The Weird Ways Animals Tell Us Spring Is Here

Whether it is toads blocking roads, salamander love songs, or a groundhog overcoming his shadow, many animals have unique ways of welcoming spring. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Susan re Camille

Fremont, CA

#1 Mar 26, 2009
My bird - a cockatiel, sure knows everything FIRST: from earthquakes, rain, wind and temperature changes (feathers increase or need plucking and rearranging, since they can "feel" if one is out of place). She, too, changes with the timing of the sun. Bedtime is not by the clock, but the light (and dark) of day and night, same as her appetite. Yes, she hears and chirps when the others do - even though she lives inside the home (even "potty trained" - via her cage, or uses her 'toilet' which is a BIG water hanging bowl-different size & color. IF she has a "night fright", you can bet there either is an earthquake (even if just a tremor - I check the seismograph the following day - living in the SF Bay Area), and stirs when a dramatic climate changes.(For ex: we had an extreme hot spell, followed right away by freezing temps.) Remarkable how these beautiful and wonderful creatures are so alert and attuned to the environment.(Also, living in a polluted area, she prefers to stay inside - getting the 'claenest' wind when it comes from the Bay - about 2 blocks away. She knows where her food and home is, and really is like one of the family (5+ years old). I never knew a little birdie could be so innocent, but so smart. Always had cats and dogs, but even the birds can communitcate via their eyes, chirps, and she even "caught" someone who was a thief - her cage was a mess when someone was in the house (like it had been knocked over), and the next time he came in - she got scared, and flew in circles, then "screamed" as a bird would do - to let us know something or that he was "BAD"! We suspected him, but that let us know for sure. We were right - found out via a friend later. Awesome.
sally

Miami, FL

#2 Apr 7, 2009
is tyhat really real ?
DILF

Medford, NY

#3 Apr 7, 2009
I know warm weather is right around the corner when my little squirrel friend starts nibbling on my nuts.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#4 Apr 7, 2009
if my dog could tell me ANYTHING i'd be a rich woman! lol
:O)

“cougar w/sharp claws”

Since: Mar 08

The kitten, NOT ME!!!!

#5 Apr 7, 2009
DILF wrote:
I know warm weather is right around the corner when my little squirrel friend starts nibbling on my nuts.
LOL
Beatlesinthebog

Christchurch, New Zealand

#6 Apr 7, 2009
DILF wrote:
Where do you keep them?

“cougar w/sharp claws”

Since: Mar 08

The kitten, NOT ME!!!!

#7 Apr 7, 2009
Susan re Camille wrote:
My bird - a cockatiel, sure knows everything FIRST: from earthquakes, rain, wind and temperature changes (feathers increase or need plucking and rearranging, since they can "feel" if one is out of place). She, too, changes with the timing of the sun. Bedtime is not by the clock, but the light (and dark) of day and night, same as her appetite. Yes, she hears and chirps when the others do - even though she lives inside the home (even "potty trained" - via her cage, or uses her 'toilet' which is a BIG water hanging bowl-different size & color. IF she has a "night fright", you can bet there either is an earthquake (even if just a tremor - I check the seismograph the following day - living in the SF Bay Area), and stirs when a dramatic climate changes.(For ex: we had an extreme hot spell, followed right away by freezing temps.) Remarkable how these beautiful and wonderful creatures are so alert and attuned to the environment.(Also, living in a polluted area, she prefers to stay inside - getting the 'claenest' wind when it comes from the Bay - about 2 blocks away. She knows where her food and home is, and really is like one of the family (5+ years old). I never knew a little birdie could be so innocent, but so smart. Always had cats and dogs, but even the birds can communitcate via their eyes, chirps, and she even "caught" someone who was a thief - her cage was a mess when someone was in the house (like it had been knocked over), and the next time he came in - she got scared, and flew in circles, then "screamed" as a bird would do - to let us know something or that he was "BAD"! We suspected him, but that let us know for sure. We were right - found out via a friend later. Awesome.
This is so cool!!!!! I would like having a bird but they live so very long. That is super if you have someone that will care for it after the owner passes. I often wonder what happened to my friends cockatoo. The bird knew it was a better singer than any on tv or radio. It would sit and laugh at the singers as if they were no good. But when Beverly Sills sang the bird shut-up and listened. Then it tried to imitate Sills voice.

I read that b4 the tsunami hit a few years ago, all the animals left and headed into the forest. They knew it was coming. Could they hear it? Is it the air pressure? Watching animals is always so very interesting. They communicate very well if we would only "listen."
DILF

Medford, NY

#8 Apr 8, 2009
Beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>Where do you keep them?
It depends. Sometimes they are tucked away and sometimes they are out in the open.
Beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

#9 Apr 14, 2009
DILF wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends. Sometimes they are tucked away and sometimes they are out in the open.
Parks and privates?
DILF

Medford, NY

#10 Apr 14, 2009
Beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>Parks and privates?
No no no.....it's totally a hot/cold issue.
Morgana

Hillsdale, NY

#11 Mar 23, 2011
Hooray for PA for protecting those all too important Toads, eaters of nasty bugs!

Since: Oct 07

Mount Pleasant, SC

#12 Mar 23, 2011
Beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>Where do you keep them?
Smart things will be to not put all your eggs in the same basket...but !
End The Hate

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Mar 23, 2011
The stray male cats in our neighborhood start fighting at night when they "smell" a female cat in heat. OMG, all the squealing that goes on...for hours. Like clock work it starts on the first day of spring.

Mount Pleasant, SC

#14 Mar 23, 2011
Spring is the sign of making the babies ! My cats were all over me for a couple of weeks...a waaaay more than usual and I even laughed thinking it must be the spring going to their heads !
Of course they know...like when squirrels move their babies when a hurricane is on the way...notice how everything get calm...as they said...the calm before the storm !
Hey ETH...!! Good day to you !

“Truffle Hunting”

Since: Nov 10

in the South of France

#15 Mar 23, 2011
Sacre-bleu we always know when it is springtime in the south of France because the truffles always come out of hibernation.
End The Hate

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Mar 23, 2011
BRIGITTE wrote:
Spring is the sign of making the babies ! My cats were all over me for a couple of weeks...a waaaay more than usual and I even laughed thinking it must be the spring going to their heads !
Of course they know...like when squirrels move their babies when a hurricane is on the way...notice how everything get calm...as they said...the calm before the storm !
Hey ETH...!! Good day to you !
Hi Brigitte! I only have one cat and she stays in the house. LOL. She's a virgin and is fixed so Springtime doesn't bother her. Same goes 4 our dog. Good to hear from you!

Mount Pleasant, SC

#17 Mar 23, 2011
crepe suzette wrote:
Sacre-bleu we always know when it is springtime in the south of France because the truffles always come out of hibernation.
You know what is darn annoying ? Having someone like you waiting for someone like me to came out. What are you doing ??? OOps ! here she is...lets get the Crepe Suzette pic on" Because you know...I am such a funny person and that pic and the choice of everything is so freaking hilarious. Never wonder if she does not like it or get hurt by it...I don't care ...I am just a little smart arse...she'll never found out it is me doing that to her...gee...I was even worried...I .mean, if she does not come back, what am I going to do with that stupid poster ?
Then, I guess it is time for me, again, to take the GFY out...and maybe, if that does not stop, maybe...I stick with it and give back what I received.
The best jokes are the shorter ones. So GFY idiot.

“Truffle Hunting”

in the South of France

#18 Mar 23, 2011
So, you are surrendering, yes? That proves you are a good, true and noble frenchwoman. I salute you.

Mount Pleasant, SC

#19 Mar 23, 2011
crepe suzette wrote:
So, you are surrendering, yes? That proves you are a good, true and noble frenchwoman. I salute you.
Yeah...yeah...whatever...I NEVER heard that one before ! And since you are such a American crying baby...it must give you some kind of hard on...cause everybody know that Americans have self esteem issues...like to wear dresses, wish they could be someone else and when they are really f!k up....even take the identity of the person they are stalking so they can feel like them....and then get drunk and obnoxious and pass out without forgetting wetting the bed.

There...your portrait...have a nice day now...and good luck...won't be a while before you can use that pic again....belieeeeve me !

“Surrendering like crazy”

From the south of France.

#20 Mar 24, 2011
crepe suzette wrote:
Of course she eez surrendering,after all she is French, no? Just like zee wild brie surrenders to zee pig in zee south of France, she can not help it Eet is in our blood.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Equinox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spring puts the petal to the metal (Mar '13) Mar '13 Sunflower 1
Photos: 4th International Nowruz Festival in As... (Mar '13) Mar '13 MAKEDONIA ALWAYS ... 1
North Adams: Sundial to be topic of illustrated... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Good Idea 2
The Origin of 'Easter,' Bunnies and Eggs (Apr '12) Apr '12 yolanda castaneda 1
Resurrection Sunday begins Easter Season (Apr '12) Apr '12 paul shykora arts 2
Meeting will explain paganism, common misconcep... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Jumper 1
Mesa church brings Paganism out of the dark (Mar '12) Mar '12 CShine 3
•••

Spring Equinox People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••