Citing water concerns, planners reject bid for new home in Bolinas

Mar 8, 2010 Read more: Marin Independent Journal 55
A Corte Madera couple's bid to build a home on the Bolinas Mesa was dashed by county planners Monday amid concern that a water well plan would limit the development potential of neighboring properties. Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Helen Turnbull

Ross, CA

#1 Mar 8, 2010
There's a water meter (water hook up) going up soon for sale at auction in Bolinas for $300,000 minimum bid. Perhaps the Dwaileebes would like to buy it.
Rufus_ Firefly

Palo Alto, CA

#2 Mar 8, 2010
Helen Turnbull wrote:
There's a water meter (water hook up) going up soon for sale at auction in Bolinas for $300,000 minimum bid. Perhaps the Dwaileebes would like to buy it.
Perhaps the Dwaileebe family can not afford to pay $300,000 for a water meter especially since they already have three wells on their property? What would you do in that situation?
Happy

Mill Valley, CA

#3 Mar 8, 2010
This is great that someone was told they can't build because there's no water. lets hope they tell 99% more the same thing .. Thanks again
Dave

Corte Madera, CA

#4 Mar 8, 2010
They should not be able to restrict the value of the neighboring parcels.
Its about time someone stood up to to bullies who are also PIGS.
scred up jobs

Richmond, CA

#5 Mar 8, 2010
They should of claimed to be illegal aliens and would not have had a problem.
the county would have probably helped them pay for it.
Tax Payer

Palo Alto, CA

#6 Mar 8, 2010
You have to read the article to understand the situation!

The Dwaileebes have permitted water source from WELLS!
They have the permit to build the septic. They have the house designed. Basically they already have everything ready to go BUT it's all politics!
Rufus_ Firefly

Palo Alto, CA

#7 Mar 8, 2010
Dave wrote:
They should not be able to restrict the value of the neighboring parcels.
Its about time someone stood up to to bullies who are also PIGS.
Well Dave,The question is who is being restricted? The undevelopable lots with no water or the Dwaileebe property which has water but they are not allowed a permit to use their own water from existing wells....there is such a thing as water rights in California and Marin.
Koalabear2525

United States

#8 Mar 8, 2010
I would go ahead and build the house . what are they going to sell it ? then I would get the meter . But Bolinas is the place that no one is to know where it is .

Since: Apr 09

Marin County, CA

#9 Mar 8, 2010
Here's hoping they sue the snot out of everyone who helps Bolinas run their little cartel. Bolinas attempts to illegally limit development of otherwise fully approved parcels by creating a false "water shortage", largely by having the local water district fail to take measures to fulfill its mission: to supply water to the parcels within its district.

A little federal civil-rights action here could go a long way--especially when these self-appointed water gods realize that they may be PERSONALLY liable for damages when they deny civil rights to people.(And there isn't a requirement that the victims be a "protected class"--an attempt to deny rights to "outsiders" is an attempt to deny the right of all citizens to move about freely. Look at the cases on limiting voting rights by time of residency and think about how that applies to outsiders wanting to set up municipal services in Bolinas.)
Bobo Tempo

San Francisco, CA

#10 Mar 8, 2010
Sorry, no second home building for the wealthy over the hill crowd. You really want a place in Bolinas? Buy one that is for sale.
Sweetwater

Palo Alto, CA

#11 Mar 8, 2010
Many assumptions are being made here..while the land in Bolinas is being reserved for the truly wealthy:those who can afford $300,000 just to have a tap turned on when water IS there. And a modest, primary (not secondary) residence request is looked down upon..ironic, from a bunch of old hippies who got it all when it was cheap, no less, and now feel the right to special privilege and special laws, apparently. A Former Bolinas resident
Bostin

San Rafael, CA

#12 Mar 8, 2010
There is limited water in Bolinas, and no extra. That is the problem. They have had a moritorium on new hookups for 40 years.
The Bolinas Public Utilities District is completely seperate and isolated from the MMWD, so "over the hill" politics don't apply. They are not a wealthy water district like the MMWD, and no, they cannot afford a desalination plant or a pipeline to Lake Sonoma (but neither can the MMWD). So developers will have to either dig their own wells where they can afford to buy the surrounding land to support the water table, buy one of the coveted water meters for $300,000, or buy a water truck and truck in their own water from somewhere else. A nice water truck can be had for $50,000 plus hiring a driver with proper insurance would be around $50,000 per year.
Water supply is the single most powerful factor to stop unwanted development. If every Tom, Dick and Harry were allowed to build whatever they want in Bolinas, it would be another Pacifica. Condos, apartments and townhomes perched on crumbling cliffs. Then the corporations would have to start begging for welfare from the taxpayers to shore up the cliffs like in Pacifica, which in turn trashes the coastline and limits public access. No thanks.
If you want to build anything anywhere at all, go to Novato. They welcome any and all development proposals with open arms, and they have plenty of Sonoma County water too.
Sweetwater

Palo Alto, CA

#13 Mar 8, 2010
...oh, and then everyone starts complaining about gentrification!Let's put 2 & 2 together here..
Marin nonprofits

San Leandro, CA

#14 Mar 8, 2010
You can't build in Bolinas; thank God for hippies who had the foresight to get on the water commission.
acqua via

Danville, CA

#15 Mar 8, 2010
From the Article: "A Corte Madera couple's bid to build a home on the Bolinas Mesa was dashed by county planners Monday amid concern that a water well plan would limit the development potential of neighboring properties."

Sounds like a cool catch 22 if one wants to stop development. So, EVERY property in Bolinas could be impacted by a neighbor's plan. Next it won't be a well, but light. The county won't let houses get built because it might impact a potential neighbor's house.

What this means, of course, is Bolinas will become more expensive, so bye bye poor people.

This is headed to a lawsuit, as it should.
Hennessey

Palo Alto, CA

#16 Mar 8, 2010
That Dwaileebe guy is only trying to build one house for his family and he already has water. What does that have to do with the water shortage or
over-development. One house with it's own water supply.It sounds pretty reasonable. Maybe his development is being restricted by the unbuildable lots next door? After all they can't build without water am I right?
acqua via

Danville, CA

#17 Mar 8, 2010
"That Dwaileebe guy is only trying to build one house for his family and he already has water. What does that have to do with the water shortage or
over-development. One house with it's own water supply.It sounds pretty reasonable. Maybe his development is being restricted by the unbuildable lots next door? After all they can't build without water am I right?"

you're probably right but reason doesnt' have much to do with what is going on. God forbid a guy had water on his property and would want to build. Isn't that how it used to be? and the folks with water were the lucky ones with the valuable property? now, the folks with water are screwed becuase their neighbors who don't have water might want it. Geez
revenue squad

San Leandro, CA

#18 Mar 8, 2010
I'm glad they can't build. Why? There's two real
reasons:

1. It's a beautiful area; even modest growth would bring in Whinney Rich Folks.

2. When I looked into buying an infamous $10,000 lot, I was told I couldn't even camp on it. It
completely took me by surprise. How can a county
have so much authority? Took the sails out of my plans. Looked at the constitution. Went crazy.
To any young buck out there--make your mark while
you're feeling well. Every decade will bring surprises. In your twenties, it's all about the fuzzy, and getting away from your hypocritical parents. In your
late 40's, you will become jaded. What was important in your younger years will be much less
important. Hang on to people who get better with
age--most don't. Stay away from angry, narcissists. Oh, yea--
don't get married. Don't take advantage of the poor and uninformed. Vote! Vote! and Vote!

Since: Feb 08

Hana, HI

#19 Mar 8, 2010
Bobo Tempo wrote:
Sorry, no second home building for the wealthy over the hill crowd. You really want a place in Bolinas? Buy one that is for sale.
I agree. There are plenty of nice houses for sale in Bolinas, so instead of trying to cram in more, use what exists. Brilliant ! What a concept.
Hennessey

Palo Alto, CA

#20 Mar 8, 2010
Pulipaca wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. There are plenty of nice houses for sale in Bolinas, so instead of trying to cram in more, use what exists. Brilliant ! What a concept.
Great idea for those who have $600,000 available but if you can't afford a home in Marin unless you build one with you own two hands? Some people assume that everyone in Marin is wealthy but it is not the case.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Building Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Most Cool and Clever Home Upgrades Mar 27 rahulsharma55 1
News U.S. home construction rises 4.4 percent in Dec... Mar 26 calebhart54 2
News How HGTV Canada built a specialty powerhouse an... Mar '15 damon-bennett 1
News Home builder's president says industry hobbled ... Mar '15 ABochsa 2
Sliding patio doors energy efficient or not? (Jun '14) Jan '15 Pavlos Lombardi 2
News NM construction industry impacted by immigratio... Dec '14 Cricket 23 3
Modifying/Reviewing Stock Internet Architectura... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jim 1
More from around the web