Santa Cruz cites Callahan's Bar for p...

Santa Cruz cites Callahan's Bar for pole dancing stage

There are 93 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Apr 2, 2010, titled Santa Cruz cites Callahan's Bar for pole dancing stage. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Following a complaint of pole dancing at Callahan's Bar on St. Patrick's Day, the city sent a formal letter of violation to the Water Street pub this week, accusing it of offering entertainment and constructing a stage without proper permits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
take another puff

San Mateo, CA

#1 Apr 2, 2010
wow! welcome to vegas! beyond goofy!
wtf

Newark, CA

#2 Apr 2, 2010
This story is worthless without pictures.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#3 Apr 2, 2010
Come on people!! Guys just trying to make a buck or two in this tough economy..Pole dancing?? who cares? If ya dont like it, dont go in the joint! SC Officals have alot more to worry about than some Floozy swinging on a pole..Sounds like something to watch and enjoy than just sitting in a Gin Mill swilling down the booze..Lighten up Santa Cruz City and pay attention to the REAL issues.(Actual crime). Johnny at the Harbor Got my Pole.

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#4 Apr 2, 2010
Horrors, a strip pole stage!
squigy

San Jose, CA

#5 Apr 2, 2010
If you build it....they will dance. I say let the guy have a permit and run a sucsessful business. Maybe the City will get a few tax bucks out of the deal?
Wow

Los Banos, CA

#6 Apr 2, 2010
wtf wrote:
This story is worthless without pictures.
There were pics....just not the ones you wanted. ;)
cheap shot

United States

#7 Apr 2, 2010
squigy wrote:
If you build it....they will dance. I say let the guy have a permit and run a sucsessful business. Maybe the City will get a few tax bucks out of the deal?
Watch out! If you start making sense, it'll confuse them.
astounded

Soquel, CA

#8 Apr 2, 2010
Juliana Rebagliati seems to feel this is FAR more urgent and dangerous than anything else. Remove those poles! And it must be done by TUESDAY! You'll never dance in this town!
What about the people displaced from the West Cliff condos? She didn't have nearly as much to say or to do about that.
Perhaps Mr. Rinaldi isn't the only one who needs a pole removed?
Hank from Scotts Valley

Oakland, CA

#10 Apr 2, 2010
We embrace the right to walk and dance bare-chested down Pacific Avenue, why not inside a Water Stret bar?
bring it on

Santa Rosa, CA

#11 Apr 2, 2010
"No one wants a dark, dank bar with strippers in Santa Cruz"? speak for yourself. doesn't sound so bad to me.
Good one astounded

Oakland, CA

#12 Apr 2, 2010
Good one "astounded", that was funny.
Keep the pole

San Bruno, CA

#13 Apr 2, 2010
Best thing to happen to Santa Cruz since the river street sign, come on people who cares? leave the guy alone, if he builds it they will come, with their money...
be real

Watsonville, CA

#14 Apr 2, 2010
squigy wrote:
The City isn't really down with making tax money. Still, if he has violations, he should fix 'em and get on with the pole dancing. BTW, what's wrong with a dark, seedy bar with strippers? The well to do puritans can go to Clouds, but others may have different tastes...
The Accountant

United States

#17 Apr 2, 2010
Justice served. And thanks to those bar owners who OBEY the rules.
Lucas

United States

#18 Apr 2, 2010
What are the credentials of Planning Director Juliana Rebagliati? Does she have a STATE LICENSE or is this just Tom Burns in drag?
wes

AOL

#19 Apr 2, 2010
this guy know's what's legal and what's not and what action's require a permit. he simply gambled and lost. no harm, no foul. it's amazing that santa cruz has a law against anything, anywhere at anytime. he should open a 'pot' clinic, then he will not be bothered by the city.
The Scream

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Apr 2, 2010
wes wrote:
this guy know's what's legal and what's not and what action's require a permit. he simply gambled and lost. no harm, no foul. it's amazing that santa cruz has a law against anything, anywhere at anytime. he should open a 'pot' clinic, then he will not be bothered by the city.
Well thought out and observed... it doesn't belong in THIS cesspool.

As for "the city" being the bad guy, what about "the neighbors?" They get their say, too, like it or not.
Santa Cruz Resident

Fremont, CA

#22 Apr 2, 2010
A bar with pole-dancing in Santa Cruz is not a cool idea, no matter how liberated you may feel. Scantily-clad women pole-dancing on stage is not a far cry from pole-dancing strippers, and attracts the same clientele. This degrades the neighborhood. Pretty simple equation, and not something to encourage in Santa Cruz, especially considering the constant challenge posed by all the trolls downtown. We already have enough trash to clean up in this city.

You want to watch women pole dance in bikinis? Do it in your own house, or go to San Jose.
Santa Cruz Resident

Fremont, CA

#23 Apr 2, 2010
Oh, I forgot that t r o l l s would be censored!

Also, I thought this was seriously disingenuous on Rinaldi's part:

"Although his business license expressly prohibits dancing, Rinaldi said he thought it was meant to ban dance parties with disc jockeys, not performances by women he says were clothed, albeit scantily."

Really??
Who Cares

Daly City, CA

#24 Apr 2, 2010
WHo Cares! A semi trashy bar=most likely trashy gals. Let them do what they want, don't go....I know I'm not, haha.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Patrick's Day Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News O'Bama for the day, president marks St. Patrick... (Mar '12) Aug 3 Boycott the Conve... 202
News Concern over anti-Irish sentiment in Scotland, USA (Feb '16) Apr '16 Just Sayin 3
News A pub for any taste: The Bar Hop's local option... (Apr '14) Apr '16 Elise Gingerich 2
News Irish 'Parlour' to open at former Dubh Linn Squ... Apr '16 glenn maze 5
News Buffalo named 2nd best large city in America fo... Mar '16 Aint dat da troof 7
News Plattsburgh celebrates St. Patty's Day with a n... Mar '16 Savage 1
News Eat, drink, be merry in Erie this St. Patrick's... Mar '16 Debbie 1
More from around the web