Lawsuit Keeps Square Footage Off Home...

Lawsuit Keeps Square Footage Off Home Listings

There are 14 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Jul 1, 2010, titled Lawsuit Keeps Square Footage Off Home Listings. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

Due to a lawsuit, Bowman vs. Presley, realtors are opting out and not posting square footage stats to protect the real estate industry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

Mr Giggles

Tulsa, OK

#1 Jul 1, 2010
Was it a slow news day or what?
shizzle

Sapulpa, OK

#2 Jul 1, 2010
oklahoma is straight reytarded.
West Sider

Sand Springs, OK

#3 Jul 1, 2010
Oh for cryin out loud! So why not just list it as approximate square footage? Or add a disclaimer? Why is it that the "learned" law makers seem dumber and the "uneducated" rednecks seem smarter? It's because the common people use a little common sense.
sitat

Tulsa, OK

#4 Jul 1, 2010
West Sider wrote:
Oh for cryin out loud! So why not just list it as approximate square footage? Or add a disclaimer? Why is it that the "learned" law makers seem dumber and the "uneducated" rednecks seem smarter? It's because the common people use a little common sense.
They could do the "approximate" route; in fact they were .... it's a range ie, 2300/2500 sq ft. Why the law suit was allowed to go forward is beyond me. I think the realtors see a bird's nest on the ground, tho ..... true cost of a house is "cost per sq ft" .... you should be able to divide the price by the cost per sq ft, and you should get that approximate. However, that now gets muddled by when the realtor sez "well, we really don't know what the true sq footage is .... but you could PAY for your own measurement." .... done by companies owned by ...... guess ...REALTORS.
tazzman

Newcastle, OK

#5 Jul 2, 2010
Man i'am glad they told me about this, I would have never went to sleep tonight.
Andre

Norman, OK

#6 Jul 2, 2010
That is a crock. There is not any way that I would buy a house without knowing the square footage of the house. Any one could say a house is 2000 square feet and then find out that is was only 1500 square feet. There should always be more than one appraiser estimate in volved. If there is not, then that appraiser should explain how he made the estimate so that a person can check it out.
no way

United States

#7 Jul 2, 2010
Andre wrote:
That is a crock. There is not any way that I would buy a house without knowing the square footage of the house. Any one could say a house is 2000 square feet and then find out that is was only 1500 square feet. There should always be more than one appraiser estimate in volved. If there is not, then that appraiser should explain how he made the estimate so that a person can check it out.
Caveat Emptor, much more so in this economy.All that Realtors are there for is to shake down any living, breathing, house buying notion of a person for their money.
DLB

United States

#8 Sep 29, 2010
sitat wrote:
<quoted text>
They could do the "approximate" route; in fact they were .... it's a range ie, 2300/2500 sq ft. Why the law suit was allowed to go forward is beyond me. I think the realtors see a bird's nest on the ground, tho ..... true cost of a house is "cost per sq ft" .... you should be able to divide the price by the cost per sq ft, and you should get that approximate. However, that now gets muddled by when the realtor sez "well, we really don't know what the true sq footage is .... but you could PAY for your own measurement." .... done by companies owned by ...... guess ...REALTORS.
I would be GLAD to show you the original ad listing which does not have the word approximate ANYWHERE in it. The home was listed as 2890 sq feet as a stated matter of fact. No ranges. The Oklahoma Supreme Court UNANIMOUSLY ruled that a buyer can rely on the stated square footage from a realtor as FACT. Oklahoma went wrong when it allowed realtors to represent BOTH the buyer and the seller (dual realtors). Fiduciary duty my foot! It's GREED is what it is. Don't EVER EVER EVER EVER hire a dual realtor!
DLB

United States

#9 Sep 29, 2010
Those SAME realtors are the ones that will bring you what they call COMPS with the price per sq footage highlighted so they can help you determine a "fair market value" for your own property. Build 2 houses side by side. Use the exact same material for each but make one house 703 sq feet bigger than the other. YOU TELL ME which house will be worth more? DUH!
KaRl ScHnEiDeR

Tulsa, OK

#10 Sep 30, 2010
My footage is not square. It's kind of oblong.
itchycrawly

United States

#11 Oct 1, 2010
It comes down to all about price/sq.ft..
Square footage under roof, square footage liveable space, square footage living space, square footage house measured by perimeter?
Realtards will engage any of these in a neighborhood of 'like'or 'eimilar' homes in order to advantage their paper listing.
I would never pay anyone else, no appraiser, nobody to give me what they dictate as measurements and square footage. Heck, that's easily down by interior wall 2 wall measurements by me. I will include bathrooms, only if they have so much room for a vanity table/seat/estra storage cabinet 4 stock of sundries. Same with closets, if they have furniture room.
In certain sun climate states, I will look at the construction(is it roofed? Screened? Conditioned optional? etc?) and then include it in my personal living space.
Converted garages may or may not count in the same manner. Bad if there is no other garaging on the property. Bad if original garage not conditioned,flooring elevated, etc.-then it's not another room.
Hamp Thomas

Sanford, NC

#12 Jan 5, 2011
Why is the real estate industry special? Every other industry has a measurement "standard." Builders, architects, agents, appraisers, assessors, and insurance agents should all have one nationally mandated measurement standard. Most professionals don't seem to care which method, as long as everybody uses the same one. So why doesn't ANSI become mandatory in every state?? It might make it all much easier. In this business, as usual, "it depends on who you ask."

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#13 Jan 5, 2011
Sounds to me like they want more inquiries about the houses listed by leaving out some of the most important information a home buyer wants to know. With more inquiries they are likely to show off the house without knowing the approx. sq. footage to get people in the door.

When people call or want to look at a home then the realtor can start to sell them on other homes. It's a sales opportunity to be made is all. Under the guise of a lawsuit that has been made.

They mention how staircases and stair wells can throw off the sq. ft. and the potential buyer can assume the square footage amount by guessing for themselves? How stupid. How unprofessional.

I clean houses for a living and you'd be amazed how many people think they live in a 1,200 sq. ft. house (and want that kind of cleaning price) and it's more like 2,900 sq. ft.

According to public records, they can be seriously wrong on their information too. I live in a home built around 1912 and the court records say 1964.
Dont matter

Denver, CO

#14 May 14, 2012
Wheres my lawsuit. I was divested of one whole house between two brokers assessor lawyer and appraisor. I cannot buy another home, these fraudsters made me so skinny. Case of the disappearing home. Now they defraud the whole neighborhood by not even paying taxes on rental property.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Buying Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Real Estate Agents: Single-Family Homes a Hot R... (Jun '12) 18 hr abdwap 237
News Buying homes tough for young families (Aug '14) May 15 BBromberg 4
News Turnbull's weird stab at fixing house prices May 9 beatlesintheblog 4
Problems with Ryan Homes in VA? May 4 cmolchany 1
News How to Make Your Dream Home a Reality Apr 27 Try 1
News 6 things Gen Xers should do now to boost their ... Apr '16 billink 1
News Elizabeth Crane finds a new place and her voice... Apr '16 Sheri Ann 1
More from around the web