Puttin' on the ribs: Aztec man gets i...

Puttin' on the ribs: Aztec man gets in on barbecue biz

There are 71 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Jun 24, 2011, titled Puttin' on the ribs: Aztec man gets in on barbecue biz. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Carl Vandruff's new barbecue joint is a taste of home. Truly, it is. The property on which Aztec's new Red Barn Barbecue stands is the very same property on which Vandruff's childhood home stood.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

Seriously

Albuquerque, NM

#22 Jun 24, 2011
johnny reb wrote:
<quoted text> Actually I only throw a fit when I pay good money for a meal AND service that wasn't worth it. Again.......SERIOUS TEXAS BBQ is the best !!!!!
you must have some stock in Serious Texas BBQ, cuz seriously....that place is terrible! Spare Rib rules Farmington for BBQ, but I'll have to try out what Aztec has to offer sometime.
Mom

Pueblo Of Acoma, NM

#23 Jun 24, 2011
johnny reb wrote:
I don't know what the big deal is. We've been there ONCE and we were not impressed at all !!! Meat was dry and cold and service was slow and rude. We'll take Serious Texas BBQ anytime !!!!!
My family has been there many times. This place is great! Their service was prompt, and kind. I love the fact that they offer kids meals at a decent price! The pulled pork taste the best to me, my dad liked the ribs. My husband liked the beans, said it tasted like momma made. Serious Texas BBQ is good, but guess that they are in Farmington and Durango. I like our RED BARN being right here in Aztec. Thanks Vandruff's for bringing this to our small town!!
johnny reb

Pueblo Of Acoma, NM

#24 Jun 24, 2011
American citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that you need to give it another shot. This place is excellent. I go there at least once a week and always get great food and great service. But like the other person said, maybe your just looking for flaws everywhere you go.
Excuse me !!! I will NOT be giving it another try. I only let myself get burned once and learn from my mistake. I am just glad that I checked it out first before I took 30 family members there for a graduation dinner !!!! Whew.....I thank my lucky stars. And fyi, I was not looking for flaws just a decent meal and service and cleanliness.
johnny reb

Pueblo Of Acoma, NM

#25 Jun 24, 2011
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
you must have some stock in Serious Texas BBQ, cuz seriously....that place is terrible! Spare Rib rules Farmington for BBQ, but I'll have to try out what Aztec has to offer sometime.
And YOU must be high !!!! Spare Rib is ok but STBBQ is the best bbq around here.

Since: Apr 09

Haras Cay, Belize

#26 Jun 24, 2011
Good on ya, I am going to eat there. I would say today or tomorrow, but that would fill your place with people who I'm sure carry guns. But it would get you a crowd regardless.

(I have eaten there and the food was EXCELLENT)...the people nice and the place clean. It's just off the betten path...

So, if you want to see the real 2cool come on down, we could even sit next to each other and you may not know it. Try to find WALDO?.....see ya there.

I hope Eugene-Earl and Friends come on down!
Maybe

Albuquerque, NM

#27 Jun 24, 2011
johnny reb wrote:
<quoted text> And YOU must be high !!!! Spare Rib is ok but STBBQ is the best bbq around here.
if you like rotten cole slaw and stale potato salad, and those nasty cherries in the sauce, go for it.
notah

Farmington, NM

#28 Jun 24, 2011
Pull pork sandwich was very good, but not the cole slaw-too much mayo.
BBQ Kid

Farmington, NM

#29 Jun 24, 2011
Serious Texas BBQ ain't that hot!

Farmington or Durango....I'll pass.

Been to both...ONCE....not that hot!
Sucky

Rio Rancho, NM

#30 Jun 24, 2011
johnny reb wrote:
I don't know what the big deal is. We've been there ONCE and we were not impressed at all !!! Meat was dry and cold and service was slow and rude. We'll take Serious Texas BBQ anytime !!!!!
THANK you! I went once and hardly anyone was there and the wait was 10 mins just for a pulled pork sandwich. And boy let me tell you it was bland as hell and really dry. You're totally right about Serious Texas. Their pulled pork is really moist and has onion and pepper in it too. This place just plops some dry meat onto what is more of a hot dog bun if anything. And talk about a load of BS with the BBQ sauce. It's so generic I figured they get it by the 55 gallon drum from Sam's Club.

Don't count on this place being a permanent fixture.

(Must be a slow news day too)
concerned

Rio Rancho, NM

#31 Jun 24, 2011
johnny reb wrote:
<quoted text> Excuse me !!! I will NOT be giving it another try. I only let myself get burned once and learn from my mistake. I am just glad that I checked it out first before I took 30 family members there for a graduation dinner !!!! Whew.....I thank my lucky stars. And fyi, I was not looking for flaws just a decent meal and service and cleanliness.
so, where did you take them for graduation dinner??? who accomidated 30 ??
Coolio

Farmington, NM

#32 Jun 24, 2011
Muslim Mikey wrote:
How much for one rib?
Got change for a hundred? I'm gonna get you sucka!!
Cynical Optimist

Albuquerque, NM

#34 Jun 24, 2011
Good luck Red Barn. This area is always particularly rough on new eating establishments. Especially "home owned" ones. "If it ain't on the TV...it ain't good" attutide. But these same people will go to a national franchise chain and happily pay more money for a lesser quality food and eat it up!
Hang in there, Red Barn. Keep your place clean, put out a quality product with a smile on your face. I hope you're still here in 20 years!
Just Sayn

Albuquerque, NM

#35 Jun 24, 2011
This guy is a "SNAKE"!!! He used his brother to build this restaurant form the ground up and two months after the restaurant is up and running, he fires his brother that prepared this business. The reasoning was for not yielding HIGH profits (like they’re supposed to be rolling in the dough the first two months). The BBQ sauce recipe he stole from his other brother. I guess you do what you gotta do to make a buck huh? Just like his other business the company he started working for that the boss trusted him so much while he was away on vacation out blossoms carls repair shop taking all the clients from the company he was working for with him. MONEY is more important than anything else this just goes to so how true that is.
My two cents!!!
Just Say'n
P.S. I think he's like other brother that was mentioned here in this thread, but hasnt got caught.
johnny reb

Pueblo Of Acoma, NM

#36 Jun 24, 2011
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
so, where did you take them for graduation dinner??? who accomidated 30 ??
Well with some good planning and some great friends, we grilled a fantastic feast of steaks and all the fixins in our own back yard at a fraction of the cost I might add. Oh the compliments went on and on......hey I think I just might open a restaurant !!! Anyone know where I can get a building??? lol...Oh and it's spelled "accomodated".

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#37 Jun 24, 2011
johnny reb wrote:
<quoted text> Oh and it's spelled "accomodated".
accommodated
BigGov

United States

#38 Jun 24, 2011
Yep, the food must be terrible, every time I pass by at noon the parking lot is full.
In a small town if the food & service is bad word gets around fast.
As soon as I sell enough aluminum cans I am going to try it.
johnny reb

Pueblo Of Acoma, NM

#39 Jun 24, 2011
MelanieThinker wrote:
<quoted text>
accommodated
Oops my bad.......thanks Melanie :)
aztec alien

Pueblo Of Acoma, NM

#40 Jun 24, 2011
BigGov wrote:
Yep, the food must be terrible, every time I pass by at noon the parking lot is full.
In a small town if the food & service is bad word gets around fast.
As soon as I sell enough aluminum cans I am going to try it.
Must be the "best of the worst" huh ???? lol

Since: Apr 09

Haras Cay, Belize

#41 Jun 24, 2011
Melanie, come on gal, don't YOU start this "Spelling Police" stuff. God know's I am the world's worst speller.(See) and for what ever reason there is no spell check here. And (fact) I type about 80-85 WPM, and sometimes I don't know who is 'driving' these old fingres.(and I type faster than I think most of the time - but that showes I'm sure from the names I have been called. And Cary, Great--Scott has called ME every thing but White! Like you I said "Prove it"..and like you...it can't be done.

Anyway....just my opinoin here

Red Barn in Aztec was very good all around.
Spare Rib in Farmington.....ok..but that's all
Serious Texas BBQ...no for me, but then every one likes something different.(About the only thing I will not eat is a "Beet"...I would reather lick the floor board of a New York Taxi Cab than eat a beet"...but again, that is just me.

Ergo....I enjoyed the Red Barn and hope they do well.

(Mel, for God sake please don't grade MY spelling)
Kowabunga

Farmington, NM

#42 Jun 24, 2011
I miss Snappy's BBQ!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Muslims reject reincarnation 5 hr Dawn of Reality 2
News Chemical-free swimming pool to open in North Mi... 11 hr Tellitlikeitis 54
News Equity makes an acquisition in Independence 18 hr It is obvious 5
News Community Spotlight: Halfacre Construction Comp... 20 hr nuryapistore 1
News Four arrested in cocaine, heroin bust (Feb '09) 22 hr Pissed Off Taxpayer 95
News Affordable housing plan for Ruidoso approved Fri Hopefull Resident 4
News Giant hogweed continues to sprout in Milton Fri GTA 1
More from around the web