Courts, schools recognize Jewish High...

Courts, schools recognize Jewish High Holidays -- OrlandoSentin...

There are 34 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Courts, schools recognize Jewish High Holidays -- OrlandoSentin.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Chief Judge Belvin Perry was attending a Rosh Hashana service at Congregation Beth Am in Longwood in 2000, marking the New Year as the guest of a Jewish colleague, when a thought occurred to him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tommy T

Winter Haven, FL

#22 Sep 13, 2007
MRS_Joy wrote:
<quoted text>
What you really mean is not in the christians best interests. I am so sick and tired of this christian monoply on faith. All that this means is that you have to explain to your children that there are other faiths out there other than the might christian church.
Happy New Year
How is what I really mean not in the Christians best interest? Christians do not have a monopoly on faith. Christians have a monopoly on their faith. And yes there are other faiths out there. Some mean to destroy not only Christians but the Jews as well. What sperates us is that Christinas believe that Christ was the living son of God who was sent to fulfill the law. The law of the eternal sacrifice and that through his witness we could see the love that God has for his creation and to offer eternal life for those who believe. He rose from the dead and it was witnessed by many so the word could be spread. That is what is known as the Good News. He is risen and will come again. A loving, living savior. From other faiths you have no living savior, no miracle works, no message for all to join and love one another as a brother. No lasting messages of how to live daily with your friends, family and words of wisdom on how to even manage your business and finance. No other faith has maintained through it's trials brought on by mans own errors as has the Christian faith. No other faith has seen innocent people willing to lay down there life just for believing. Not killing themselves and others, but being killed as innocent people. And yes, there is a common bond with the Jews. Christ was a Jew. Abraham, David, Solomon, and Paul. Moses was given the law. He passed it on. Christ came into the world as a Jew. But for all. If the Bible was not inspired by God, then man would have written it alone. Man would have excluded those he did not like, and only placed in those he did like. He would have prescribed ways to deal with those he did not like. He would not have opened the invotation to all. Kind of sounds like the Quoran? It is a living document that has helped to set forth a great nation. A place for all. But to lose it or part of it would be to lose who this nation is. It is what we are. Embrace it.....
The Revelator

Orlando, FL

#23 Sep 13, 2007
Tommy T wrote:
But to lose it or part of it would be to lose who this nation is. It is what we are. Embrace it.....
It is what YOU are.

We reject it.

What this nation "is" and what you wish it to be are two entirely seperate things.

Oh well, guess you'll just have to get over it.
Tommy T

Orlando, FL

#24 Sep 13, 2007
The Revelator wrote:
<quoted text>
It is what YOU are.
We reject it.
What this nation "is" and what you wish it to be are two entirely seperate things.
Oh well, guess you'll just have to get over it.
Glad you are so powerful as to take away my personal freedoms...
Just another two cents

Orlando, FL

#25 Sep 13, 2007
Hawkeye is missing my point entirely, Lake Eola person too.

Jobs give off for Christmas, regardless of faith. Jewish, Muslim, atheists, et cetera are forced off that day and given holiday pay for it. We in turn have to either lose money, use vacation pay, paid time off Governments close down for Christmas, a Christian holiday. THAT IS NOT RIGHT. Separation of church and state. Jewish people are forced off that day, so once again another invalid point is made. You try being forced to work a Christmas, and see how well you react to that...oh that's right, you lose no pay, you'll get holiday pay. Get a clue and a little understanding. Oh, and get off your Christian martyr complex...you got a President right now doing enough BS with the country on that platform.

Frankly, I work in a theme park, so there's certainly no closed for the day there...we're open 365 a year. If I want a Jewish holiday off, I have to request it and use some sort of pay I have to compensate or lose the money. Instead, I opt to work it. Need my paid time off for other things.
junkyardman

Carrollton, TX

#26 Sep 13, 2007
now that is scary, a nurse that runs and cannot count! i hope she doesn't give me my shot. there is no such thing as a running nurse-just a running patient-please don't identify yourself as a nurse if you write hatred-it is an embarrassment to the fine nursing profession.
The Revelator wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem very certain of that. Did you personally interrogate each child as to their belief system, or are you just expecting "them" to still be wearing yellow stars on their clothes? You prove the point nicely that everything isn't always all about YOU and yours - who is in your kids' classes is irrelevant.
Jay

Orlando, FL

#27 Sep 13, 2007
Just another two cents wrote:
Jobs give off for Christmas, regardless of faith. Jewish, Muslim, atheists, et cetera are forced off that day and given holiday pay for it. We in turn have to either lose money, use vacation pay, paid time off Governments close down for Christmas, a Christian holiday. THAT IS NOT RIGHT. Separation of church and state. Jewish people are forced off that day, so once again another invalid point is made. You try being forced to work a Christmas, and see how well you react to that...oh that's right, you lose no pay, you'll get holiday pay. Get a clue and a little understanding. Oh, and get off your Christian martyr complex...you got a President right now doing enough BS with the country on that platform.
Frankly, I work in a theme park, so there's certainly no closed for the day there...we're open 365 a year. If I want a Jewish holiday off, I have to request it and use some sort of pay I have to compensate or lose the money. Instead, I opt to work it. Need my paid time off for other things.
Christmas is both observed by Christians and the secular world for Santa Clause.... It has both religious and non religious roots.... And is celebrated world wide. The two American holidays are Thanksgiving and July 4th, yet the non Americans in this country benefit from those also....
The Revelator

Orlando, FL

#28 Sep 13, 2007
Tommy T wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you are so powerful as to take away my personal freedoms...
Work on your reading comprehension skills. No one is taking anything from anyone.

Nice and slow: it is what YOU are. Not US. So go forth and multiply. Cuz we just don't care about your ghost stories and superstitions.
Jay

Orlando, FL

#29 Sep 13, 2007
Just another two cents wrote:
So did Clinton. He always professed to be Christian. But you feel safe with him because you knew he was lying about it right?
Astronuts

Orlando, FL

#30 Sep 14, 2007
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
So did Clinton. He always professed to be Christian. But you feel safe with him because you knew he was lying about it right?
Wow. Everything is about Clinton, huh? I think you have a crush.
Tommy T

Winter Haven, FL

#31 Sep 14, 2007
The Revelator wrote:
<quoted text>
Work on your reading comprehension skills. No one is taking anything from anyone.
Nice and slow: it is what YOU are. Not US. So go forth and multiply. Cuz we just don't care about your ghost stories and superstitions.
My reading comprehension is fine... You said that I would have to get over it.... Get over what. My own beliefs, just because you said so. And who is the US, you got midgets in your pocket. It is very obvious you have some real issues, fine. But the truth shall be revealed to all. Slow, I doubt that sport. Your visible anger about something you feel is a superstition shows something. If it was nothing to worry about or something that did not exist, you should just let me be entitled to believe as I want with your blessing for my own freedom. But your responding and trying to call lame names shows I have hit a chord. Oh, my comprehension is fine. I have not tried to take anything from you.....
Jay

Winter Haven, FL

#32 Sep 14, 2007
Astronuts wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Everything is about Clinton, huh? I think you have a crush.
No. It was just to the dumb statement trying to draw some conclusion on Bush. You did get that right or did you just see the word Clinton and start rubbing one out. Maybe if you stopped ordering stuff on line just to see the Fed Ex man everyday and read a little, it might help. Astronut? Fits.
WPR

United States

#33 Sep 14, 2007
Hawkeye wrote:
My complaint is that the Jewish popualtion should be working when there is a "Christian" Holiday. Instead the Jewish population gets those days off as well.
OK, well first off, I am sure I'm not alone among the Jewish population in being one of the few people actually present in the office during the last two weeks of the year, when most of my non-Jewish colleagues take their vacation. I get stuck with a lot of work that my colleagues leave behind at the end of December. I volunteer to work at the end of the year out of consideration to my non-Jewish colleagues.

Second off, we're only talking about two calendar days here (some years only one, depending on if Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur fall on a weekend). Let's keep that in mind. The couple of people who raised the prospect of Muslim students taking the whole month of Ramadan off as being equivalent - well, frankly, that's a red herring.

Thirdly, there is no "anti-Christian bias." Drive around at December and look how many government offices, banks, businesses, shopping malls, etc. have Christmas trees on display. Consider how many of you have been proselytized at work by a Jewish colleague (probably NONE, since Jews don't proselytize, although a significant number of Christians do this to their Jewish coworkers). Gimme a break.

All that said, as a Jewish person, I accept that I live in a secular, but majority Christian, nation and I have no problem with other folks observing their religion, even in ways that tangentially affects me, as long as it is not oppressive or proselytizng in nature.

Shalom, namaste, and God bless.
jabow

Carrollton, TX

#34 Sep 14, 2007
yes, you are correct but they are still a bunch of insensitive people for giving test on the Jewish holiday and being proud of it-they should at least try to accomodate.
Mullah of Geography wrote:
Trinity Prep is NOT in Winter Park. It is way out past Goldenrod, in unincorporated Orange County. Its actually closer to Slavia and Oviedo than it is to Winter Park!
PS Happy New Year
Susan

Bushnell, FL

#35 Sep 15, 2007
I don't know about the courts in Tampa but the schools used to recognize certain religious holidays. I was an office assistant. I remember on certain days we didn't count the students absent. On Ash Wenesday and Good Friday all the Catholic kids were gone. On Rosh Hashana and Yom Kipur the Jewish kids were out. We had a lot of Greeks and other Orthodox Church practioners who have Easter at a different date. All they had to do when they called in is state religious observation and we were just suposed to make a mark on their record cards,RO not absent.
Cosing government buildings down in Palm Beach or Tampa I could see because of the large Jewish population but Central Florida doesn't strike me as a Jewish stronghold. I've only seen one or two Temples. Shutting down schools on Good Friday, that makes more sense. The schools are about half empty. So many businesses are shut down on Christmas day I don't have a problem with chosing some other religion's main holiday to shut businesses down. Either that or get rid of Chistmas as the holiday and pick some other day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rosh Hashana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ruth Bader Ginsburg surprise speaker at Rosh Ha... (Sep '17) Sep '17 Just Saying 7
News Does God have only one voice and one message? (Oct '16) Nov '16 True Christian wi... 83
News Uman Hasidic Pilgrims May Carry Ebola Virus, Uk... (Sep '14) Oct '14 Does Not Compute 3
News Who needs Jews? (Sep '13) Sep '13 NukUShima 17
News Israelis celebrate Jewish New Year, amid turmoil (Sep '13) Sep '13 paul SHYKORA arts 3
News Ukraine Robbers Steal $50K From Hasidic Pilgrimage (Jul '13) Aug '13 American Observer 17
News On Jewish new year, Israelis fear Iran strike (Sep '12) Sep '12 SHYKORA ARTs paul 1