The Weird Ways Animals Tell Us Spring Is Here

Full story: findingDulcinea

Whether it is toads blocking roads, salamander love songs, or a groundhog overcoming his shadow, many animals have unique ways of welcoming spring.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Susan re Camille

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 26, 2009
 
My bird - a cockatiel, sure knows everything FIRST: from earthquakes, rain, wind and temperature changes (feathers increase or need plucking and rearranging, since they can "feel" if one is out of place). She, too, changes with the timing of the sun. Bedtime is not by the clock, but the light (and dark) of day and night, same as her appetite. Yes, she hears and chirps when the others do - even though she lives inside the home (even "potty trained" - via her cage, or uses her 'toilet' which is a BIG water hanging bowl-different size & color. IF she has a "night fright", you can bet there either is an earthquake (even if just a tremor - I check the seismograph the following day - living in the SF Bay Area), and stirs when a dramatic climate changes.(For ex: we had an extreme hot spell, followed right away by freezing temps.) Remarkable how these beautiful and wonderful creatures are so alert and attuned to the environment.(Also, living in a polluted area, she prefers to stay inside - getting the 'claenest' wind when it comes from the Bay - about 2 blocks away. She knows where her food and home is, and really is like one of the family (5+ years old). I never knew a little birdie could be so innocent, but so smart. Always had cats and dogs, but even the birds can communitcate via their eyes, chirps, and she even "caught" someone who was a thief - her cage was a mess when someone was in the house (like it had been knocked over), and the next time he came in - she got scared, and flew in circles, then "screamed" as a bird would do - to let us know something or that he was "BAD"! We suspected him, but that let us know for sure. We were right - found out via a friend later. Awesome.
sally

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 7, 2009
 
is tyhat really real ?
DILF

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 7, 2009
 
I know warm weather is right around the corner when my little squirrel friend starts nibbling on my nuts.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 7, 2009
 
if my dog could tell me ANYTHING i'd be a rich woman! lol
:O)

“cougar w/sharp claws”

Since: Mar 08

The kitten, NOT ME!!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 7, 2009
 
DILF wrote:
I know warm weather is right around the corner when my little squirrel friend starts nibbling on my nuts.
LOL
Beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 7, 2009
 
DILF wrote:
I know warm weather is right around the corner when my little squirrel friend starts nibbling on my nuts.
Where do you keep them?

“cougar w/sharp claws”

Since: Mar 08

The kitten, NOT ME!!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 7, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Susan re Camille wrote:
My bird - a cockatiel, sure knows everything FIRST: from earthquakes, rain, wind and temperature changes (feathers increase or need plucking and rearranging, since they can "feel" if one is out of place). She, too, changes with the timing of the sun. Bedtime is not by the clock, but the light (and dark) of day and night, same as her appetite. Yes, she hears and chirps when the others do - even though she lives inside the home (even "potty trained" - via her cage, or uses her 'toilet' which is a BIG water hanging bowl-different size & color. IF she has a "night fright", you can bet there either is an earthquake (even if just a tremor - I check the seismograph the following day - living in the SF Bay Area), and stirs when a dramatic climate changes.(For ex: we had an extreme hot spell, followed right away by freezing temps.) Remarkable how these beautiful and wonderful creatures are so alert and attuned to the environment.(Also, living in a polluted area, she prefers to stay inside - getting the 'claenest' wind when it comes from the Bay - about 2 blocks away. She knows where her food and home is, and really is like one of the family (5+ years old). I never knew a little birdie could be so innocent, but so smart. Always had cats and dogs, but even the birds can communitcate via their eyes, chirps, and she even "caught" someone who was a thief - her cage was a mess when someone was in the house (like it had been knocked over), and the next time he came in - she got scared, and flew in circles, then "screamed" as a bird would do - to let us know something or that he was "BAD"! We suspected him, but that let us know for sure. We were right - found out via a friend later. Awesome.
This is so cool!!!!! I would like having a bird but they live so very long. That is super if you have someone that will care for it after the owner passes. I often wonder what happened to my friends cockatoo. The bird knew it was a better singer than any on tv or radio. It would sit and laugh at the singers as if they were no good. But when Beverly Sills sang the bird shut-up and listened. Then it tried to imitate Sills voice.

I read that b4 the tsunami hit a few years ago, all the animals left and headed into the forest. They knew it was coming. Could they hear it? Is it the air pressure? Watching animals is always so very interesting. They communicate very well if we would only "listen."
DILF

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 8, 2009
 
Beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>Where do you keep them?
It depends. Sometimes they are tucked away and sometimes they are out in the open.
Beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 14, 2009
 
DILF wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends. Sometimes they are tucked away and sometimes they are out in the open.
Parks and privates?
DILF

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 14, 2009
 
Beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>Parks and privates?
No no no.....it's totally a hot/cold issue.
Morgana

Chatham, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 23, 2011
 
Hooray for PA for protecting those all too important Toads, eaters of nasty bugs!

Since: Oct 07

Mount Pleasant, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>Where do you keep them?
Smart things will be to not put all your eggs in the same basket...but !
End The Hate

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 23, 2011
 
The stray male cats in our neighborhood start fighting at night when they "smell" a female cat in heat. OMG, all the squealing that goes on...for hours. Like clock work it starts on the first day of spring.

Since: Oct 07

Mount Pleasant, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

Spring is the sign of making the babies ! My cats were all over me for a couple of weeks...a waaaay more than usual and I even laughed thinking it must be the spring going to their heads !
Of course they know...like when squirrels move their babies when a hurricane is on the way...notice how everything get calm...as they said...the calm before the storm !
Hey ETH...!! Good day to you !

“Truffle Hunting”

Since: Nov 10

in the South of France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Sacre-bleu we always know when it is springtime in the south of France because the truffles always come out of hibernation.
End The Hate

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 23, 2011
 
BRIGITTE wrote:
Spring is the sign of making the babies ! My cats were all over me for a couple of weeks...a waaaay more than usual and I even laughed thinking it must be the spring going to their heads !
Of course they know...like when squirrels move their babies when a hurricane is on the way...notice how everything get calm...as they said...the calm before the storm !
Hey ETH...!! Good day to you !
Hi Brigitte! I only have one cat and she stays in the house. LOL. She's a virgin and is fixed so Springtime doesn't bother her. Same goes 4 our dog. Good to hear from you!

4900

Since: Oct 07

Mount Pleasant, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

crepe suzette wrote:
Sacre-bleu we always know when it is springtime in the south of France because the truffles always come out of hibernation.
You know what is darn annoying ? Having someone like you waiting for someone like me to came out. What are you doing ??? OOps ! here she is...lets get the Crepe Suzette pic on" Because you know...I am such a funny person and that pic and the choice of everything is so freaking hilarious. Never wonder if she does not like it or get hurt by it...I don't care ...I am just a little smart arse...she'll never found out it is me doing that to her...gee...I was even worried...I .mean, if she does not come back, what am I going to do with that stupid poster ?
Then, I guess it is time for me, again, to take the GFY out...and maybe, if that does not stop, maybe...I stick with it and give back what I received.
The best jokes are the shorter ones. So GFY idiot.

“Truffle Hunting”

Since: Nov 10

in the South of France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

So, you are surrendering, yes? That proves you are a good, true and noble frenchwoman. I salute you.

Since: Oct 07

Mount Pleasant, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 23, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

crepe suzette wrote:
So, you are surrendering, yes? That proves you are a good, true and noble frenchwoman. I salute you.
Yeah...yeah...whatever...I NEVER heard that one before ! And since you are such a American crying baby...it must give you some kind of hard on...cause everybody know that Americans have self esteem issues...like to wear dresses, wish they could be someone else and when they are really f!k up....even take the identity of the person they are stalking so they can feel like them....and then get drunk and obnoxious and pass out without forgetting wetting the bed.

There...your portrait...have a nice day now...and good luck...won't be a while before you can use that pic again....belieeeeve me !

“Surrendering like crazy”

Since: Nov 10

From the south of France.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 24, 2011
 
crepe suzette wrote:
So, you are surrendering, yes? That proves you are a good, true and noble frenchwoman. I salute you.
Of course she eez surrendering,after all she is French, no? Just like zee wild brie surrenders to zee pig in zee south of France, she can not help it Eet is in our blood.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Spring Equinox Discussions

Search the Spring Equinox Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Spring puts the petal to the metal (Mar '13) Mar '13 Sunflower 1
Photos: 4th International Nowruz Festival in As... (Mar '13) Mar '13 MAKEDONIA ALWAYS GREECE 1
North Adams: Sundial to be topic of illustrated... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Good Idea 2
The Origin of 'Easter,' Bunnies and Eggs (Apr '12) Apr '12 yolanda castaneda 1
Resurrection Sunday begins Easter Season (Apr '12) Apr '12 paul shykora arts 2
Meeting will explain paganism, common misconcep... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Jumper 1
Mesa church brings Paganism out of the dark (Mar '12) Mar '12 CShine 3
•••
•••
•••
•••