LI group gets parking tickets during ...

LI group gets parking tickets during Rosh Hashana rite

There are 337 comments on the The Associated Press story from Sep 15, 2007, titled LI group gets parking tickets during Rosh Hashana rite . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

Synagogue members conducting a religious ritual that symbolizes casting away sins came away with a secular headache: Parking tickets.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Bob

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Sep 15, 2007
Typical above the law behavior
Killing Time

Central Islip, NY

#2 Sep 15, 2007
Seriously, no parking means NO PARKING. I don't care who's holiday it is.
iron clad

Oak Ridge, NJ

#3 Sep 15, 2007
Apparently, this was not just a parking violation, but a safety violation, for which the parties involved should have obeyed.
u got to be kidding me

Queens Village, NY

#5 Sep 15, 2007
So why do they think its okay to park and block a fire entrance...? There lack of respect for the firehouse is a clear indication of how selfish they are....god help them if one of their cars blocked a truck or an ambulance getting to a scene and causing a delay in rescuing someone or someone's home. They need to respect the law
Gramps

AOL

#6 Sep 15, 2007
Geez, thats like the people visiting a Hindu Temple near me. They can't find a parking space so they block private driveways. Then when you confront them they act dumb. I did not know this was a driveway, I could not find parking space.
KATE

Newark, NJ

#7 Sep 15, 2007
they are not special, no parking means no parking and thats that!!!on christmas eve when i go to mass if i park in a no parking zone i expect to get a ticket its called breaking the law, and why should thier religion be special, if they think it is i'm telling them its not !!!!!knock it off already. if thats not good enough call the town!!!!
patchogue

Newark, NJ

#8 Sep 15, 2007
GIVE THEM ALL ANOTHER TICKET !!! NO PARKING MEANS NO PARKING IN ENGLISH.
Richie

Hewitt, NJ

#9 Sep 15, 2007
I was all set to DEFEND these folks, but then read that they totally disobeyed a fire officer who explained not that they couldnt park somewhere else, but just that they cant block an emergency exit.

Selishness reigns, as always. And they wonder why people hate them.
LOL

Hamilton, Canada

#10 Sep 15, 2007
And they wonder why ?
Higher authority watching

Paterson, NJ

#11 Sep 15, 2007
If they are observant enough to go to Tashlich, then they deserve the ticket just for driving on Rosh Haahanah.
Anonymous

Yonkers, NY

#12 Sep 15, 2007
They should go circumcise themselves. More arrogance by these people.
jeff

Edison, NJ

#13 Sep 15, 2007
If it took a fire truck one more minute to respond to a fire someone could have died, I guess they think that's ok?

I also know a fireman that once got a ticket for parking in front of a hydrant. There was a fire on his block late at night and he was blocking the closest fire hydrant, we ahd to find another one. It turns out the car belonged to a city fireman and the cops said he of all people should have known better, ticket stuck!
Crusher

Edison, NJ

#14 Sep 15, 2007
The Suffolk County Police Department should be brought up to date on religious holiday rituals.

They showed no flexibility or sensitivity in giving out the tickets

Better yet, the police personnel should be on the Suffolk County highways and main roads looking for speeders and drug users.
Crusher

Edison, NJ

#16 Sep 15, 2007
Hey Richie & Loser Anonymous,(etc)

When you stop being anti-semite losers, then post a comment.

No wonder people like you are called Ignorannt LI Trash!
Confused

Milford, CT

#17 Sep 15, 2007
Alan Schwartz wrote:
The Suffolk County Police Department should be brought up to date on religious holiday rituals.
Better yet, the police personnel should be on the Suffolk County highways and main roads looking for speeders and drug users.
Wait - so you are saying that is ok to endanger lives by blocking a firehouse exit because it was a religious ritual?? I can understand saying that they should suspend alternate side parking rules or parking on the shoulder. But to put people in danger for a religious ritual - get a grip. I thought you weren't supposed to drive on this holiday anyway.
vor

Jackson Heights, NY

#18 Sep 15, 2007
1. What kind of shul encourages its congregants to drive on yontif?

2. How did I know the rest of you would use this as an anti-Semitic forum? Hmm... let's see... poor whites from Suffolk afraid of everyone taking over their jobs and livelihoods... blame the Jews, right? I'm sure you'll search around for reasons to bash Hispanics and Blacks later. The article on Roosevelt schools should get you started. Better yet, go to college and get a job that pays you what you always think you deserve.
I Have His Wallet

White Plains, NY

#20 Sep 15, 2007
Alan Schwartz wrote:
Sorry Alan - but if you read the story you will note that they were parked in front of a firehouse. It is they who lacked sensitivty to the safety of their community.
quing

AOL

#21 Sep 15, 2007
Let's rob a bank on Christmas.
Andrew

Brooklyn, NY

#22 Sep 15, 2007
Why do these people who got ticketed think they are above the law due to a religious holiday? They are lucky the cars only got ticketed $25 instead of being towed.
awake

AOL

#23 Sep 15, 2007
Bravo. Laws are for every day. Where do you stop?
Should we let drunks drive on New Years because its a Holiday?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rosh Hashana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Does God have only one voice and one message? (Oct '16) Nov '16 True Christian wi... 83
News Uman Hasidic Pilgrims May Carry Ebola Virus, Uk... (Sep '14) Oct '14 Does Not Compute 3
News Who needs Jews? (Sep '13) Sep '13 NukUShima 17
News Israelis celebrate Jewish New Year, amid turmoil (Sep '13) Sep '13 paul SHYKORA arts 3
News Ukraine Robbers Steal $50K From Hasidic Pilgrimage (Jul '13) Aug '13 American Observer 17
News On Jewish new year, Israelis fear Iran strike (Sep '12) Sep '12 SHYKORA ARTs paul 1
News On eve of Jewish new year, Israelis dread possi... (Sep '12) Sep '12 harper 1
More from around the web