Pros, cons of wood-pellet stoves

Pros, cons of wood-pellet stoves

There are 53 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jul 5, 2008, titled Pros, cons of wood-pellet stoves. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

They also produce low emissions. n Cleanup is easy because the pellets create less ash than wood.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Lin

Faridabad, India

#21 Dec 2, 2008
I have trouble with my pellet stove my fire goes out! I really do not know what to do!!! Can some one Please help me. I know I have the flue on right, but also the other day the embers weere going out the flue also, please help!!!!
Mom2CO3

Palisade, CO

#22 Dec 4, 2008
My husband was determined to get a pellet stove, because our propane bill is outrageous. But since talking with a wood stove salesman he has switched his thinking.

Main reasons he changed his mind was the guy told him Pellet stoves will soot up the side of your house. The flew needs to constantly be kept clean and pellet stove parts tend to fail frequently. He also told us there is a shortage of pellets in the east right now.

Anyone have any opinions? I am frustrated with my husband at this point. He had me sold on a pellet stove and now he is changing his mind! Thanks, Mom
Mom2CO3

Palisade, CO

#23 Dec 4, 2008
Forgot to say that now my husband wants to get a wood burning stove.

I am home all day with our kids and do not want to maintain the wood burning stove.

Acquiring firewood is no problem, we live on acreage and have access to as much wood as we need.
Tony

Belmont, MA

#24 Dec 4, 2008
There is a shortage of pellets this year. My friend had his check returned to him for the pellets he purchased. Now he has to pay for oil and has a stove that's just taking up space. I'm glad I changed my mind.
Mom2CO3

Palisade, CO

#25 Dec 4, 2008
This sales guy told my husband a pellet manufacturing plant is "supposed" to be built in our area soon, but you know how rumors go........
Pellet Guy

United States

#26 Dec 4, 2008
Lets start with Lin...
the fire goes out....you will have to elaborate a little more. Is it running out of fuel? What does the burn pot look like when it goes out?
have you tried giving the stove a good cleaning?
And have you tried different brands of pellets. Some brands just plain don't burn well.
If your stove is a top feed model...you will have issues with substandard pellets. Bottom feeders will burn just about any quality pellet.
Pellet Guy

United States

#27 Dec 4, 2008
sholloway wrote:
Pellet Guy in Atlanta, I'm in Alpharetta and I just bought one off Craig's list and it needs a repair. Do you have a reliable service option for a Quadrafire Mt Vernon? Thanx.
Sorry only my server resides in Atlanta..sometiems CT.
But i am actually located in Massachusetts!
Pellet Guy

United States

#28 Dec 4, 2008
Mom2CO3 wrote:
My husband was determined to get a pellet stove, because our propane bill is outrageous. But since talking with a wood stove salesman he has switched his thinking.
Main reasons he changed his mind was the guy told him Pellet stoves will soot up the side of your house. The flew needs to constantly be kept clean and pellet stove parts tend to fail frequently. He also told us there is a shortage of pellets in the east right now.
Anyone have any opinions? I am frustrated with my husband at this point. He had me sold on a pellet stove and now he is changing his mind! Thanks, Mom
Pellets burn cleaner than wood. So the soot on the side of the house is more from the sub standard stove installation. If you make sure the pipe clears the eves you really should have no problem with this. As a matter of fact...pellet stoves are safer than wood stoves by far. When a pellet stove exhaust becomes plugged...it is from fly ash...therefore the fire just goes out. When the same happens in wood stoves it is because of creosote. That is a chimney fire. It will burn down your house. You have to clean the flue of both at least yearly.
Another argument in favor of pellets is...lug around 40 lbs of cord wood. then lift a bag of pellets. Which is easier?
The pellet shortage is bad this year. But I attribute this to many new people entering the pellet market for the first time this year driven by high oil prices. The stove manufacturers and the pellets mills have been balls out trying to meet demand. But you can get pellets at least in New England if you are willing to pay top dollar for them. My advice is wait till the spring when all these oil burners will be selling their expensive pellet burners because it was too much work.
Pellet Guy

United States

#29 Dec 4, 2008
Tony wrote:
There is a shortage of pellets this year. My friend had his check returned to him for the pellets he purchased. Now he has to pay for oil and has a stove that's just taking up space. I'm glad I changed my mind.
Tell your friend to head on down to Home Depot.
5.79 a bag last time I was there.
Pellet Guy

United States

#30 Dec 4, 2008
Mom2CO3 wrote:
Forgot to say that now my husband wants to get a wood burning stove.
I am home all day with our kids and do not want to maintain the wood burning stove.
Acquiring firewood is no problem, we live on acreage and have access to as much wood as we need.
As stated pellets are easier to transport. Both stoves need about the same amount of maintenance to burn at peak efficiency. Though it is usually more critical keeping the pellet stove clean. The ash from a pellet stove is of a very fine nature. So do not attempt to use a standard house vacuum to suck them up. It will kill it in short order. Get a dedicated ash vac. Well worth the money for either stove...but a must for pellet stoves.
Pellet Guy

United States

#31 Dec 4, 2008
http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/foru...

Check out the Pellet Mill and Corn Crib.
Lots of good stuff about pellet stoves there.
Cid E Slicker

Boston, MA

#32 Dec 4, 2008
fairway wrote:
With every one buying pellet stoves, they could run out of pellets.
About three ago there was a shortage of pellets and the price went up.
Linda C

AOL

#33 Jan 18, 2009
I'm having an intermittent problem of the pellets backing up - unburned - in the chute from the main holding box. My question is: Is there a possibility of fire going up that chute and into the main box? This has happened 4 times in the last 2 months. I'm working all day long and am very concerned about a fire. Is this possible? What might be the problem? All ideas will be appreciated. Thaks, Linda
SouthBeachBum

United States

#34 Jan 24, 2009
Linda C wrote:
I'm having an intermittent problem of the pellets backing up - unburned - in the chute from the main holding box. My question is: Is there a possibility of fire going up that chute and into the main box? This has happened 4 times in the last 2 months. I'm working all day long and am very concerned about a fire. Is this possible? What might be the problem? All ideas will be appreciated. Thaks, Linda
Your stove needs a through cleaning,I had the same problem with my Mt. Vernon AE. Unburned pellets backing up the feed tube and causing an error message on the wall controller. After some investigation I found that the air flow to the stove was restricted due to ash buildup in the heat exchanger and exhaust pipes. After cleaning the stove operated like new. Hope this helps.
Missing Information

Dracut, MA

#35 Jan 24, 2009
Mom2CO3 wrote:
Check out this website: www.woodstove.com They make wood stoves made with Soapstone. They are awesome!!!
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#36 Jan 24, 2009
Cid E Slicker wrote:
<quoted text>About three ago there was a shortage of pellets and the price went up.
http://www.pelletsales.com/
Steve

Mansfield, OH

#37 Feb 5, 2009
We recently installed a pellet stove and like it but... There seems to be fine ash on everything in the house. Why???
Pellet Guy

United States

#38 Feb 5, 2009
Steve wrote:
We recently installed a pellet stove and like it but... There seems to be fine ash on everything in the house. Why???
How do you clean the stove?
If you aren't using an ash vac or a drywall vac...you are blowing the dust all around everytime you clean the stove.
I am dehyrated

Grand Blanc, MI

#39 Feb 5, 2009
I love a women's breasts.
tom

Nashua, NH

#40 Feb 5, 2009
am i the only one who still burns coal? talk about heat....wow!! i've had mine 20years now. its still awesome. burns clean, too. with minimal clean up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Real estate agent finds 2 women, 63 cats inside... 7 hr Marco R s Secret ... 23
News If Wal-Mart Can't Bring Manufacturing Back to A... Sat wormwood 5
News What's the best Laptop Accessories for Students? (Sep '15) Jul 20 Lu yg biang kerok... 181
News Urban bees all the buzz with recent focus on po... Jul 19 Buzz 1
News Scott Taccati enjoys the art of the deal in rea... Jul 19 Dell Gamble 1
News 6 Home Improvement Flubs That Cause Inspection ... Jul 19 Jamesking 1
News Paulson insists bailout restoring stability (Nov '08) Jul 18 Hillary Voters Ma... 21
More from around the web