Former Broward Sheriff Jenne enters guilty pleas -- South Flori...

There are 20 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Sep 5, 2007, titled Former Broward Sheriff Jenne enters guilty pleas -- South Flori.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Former Broward County Sheriff Ken Jenne left federal court on Wednesday barred from voting or holding public office, unable to own a gun and required to submit to random urine tests.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

kay

Saint Petersburg, FL

#28 Sep 6, 2007
God Bless Ken Jenne wrote:
God Bless Ken Jenne as he suffers through his trials and tribulations. I hope that he has the courage to make it through these tough times and that he comes out a better man. This is life we all make mistakes.
and we hope the courts show the same mercy he showed the deputies he hung out to dry when they were following orders passed down by the little Napoleon himself
Iknow

United States

#29 Sep 6, 2007
No tissues wrote:
Everytime I'm tempted to feel sorry for him, because we all can fall to temptation (not mistakes), I think of those underlings/deputies who he rolled under the bus and then drove the bus over their careers and lives.
Between our judges, politicians and law enforcement leadership, Broward County has a huge black eye. Perhaps we will finally remember that on election day, and clean house.
your right and i can tell you from personal knowledge, the men and women at BSO are hardworking, loyal, and trustworthy. Despite this tyranical little man, who ruled by fear, the agency became 100% better and stronger yesterday when Lamberti was put in charge and you will soon see a calmer more relaxed agency where people feel confident they can do their jobs for the rightreason and not to please ( or not to upset ) this little bug.
kay

Saint Petersburg, FL

#30 Sep 6, 2007
Vet wrote:
Great, now that the man is down everyone wants to kick him....and that has always pissed me off as if everyone on this board has never had a monument of weakness and did something wrong, myself included.
But I flat out will not kick a man when he is down.
oh please! If you so much as sneezed in his direction or tried to speak up about a problem Jenne would make sure you were fired or at least on midnight in Pompano! There are way to many people that would have kicked him when he was up....you just could never get on that floor! Napoleon was hated by most of the rank and file and he and his cronies have blood on their hands for many of the deaths at BSO. To bad that never came our and they covered it.
Bye Buddy Boyz

Orlando, FL

#31 Sep 6, 2007
KJ is an FSU law school grad, was a former state legislator, practicing attorney and sheriff. He may be a lot of things, but dumb is NOT one of them.

His crimes were not "an oversight" by any means. The acts were repeated abuses of public office, public trust and public funds. He spent millions of tax dollars for self-aggrandizing in his little kingdom. He appointed people of low morals & poor character as department heads (not a crime) such as Carney and Brennan (both former NYPD cops by the way). He promoted a director caught in shall we say, a "compromising position" in the back seat of a car with a BSO secretary [sorry, no one has forgotten]. He transferred, demoted and fired detectives and deputies as a smokescreen when his POWERTRAC criminal enterprise crashed in shambles (thanks largely in part to Carney, Brennan & Auer). The iceberg theory applies here.

Now is a time for healing. Stop with the hate. Jenne's gone, forgive and move on. Broward County Sheriff's Office will now hold its head high again. Sheriff Lamberti is an honest, caring, fair and decent human being. He will bring out the best in people. Rejoice.
FIRED BY KEN THE SCUM BAG

AOL

#32 Sep 6, 2007
SO GLAD TO SEE THIS CRIMINAL REMOVED FROM OFFICE. HE CONDONED HIS EMPLOYEES WHO ACTED LIKE CRIMINALS WITH A BADGE FOR FAR TOO LONG!!! ANYONE WHO SPOKE OUT AGAINST HIS MOTLEY CREW WAS FIRED. GOOD TO SEE THE LITTLE MAN GO TO THE BIG HOUSE. THANK YOU JESUS FOR ANSWERING MY PRAYERS...
Jeb

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#33 Sep 6, 2007
"Roger Desjarlais, the former county administrator, asked to transfer the car title to Jenne in 2005"

Is Roger "in bed" with this mess too?
Einstein

Dania, FL

#34 Sep 6, 2007
What happened to "...one of the most powerful democRats in Broward County..."?

What bothers me is that there is no mention anywhere of the prosecutors going after the people that paid/enabled Jenne to so flagrantly break the law, much less of a call from the SF Sun Sentinel atop the bully pulpit to go after these people and any other democRats involved in Jenne's scam shop. Where are you SF SS? Is your answer to run more gun-grabbing and illegal alien kumbaya pieces?

Here are some points, written by your own people, that SCREAM for investigative journalist activities:

"Jenne told one contractor, Lewis Nadel, to pay $5,500 to Jenne's secretary, Alicia Valois ...(he)... recommended two agency employees, Maj. John Carroll and Sgt. Arthur "Jay" Barnhouse, to do private work for Nadel's firm"

"Jenne got more than $38,000 from Philip Procacci
(including) a $20,000 loan, paid through one of Jenne's secretaries,..."

"One secretary, Marian Yoka, took care of his personal finances and bills. A Sheriff's Office lawyer, Kim Kisslan, and Procacci attended Lake Worth code enforcement board meetings on Jenne's behalf when code violations were filed against a property he owns ..."

This is just a small bit of what obviously was going on, as they mentioned that the statute of limitations had expired on many points. The people that did his work for him were adults in positions that ensured that they knew they were breaking the law, aiding and abetting multiple felony acts. Why don't we read about them being charged? Why did the BSO pay for their legal aid, as reported previously?

The whole thing stinks, e.g., "As the conversation ended, Jenne patted Sullivan on the arm and said: "Good seeing you." ... Is this indicative of someone sweet-dealing ?

Finally, take another look at this:

"When the judge asked a standard question about his mental health, Jenne said he saw a psychiatrist twice in the past few weeks. "It was just something, friends had suggested it because I was going through a trying time," he said."

Is this the lawyer, Jenne, trying to create an escape route? Did the judge, either through incompetence or sweet dealing, allow him to construct this shyster's device?

What is going on here? Jenne should have been nailed to the wall, with any leniency at all dependent upon him ratting out everyone else suspected of corruption ... what the heck is going on here? Where are the screams of ... partiality to a politician that has proven himself to be a serial felon leading when he is supposed to be the paragon of legal credibility?

It is time to take down corruption everywhere. It costs us way too much and completely foils the rule of law. It is time for a corruption bill that puts away people for many, many years in a pen that houses the downside of criminality. These guys don't deserve to end up in places where they can sit in stir in peace. This is not equal justice.
toothy

Kilgore, TX

#35 Sep 6, 2007
I will be writing the Judge to request a harsher sentence than 24 months.
This man violated the public trust all the time he was the #1 law enforcement officer. He needs to be treated like a thug and shake down artist that he is, 20 to 30 years in jail will restore public faith in the BSO.
Show us no one is above the law, throw the key away send him up the river without a paddle. DIE IN JAIL LOSER. Hope you enjoyed your piece of crap convertible benz.
skippy

Boca Raton, FL

#36 Sep 6, 2007
Does this mean he'll be starring in a different role on COPS ?
toothy

Kilgore, TX

#37 Sep 6, 2007
Oh and by the way, just one more feather in our cap for being Florida SCAM CAPITAL OF AMERICA.

His entire record as Sheriff is out the window, we dont care about any of the good he did we'll just focus on the fact he was corrupt from day one.

Time to investigage EVERYTHING he was invovled with. If this clown participated in placing people in jail they should be hiring attorneys.
Joe

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#38 Sep 6, 2007
"Now is a time for healing. Stop with the hate. Jenne's gone, forgive and move on. Broward County Sheriff's Office will now hold its head high again. Sheriff Lamberti is an honest, caring, fair and decent human being. He will bring out the best in people. Rejoice."

How long do you think it will be before this power goes to Lamberti's head? Do you think he will be unlike all of those that he follows and actually remain honest? I hope so!
concerned one

United States

#39 Sep 6, 2007
NOW they are using different wording in their references to this case of Ken Jenne. Now they are saying he "faces prospects of going to prison". "PROSPECTS" is the operative word here. It means there is just a possibility. Prior to now they have been saying if he accepted the plea deal he would serve some prison time. I don't understand all this legal finangling. All that needs to be done is strap him in the chair and throw the switch and justice will have been done.
concerned one

United States

#40 Sep 6, 2007
Einstein wrote:
What happened to "...one of the most powerful democRats in Broward County..."?
What bothers me is that there is no mention anywhere of the prosecutors going after the people that paid/enabled Jenne to so flagrantly break the law, much less of a call from the SF Sun Sentinel atop the bully pulpit to go after these people and any other democRats involved in Jenne's scam shop. Where are you SF SS? Is your answer to run more gun-grabbing and illegal alien kumbaya pieces?
Here are some points, written by your own people, that SCREAM for investigative journalist activities:
"Jenne told one contractor, Lewis Nadel, to pay $5,500 to Jenne's secretary, Alicia Valois ...(he)... recommended two agency employees, Maj. John Carroll and Sgt. Arthur "Jay" Barnhouse, to do private work for Nadel's firm"
"Jenne got more than $38,000 from Philip Procacci
(including) a $20,000 loan, paid through one of Jenne's secretaries,..."
"One secretary, Marian Yoka, took care of his personal finances and bills. A Sheriff's Office lawyer, Kim Kisslan, and Procacci attended Lake Worth code enforcement board meetings on Jenne's behalf when code violations were filed against a property he owns ..."
This is just a small bit of what obviously was going on, as they mentioned that the statute of limitations had expired on many points. The people that did his work for him were adults in positions that ensured that they knew they were breaking the law, aiding and abetting multiple felony acts. Why don't we read about them being charged? Why did the BSO pay for their legal aid, as reported previously?
The whole thing stinks, e.g., "As the conversation ended, Jenne patted Sullivan on the arm and said: "Good seeing you." ... Is this indicative of someone sweet-dealing ?
Finally, take another look at this:
"When the judge asked a standard question about his mental health, Jenne said he saw a psychiatrist twice in the past few weeks. "It was just something, friends had suggested it because I was going through a trying time," he said."
Is this the lawyer, Jenne, trying to create an escape route? Did the judge, either through incompetence or sweet dealing, allow him to construct this shyster's device?
What is going on here? Jenne should have been nailed to the wall, with any leniency at all dependent upon him ratting out everyone else suspected of corruption ... what the heck is going on here? Where are the screams of ... partiality to a politician that has proven himself to be a serial felon leading when he is supposed to be the paragon of legal credibility?
It is time to take down corruption everywhere. It costs us way too much and completely foils the rule of law. It is time for a corruption bill that puts away people for many, many years in a pen that houses the downside of criminality. These guys don't deserve to end up in places where they can sit in stir in peace. This is not equal justice.
Excellent post!
Freedom Lover

United States

#41 Sep 6, 2007
Why only 24 months? That isn't near enough. People spend 20+ years in prison for stealing little things stereos or ipods. This guy stole over $1 million dollars (and that is only what we know about). Also, he wasn't just a commissioner or county official... he was THE chief law enforcement officer in one of the most populous counties in the US. Only 24 months for year after year of crime... turning himself into a millionaire? Where do I apply?
john

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42 Sep 6, 2007
I feel bad for Ken.
Kelly

Deerfield Beach, FL

#43 Sep 6, 2007
Vet wrote:
Great, now that the man is down everyone wants to kick him....and that has always pissed me off as if everyone on this board has never had a monument of weakness and did something wrong, myself included.
But I flat out will not kick a man when he is down.
I feel the same way. He will be paying a huge price, his famiy even more so. Let's move on.
YouWantMeToWhat

Miami Beach, FL

#44 Sep 6, 2007
Before Jenne got the job, they offered it to Tom Carney, who was the undersheriff. He turned it down because "I'm a cop, not a politician." Smart man who took a bullet for Jenne a couple of years ago. Hope Lamberti stays a cop.
concerned one

United States

#45 Sep 6, 2007
Joe wrote:
"Now is a time for healing. Stop with the hate. Jenne's gone, forgive and move on. Broward County Sheriff's Office will now hold its head high again. Sheriff Lamberti is an honest, caring, fair and decent human being. He will bring out the best in people. Rejoice."
How long do you think it will be before this power goes to Lamberti's head? Do you think he will be unlike all of those that he follows and actually remain honest? I hope so!
Dream on baby. Now is the time for SENTENCING. Jenne should be made an example. Because of the trust that is placed in people who are in jobs such as he had, he must now walk the plank for his criminal behavior and breach of that trust.
Devon Toepfer

Pompano Beach, FL

#46 Sep 6, 2007
What are they going to do with all the BSO doormat rugs he put everywhere with his name on them?

He always seemed just a little full of himself.
skippy

Boca Raton, FL

#47 Sep 6, 2007
Kelly wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel the same way. He will be paying a huge price, his famiy even more so. Let's move on.
What about the huge price the community and police have to pay for the atmosphere of corruption he created ? The damage he did goes way beyond the dollars that were funneled into his pockets.

People deserve an honest, clean government and anyone who undermines that should be dealt with as severely as possible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thanksgiving Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stephenson H-S Band Marches In Macy's Parade (Nov '07) Apr 26 Xavierromao 14
News Jesus Center gives Thanksgiving meal to some wh... (Nov '09) Apr 15 Raelotta 11
News Police fired shots to stop car (Dec '09) Mar '15 I agree 9
News Framingham Removes Teacher For Alleged Racist R... Mar '15 Crunchdog66 3
News Body Of Missing Man Found In Green River Mar '15 me and myself 2
News Dog Breeder Defends Animal Horror House Claims (Nov '07) Mar '15 pei rescue 92
News Wife charged with murder (Dec '07) Mar '15 lil cory v 103
More from around the web