Ex-trooper may face 2nd trial in fond...

Ex-trooper may face 2nd trial in fondling girl

There are 88 comments on the The Clarion-Ledger story from Aug 12, 2006, titled Ex-trooper may face 2nd trial in fondling girl. In it, The Clarion-Ledger reports that:

Prosecutors plan to retry motivational speaker Pete Collins on a fondling charge, an official said Friday, a day after Collins' trial ended in a hung jury.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Clarion-Ledger.

LBHS

Dyersburg, TN

#21 Aug 29, 2007
FYI There is a reason that lie detector tests aren't allowed in court..THEY ARE NOT RELIABLE! There are too many ways to pass one when your not telling the truth! It is amazing to think that an innocent man would kill himself. I mean..appeals are possible if your innocent! Guilt gets too some of the best of us! SO SICK! This says a lot about the people he surrounds himself with.
P.S.- not many people 'shack' up in a hotel room to get real work done! Again, I have personally witnessed this man cheating on his wife!
Pete Jeffery Linda

AOL

#22 Aug 29, 2007
I was saddened by the news of what this family went through, I knew Pete personally for several years and was aware of some his short comings but never with an adolescent. Strange that his exwife, Linda, testified for the defense, then upon learning of the list of 10 girls he had molested and meeting two whom she knew very very personally at the trial, she then chose to testify for the prosecution about years of questions. What I know to be true finally came out. Debate if you will, the reality came out.
Angel

AOL

#23 Aug 29, 2007
pete collins wrote:
I suggest you find out who else pete collins has molested, and I suggest you look into how his first wife died. That'll bring some startling information.
Since I spoke to Pete Collins first wife a few hours ago someone needs to check their facts. A good man was taken away from many because of people seeking revenge.
Angel

AOL

#24 Aug 29, 2007
LBHS wrote:
Filing for divorce and being divorced are two different things. Wow, its 2007 and HE STILL ISN'T DIVORCED! Wonder if he ever planned to get a divorce?
He is divorced! how is your going are you divorced yet!
Angel

AOL

#25 Aug 30, 2007
He is divorced. Are you divorced yet?
who is the sick one

Grenada, MS

#26 Aug 30, 2007
from the tone and content of your quotes it sounds like you definately have a lot of hatred toward the woman you feel had an affair with this man. Why are you spying on people. I mean if you claim to have seen them in the hotel or whatever you wrote. Sounds really creepy! I don't recall commiting adultry having anything to do with molesting a child. I really question your motive. We dont know all of the facts. We do know that there is a family and families deeply hurting right now.
LBHS wrote:
FYI There is a reason that lie detector tests aren't allowed in court..THEY ARE NOT RELIABLE! There are too many ways to pass one when your not telling the truth! It is amazing to think that an innocent man would kill himself. I mean..appeals are possible if your innocent! Guilt gets too some of the best of us! SO SICK! This says a lot about the people he surrounds himself with.
P.S.- not many people 'shack' up in a hotel room to get real work done! Again, I have personally witnessed this man cheating on his wife!
Lauren

Diamondhead, MS

#27 Aug 30, 2007
In regards to: LBHS your commentary on Pete Collins and his affair. Firstly, who are you to talk bad about someone after they passed...Are you God?--Good thing for the rest of humanity that your opinion does not matter, but all the same you are a horrid person for doing so. Not only is what you said hurtful it just goes to show that you are a miserable person who cannot just let something end. IT IS OVER, He is dead! Let it end, let it end, let it end! Maybe he did bad things...he was human. Just because he did bad things, did that mean he deserved to die, because that is what you implied? Couldn't the good things he did out weigh the bad? Don't our teachers (which I am assuming you are) tell students there is no such thing as a bad child, only children who do bad things? Why can't you leave his mistakes alone? Instead you rub his faults in the faces of the people who survived him. I doubt your family is aware of your disgraceful conduct, if they are, they are shamed. I believe someone who gets amusement from another's pain is not only wretched, but also disturbing. Murderers and Rapists are the kind of psychos who get pleasure out of someone else's pain. And to further the situation you bring it into a place of work, supposed to be a place of education. And I believe these comments took place in a classroom, I am sure your student's parents would love to know what your curriculum consists of, "Come on kids I am going to teach you defamation today!" I am not a therapist, but I do firmly believe you should request professional help for this lashing out and hatred. However, I do have a theory: You are a middle-aged, mid-life-crisis ready, married yet still lonely/unhappy, or a divorced, and bitter woman, who has nothing better to do with her time than gossip and bash dead people in an online forum, in which you are probably too old for in the first place. I also believe you did not think that the individual you referred to would not see this, silly you. Regardless what you obviously think she is liked by some, and like you they gossip. You evidently have no thoughts what these annotations could do to the "adulterer's" family, job, etc. So in a since you too, by making these negative comments and accusations, could have ruined a family, or made people despise you for your remarks that are also mistakes, making our mistress not the only one needing to wear a Scarlet Letter.-- Daughter of the Mistress
MSB

Pinola, MS

#28 Aug 30, 2007
I have know pete for all of my life. I have been on trips with him and his family and on several occasions have been left alone with him and he has NEVER acted anything other than respectful. I think most of this is political and it is a great loss for everyone now that he is gone.
Miss u

Pinola, MS

#29 Aug 30, 2007
I don't guess that anyone has checked into the girl who made the alligations. If you had you would have know that she has done this on 3 occasions prompted by her mother for money. The justice system doesn't look at things like that they are just into getting into the headlines while all the while ruining peoples lives.
Misty

Pinola, MS

#30 Aug 30, 2007
I wish people would be so inclined to tell of all the thousands of lives saved by Captain Pete Collins during his life including mine. He has made more of an impact on teenagers lives for the good that any of us will ever make. He was always a man who gave hope, instruction and encouragement to people sometimes in the hardest times of their lives.
Observer

AOL

#31 Sep 1, 2007
I don't know if the charges were true or not.

What I do know is:
(1) 13 year old girls do lie.
(2) Guilty people do not normally take polygraph tests.
(3) Prosecutors in the Tupelo, MS area and the South in general will in fact prosecute people that they know are innocent. Why? I can not say.

These are facts that I know to be true.

I knew Pete not as a Trooper or motivational speaker, just as a former schoolmate and friend. His family has gone through so much this year with the deaths of 3 family members.

If we don't know the facts let's just pray for all parties involved. For Pete whether innocent or guilty and for the girl whether honest or dishonest. God knows the truth and it's His job to issue justice. Just let him do his job. Please.
unknown

Gulfport, MS

#32 Sep 2, 2007
It must be true. He apologized to the family in court.
Former Trooper

Birmingham, MI

#34 Sep 13, 2007
I am one of many who have known Captain Pete for several years. We've spoken many times about life's dealings, both professionally and personally. Pete has set at my table with me and my family for meals, as well as prayed together with me in difficult times.

I am not a jury, and due to my extended distance, I was unable to attend his trial. I can tell you though from a law enforcement prospective given the choice of 10 years time to serve in prison as an assumed "bad cop", or his choosing to eliminate the personal agony that he knew he was about to endure, he ultimately made the decision to forego the unthinkable consequences.

From my perspective Pete was a man of honor, and a true gentleman in all public dealings each and every time we were together. He deserves to be remembered as a hero who served his fellow man in both war and daily life, and saved many as a result of his continued commitment.

Finally, as for his apology to his accuser, anyone who knew Pete also new his gentle manner, and although it may seem out of character for most people, I believe that he chose to offer his remorse for what he believed the accuser would untimately have to face each time she looks in the mirror, NOT what he was convicted of doing.

God speed, Pete. As so many have already posted, God knows the truth and will deal with all effected parties justly. I prefer to believe that he is now among the elect, and would ask that all remember that vengence is served up by our God alone.
WWFLC

Prentiss, MS

#35 Sep 13, 2007
Pete was a good man and a dear friend of mine. I know he did not do what he was accused of doing. Only God, Pete, and his teen-age accuser know the truth. I wonder how this girl can sleep at night with an innocent man's blood on her hands.
Jill

Tupelo, MS

#36 Sep 19, 2007
I know very little about the man or his sins. However- let me say-not all sexual molesters are low-life, scummy people-there are many who are outstanding in the community...they are regular attendees of churches..they hold important positions in the work-world...they are respected in their communities-THERE IS JUST ONE SMALL SECRET PROBLEM THEY HAVE-they molest children ! On first impression, do I believe that this MHP ex-trooper/motivational speaker could possibly have done the things he is accused of ??? Yes..in a heartbeat.
rachel

Tallahassee, FL

#37 Sep 25, 2007
all of you are in my prayers
WOW

Horsham, PA

#38 Sep 26, 2007
WWFLC wrote:
Pete was a good man and a dear friend of mine. I know he did not do what he was accused of doing. Only God, Pete, and his teen-age accuser know the truth. I wonder how this girl can sleep at night with an innocent man's blood on her hands.
That a child that PETE did whatever he did probally isn't sleeping very well @ night. He did Something inappropriate with a child. He was out of place as member of his community, as a law upholding citzen and official and as a grown adult man. So whoever you are and whatever morals your holding on to, get over it! Your possibly an abuser yourself.
Russ

AOL

#39 Sep 27, 2007
I did not know Pete personaly but I do know a married woman who he started having an afair with in the early 70 and it only ends with his death.
He is burning in hell
fyi

Grenada, MS

#40 Oct 5, 2007
unknown wrote:
It must be true. He apologized to the family in court.
must not be true the clarion ledger printed a correction just this week he DID NOT apologize to the family in court. cant believe all that you read in the papers5016
INNOCENCE

Norcross, GA

#41 Oct 11, 2007
well someone tell me why an innocent man killed himself?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thanksgiving Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Turkey Testicle Festival host not ruffled by co... (Jul '15) Feb 13 Phart Splendidly 12
News Police Don't See Positive End In Search For Mis... (Nov '10) Feb 8 Moms4boys 82
News From the son of an undocumented immigrant Jan '17 Wildchild 4
News Man who scaled White House fence gets 3 years' ... Jan '17 BPT 1
News Florida man searches for missing son in Benson Jan '17 Justagirlfrompa 1
News Ten Things to Do in Denver for $10 or Less (Eig... Jan '17 Rattlesnake Pete 8
News Thinking of a real Thanksgiving Jan '17 Hasaun Aksia Lee 1
More from around the web