Courts, schools recognize Jewish High...

Courts, schools recognize Jewish High Holidays -- OrlandoSentin...

There are 34 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Courts, schools recognize Jewish High Holidays -- OrlandoSentin.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Chief Judge Belvin Perry was attending a Rosh Hashana service at Congregation Beth Am in Longwood in 2000, marking the New Year as the guest of a Jewish colleague, when a thought occurred to him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
George

Palm Bay, FL

#1 Sep 12, 2007
So, let me get this straight now? You cannot pray in school, you canot teach religion, morality, or even post the ten comandments anywhere but we can dismiss the entire student body from classes for an entire day to respect their specific religion ? How long before the Muslims demand dismissal for their "holy days" or the Buddists, Hindus, Sheiks ?
hmmmm

United States

#2 Sep 12, 2007
so why is it that the Seminole County school system, and most others I would suspect, refuse to call the vacation for Christmas "Christmas Break", but rather "winter break", but apparently it is okay to take a day off in honor of Rsoh Hashana? Another example of bias against Christianity.
Osceola Pulse

Orlando, FL

#3 Sep 12, 2007
You folks have raised a valid point. And here all I thought was Perry was simply looking for a reason to take another day off from work, as though the courts don't have enough holiday time already!
Bob

Chicago, IL

#4 Sep 12, 2007
First - I wouldn't want any public school teaching religion. They have enough trouble getting to learn basic math. Prayer and religion are hard for any secular group to teach. What religion are you going to teach, who's prayers are you going to say. What if the decided upon religion and prayer doesn't conform to you specific set of beliefs, are you going to be OK with that. Most people are ok with prayer in school, as long as it's their prayer. If not, send your kids to a school that will teach them your brand of religion. As far as Rosh Hashanna - George has a point, If one religous group gets religous holidays that happen during the week off, they all should. That being said, are kids already getting Good Friday off?(honestly, I don't know, I don't have kids. I just know I have to be in the office that day and will have to be there on Thursday as well)
Mullah of Geography

Orlando, FL

#5 Sep 12, 2007
Trinity Prep is NOT in Winter Park. It is way out past Goldenrod, in unincorporated Orange County. Its actually closer to Slavia and Oviedo than it is to Winter Park!

PS Happy New Year
JLC

United States

#6 Sep 12, 2007
I say just take ALL days off that way you cover everyone and no one can complain.
A 5th Grader

United States

#7 Sep 12, 2007
hmmmm wrote:
so why is it that the Seminole County school system, and most others I would suspect, refuse to call the vacation for Christmas "Christmas Break", but rather "winter break", but apparently it is okay to take a day off in honor of Rsoh Hashana? Another example of bias against Christianity.
Ooh. Good point!
TheRunningNurse

Deland, FL

#8 Sep 12, 2007
Absurd. Not one Jewish child in my son's class and we have to take a day off in the middle of the week ?!?! We can't say "CHRISTMAS", but Rosh Hashana is ok ??!!
Just another two cents

Orlando, FL

#10 Sep 12, 2007
First off, if your school/work gives you the day off on Christmas and/or Good Friday, you can take your seat now, your argument on religious bias has failed.

Last I checked a LOT of work is closed on Christmas, not to mention a lot of employers give holiday pay on Christmas, versus some "neutral day" between Christmas and Hannukah.so if that isn't pandering to a religous holiday I don't know what is.

I was raised Jewish in a highly Jewish area. Schools SHOULD be in session that day, as should work, those of us who were Jewish took the day off to observe while school stayed in session. It's respecting a religion without giving it a spotlight. I will agree there is NO reason to shut down an entire courthouse for a religion. Just work those who aren't Jewish...yeah, it may be a SLOWER day, but it would still constitute a work day, not a paid holiday. After all, if you're not Jewish and you were given that day off NOT by your choice, then paid that day anyway, it's a paid holiday.

Don't hate Jewish people because they want a day off to observe. If you want them to lose their holiday so bad, to be FAIR, then start working Christmas and January 1st to be fair. If not, then shut up.
Hawkeye

Cocoa, FL

#11 Sep 12, 2007
Just another two cents is missing the point. I see nothing wrong with someone who is Jewish taking a Jewish Holiday off while everone works. My complaint is that the Jewish popualtion should be working when there is a "Christian" Holiday. Instead the Jewish population gets those days off as well.
Lake Eola Heights

Orlando, FL

#12 Sep 12, 2007
Hawkeye wrote:
Just another two cents is missing the point. I see nothing wrong with someone who is Jewish taking a Jewish Holiday off while everone works. My complaint is that the Jewish popualtion should be working when there is a "Christian" Holiday. Instead the Jewish population gets those days off as well.
and the Muslims and the Hindus and the Scientologists and the Agnostics and the Atheists and the Buddhists and and and ...
MRS_Joy

San Antonio, TX

#13 Sep 12, 2007
I guess that you are all missing the point. The "Christian" holidays are ALL paid days off for corporate America, where as if I want to take off Rosh Hashanna or Yom Kippur I have to take a vacation day or a day without pay. Get off of you soap box and realize that there are other faiths out there that mean just as much to them as your damn holiday's.
Tommy T

Orlando, FL

#14 Sep 12, 2007
MRS_Joy wrote:
I guess that you are all missing the point. The "Christian" holidays are ALL paid days off for corporate America, where as if I want to take off Rosh Hashanna or Yom Kippur I have to take a vacation day or a day without pay. Get off of you soap box and realize that there are other faiths out there that mean just as much to them as your damn holiday's.
No you missed the point. It is not about corporate America, but about government institutions in particular schools, which as it has always been explained to me were not supposed to observe religious holidays. That is why they have been calling it Winter Break. Good Friday is not observed nor is Easter, the highest of Christian holidays. Now personally I do not have much of a problem with this. As a Christian I love to share my common beliefs with my Jewish family. These faiths form the core values of our nation and should be quasi recognized as that, the basis of our system. To recognize anything else I feel is not in our best interest.
MRS_Joy

San Antonio, TX

#15 Sep 13, 2007
Tommy T wrote:
<quoted text>
No you missed the point. It is not about corporate America, but about government institutions in particular schools, which as it has always been explained to me were not supposed to observe religious holidays. That is why they have been calling it Winter Break. Good Friday is not observed nor is Easter, the highest of Christian holidays. Now personally I do not have much of a problem with this. As a Christian I love to share my common beliefs with my Jewish family. These faiths form the core values of our nation and should be quasi recognized as that, the basis of our system. To recognize anything else I feel is not in our best interest.
What you really mean is not in the christians best interests. I am so sick and tired of this christian monoply on faith. All that this means is that you have to explain to your children that there are other faiths out there other than the might christian church.

Happy New Year
jabow

Carrollton, TX

#16 Sep 13, 2007
the more we do to try to respect all religions, the better off our society will be. I know I would be glad to work a day that fell on a co-workers religion so he or she could observe that day. If I had the day off that is fine to. the problem for those not observing the holiday that have kids in school might be childcare. then again, you could be off from work or not working. i think that Judge Perry is trying to show respect not just to Jews (which we are very thankful for) but to the entire region. Thank you Judge for setting such a positive and useful example. Hopefully others will follow. Judge Perry shows democracy in action rather than only words.
peter

Carrollton, TX

#17 Sep 13, 2007
no, this is a good day for you to take your kids somewhere positive, spend quality time with them, go to a musuem, go to a park, and make it a postive thing instad of a negative. hopefully you have some time from nursing work to do this. this is a great time to teach our kids tolerance toward others.
TheRunningNurse wrote:
Absurd. Not one Jewish child in my son's class and we have to take a day off in the middle of the week ?!?! We can't say "CHRISTMAS", but Rosh Hashana is ok ??!!
sick and tired

Lake Mary, FL

#18 Sep 13, 2007
MRS_Joy wrote:
Sensing some hatred here. Back down. I'll bet you love our "damn" holidays because you get paid time off for them even though it sounds as though you might be of the Jewish faith. Are you crying in your coffee when you get your paycheck and you are paid for the Christian holidays? Don't think so. It all comes out in the wash; you take a vacation day for your holiday but you end up getting paid for one of your non holidays, one of our damn holidays. Get over it!
sick and tired

Lake Mary, FL

#19 Sep 13, 2007
MRS_Joy wrote:
<quoted text>
What you really mean is not in the christians best interests. I am so sick and tired of this christian monoply on faith. All that this means is that you have to explain to your children that there are other faiths out there other than the might christian church.
Happy New Year
Did you attend Temple yesterday for your holiday or are you simply venting your obvious anger towards the world/society? If you feel this strongly about a situation, try writing your congressmen, politicians, etc. but for CHRIST's sake, get off of your soap box and direct your anger somewhere else.

P.S.-It is referred to as the "mighty" Christian church and the word Christian should always be capitalized just as your Jewish faith is always written with a capital "J." Happy New Year (Rosh Hashana) not the "Chrisitan" holiday of January 1 as you stated in an earlier blog. By the way, January 1 isn't a religious holiday; it is celebrated by anyone, any faith, on American soil.
sick and tired

Lake Mary, FL

#20 Sep 13, 2007
Hawkeye wrote:
Amen!
The Revelator

Orlando, FL

#21 Sep 13, 2007
TheRunningNurse wrote:
Absurd. Not one Jewish child in my son's class
You seem very certain of that. Did you personally interrogate each child as to their belief system, or are you just expecting "them" to still be wearing yellow stars on their clothes? You prove the point nicely that everything isn't always all about YOU and yours - who is in your kids' classes is irrelevant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rosh Hashana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ruth Bader Ginsburg surprise speaker at Rosh Ha... Sep '17 Just Saying 7
News Does God have only one voice and one message? (Oct '16) Nov '16 True Christian wi... 83
News Uman Hasidic Pilgrims May Carry Ebola Virus, Uk... (Sep '14) Oct '14 Does Not Compute 3
News Who needs Jews? (Sep '13) Sep '13 NukUShima 17
News Israelis celebrate Jewish New Year, amid turmoil (Sep '13) Sep '13 paul SHYKORA arts 3
News Ukraine Robbers Steal $50K From Hasidic Pilgrimage (Jul '13) Aug '13 American Observer 17
News On Jewish new year, Israelis fear Iran strike (Sep '12) Sep '12 SHYKORA ARTs paul 1
More from around the web