Few survivors of Pearl Harbor attack remain

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

The number of southern New Mexicans who were at Pearl Harbor the day it was attacked 68 years ago today is alarmingly low.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Hmmm

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Judged:

Use better sources than wikipedia.
Merlin

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Judged:

I was in the Navy for 6 years, and had to remind everyone each year when Pearl Harbor day was. Even now, out here at work, the flag is at the top of the mast, and no mention of what today is.
I see ignorance

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Judged:

' "It's a special day because except for the 9-11 attacks, it's the only time in history that America has been directly attacked by an enemy," said Pablo Jimenez...'

Of course, only a person of Hispanic ancestry would conveniently forget to mention Pancho Villa's attack on Columbus, New Mexico.

And only the clueless folks at the Sun-News would let that omission slip into print.

Timothy Smith

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Judged:

I greatly appreciate Mr. Jimenez's service to this country in our armed forces, but he is profoundly wrong when he is quoted as saying that "Pearl Harbor and the 9-11 attacks were the only time in history America has been directly attacked by an enemy."

In the summer of 1814 as part of the British Navy's Chesapeake campaign of the War of 1812 a force of British soldiers were landed on the coast of Maryland. After defeating American militia at the Battle of Bladensburg, Maryland the British proceeded to take Washington DC. President Madison was forced to suddenly flee to Virginia, leaving the British commander and his officers to eat his already prepared dinner in the White House dining room, before they set fire to the White House and any government building they could find in the city.

About a month later, during this same campaign the British attempted to reduce Fort McHenry, which protected the entrance to Baltimore Harbor. The failure of the British to do so, inspired Francis Scott Key to pen the National Anthem of the United States.

I believe the British invasion of 1812 qualifies as a direct attack on the territory of the United States. But there is also the Japanese attack on the Aleutian Islands as a diversion to the attack on Midway during the Second World War. The Japanese even occupied part of the Aleutians for part of the war. In the 1840s President Polk claimed Mexico attacked US forces in Texas as the basis for the Mexican American war. The United States considered the raid of Pancho Via on Columbus as an attack on American soil by an enemy. Our government sent General John "Blackjack" Pershing to Fort Bliss to lead an expedition to hunt him down. Pershing would later lead our forces to victory in the first world war. Our embassies are considered part of American territory, and so the Iranian attack on our embassy during President Carter's term could be considered an attack on our soil as well. And there are many more examples besides these one could reference.
more direct attacks

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Judged:

The destruction of the ammunition depot (along with the ammunition) by the Germans on Black Tom Island in N. Y. C. Harbor during WWI would also count as an attack. That occurred while the U. S. was still officially neutral. The Germans were implicated in the destruction of U. S. based ammunition plants at about the same time, and the infection of mules and horses being shipped to Europe with glanders and possibly anthras.

And don't forget the sinking of U. S. merchant ships by German submarines, in U. S. territorial waters, before this country entered WWII - including the torpedoing of a ship at dock in New York City.

-----
The amount of history being taught in this nation's public schools and colleges is also "alarmingly low." It shows in news reports from the U. S., every day.
Al Reine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Judged:

Let's see if President Obama says anything other then that he is sorry that America used the Atomic Bomb ! In that BHO and his grandmother lived in Hawaii,? If he really was born in Hawaii ? Does Michelle Obama ever feel proud of America yet ? Never forget December 7, 1941, 911, or who is the Bimbo liberal in the White house ? Give America The change Back ! God Bless America and all of the Brave Men and Woman of the US Military Service, including All Vets !
Tony M

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Judged:

This is a sad comentary on how little Americas' history is respected in American schools. Not one mention of the importance of today at my son's school MHS or where I work GMS. But, let us not forget May 5th and Sept 16th. turns my stomach.
Publius2

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Judged:

Tony M wrote:
This is a sad comentary on how little Americas' history is respected in American schools. Not one mention of the importance of today at my son's school MHS or where I work GMS. But, let us not forget May 5th and Sept 16th. turns my stomach.
When the Japanese attacked, all Americans knew immediately we were at war.
When the second plane hit the World Trade Center, most Americans knew we'd been attacked and later supported President Bush that we were at war.
Today, President Obama and his Attorney General apparently think we are not at war. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (KSM), the alleged mastermind of 911, a foreign combatant is not going to be tried in a military court for his part in the attack that killed more people than the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Instead, Eric Holder - this administration's Attorney General is going to put KSM on trial in a civil criminal court as though he were an American citizen. This should be an outrage to every American.
Al Reine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2010

President Obama forgot History; BHO is to busy making his own Wars and History ! Then their is Michelle Obama who is not proud of America ! Do You Feel Safer With President Obama and his Liberals ? Then we have HLS CZAR Janet, and Attorney General Liberal Eric Holder who will give lawayers and a prayer rug to are enemy ! Lok at North West Orient/Delta Jet on Christmas with the under wear Terriost bomber ! Yes Liberalism is a Mental Disease; RECALL Obama and Holder before more Americans die because of these two LIBERALS ! BHO !
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

Judged:

I see ignorance wrote:
' "It's a special day because except for the 9-11 attacks, it's the only time in history that America has been directly attacked by an enemy," said Pablo Jimenez...'
Of course, only a person of Hispanic ancestry would conveniently forget to mention Pancho Villa's attack on Columbus, New Mexico.
And only the clueless folks at the Sun-News would let that omission slip into print.
Pancho Villa's attack was not by the Mexican government, was it? It was merely a foray by a private gang. I may be wrong on my history, but you were dead wrong in your comment against Mr. Jimenez about "only a person of Hispanic ancestry would..." Do you realize how reckless and racist that sounds?
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

Judged:

Merlin wrote:
I was in the Navy for 6 years, and had to remind everyone each year when Pearl Harbor day was. Even now, out here at work, the flag is at the top of the mast, and no mention of what today is.
Maybe it's because average Americans are far more mature than some flag-waving super-patriots, and have moved on. By now, Pearl Harbor is getting to be completed history just like the attack on the USS Maine or the War of 1812. The War of 1812 caused far more damage and suffering right here on US soil, whereas the Pacific war was mainly "out there." Yet you don't see us holding parades and speeches every year about 1812, do you?

During that Pearl Harbor generation's lifetime all kinds of atrocities were done here to minorites. Blacks injected with syphillis in a government program, the Tuskegee Project. Native American families torn apart, kids kidnapped from parents and sometimes abused sexually in those boarding schools. Eskimoes and Aleuts in the internment camps with the Nisei. Thousands of lynchings.

I'll make a deal with you. We'll stand at attention every December 7th if you white people all get together once a year and go "waa..boo-hoo.... we're sorry!" I'm sorry about the deaths at Pearl Harbor, but can get as irritated with ultra-patriots as today's whites can get annoyed hearing about past wrongs.
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

Judged:

For Americans of non-European origins, the United States has only been a free country since Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights movement changed it. September 11th was done against my country, and makes me seething mad. Whereas Pearl Harbor was done against Archie Bunker's country. It makes me shrug my shoulders: "Yes, Japan was wrong, but no worse than everything whites have done since 1492 to other races."

Instead of opening up old wounds and the graves of people's family, let us find consolation that human beings today have learned to treat each other on a completely different basis. Weren't those 4700 black men lynched during basically that same lifetime just as human, and just as much US citizens, as white servicemen who died in the sneak attack?

How much of a fuss did America of that generation make about their lives and their rights?
indy

Mansfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2010

Tony M wrote:
..... i agree ...... clueless people dont know the realities of our history, they only know the bad stuff that we may or may not have done.... i think its good to remember may 5th, if your in mexico..... we need to remember our special days, stop catering to other countries, thats their job, we have ours..... thanx to all vets, esp pearl vets today tho ....
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2010

Tony M wrote:
No, Tony M, on this complaint I totally agree with conservatives! It is preposterous if anyone wants to live in America and then rub their own heritage into the faces of other Americans. I personally get annoyed when I see all kinds of foreign flags and bumper stickers extolling other nations. When my family bought a grocery store in Fairlawn, New Jersey, one of the first things Dad did was to remove foreign flags on the logo.
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2012

Al Reine wrote:
Let's see if President Obama says anything other then that he is sorry that America used the Atomic Bomb ! In that BHO and his grandmother lived in Hawaii,? If he really was born in Hawaii ? Does Michelle Obama ever feel proud of America yet ? Never forget December 7, 1941, 911, or who is the Bimbo liberal in the White house ? Give America The change Back ! God Bless America and all of the Brave Men and Woman of the US Military Service, including All Vets !
Anyone saying we should apologize for using the A-bomb is full of b.s. Hitler was working on developing nukes, and thank God we beat him to it! Can you imagine if History had worked the opposite way round and the Nazis or Japan made it first? They would have created open-air versions of Dachau and Nanjing. I am basically a liberal, and very angry about racist atrocities or injustices done against minorities in those days. But I also appreciate that we have to look after America's welfare if we want to live here.

The Nazis forced us to make the bomb. Japan forced us to use it. And then the Soviet Union and now Al Qaeda have forced us to keep it.
Elsie YesSir

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

I see ignorance wrote:
Yes to all this, except that we also tend to forget completely the attacks by the Japanese on the West Coast of California. One seldom sees anything about it in the press.
Elsie YesSir

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Publius2, and too many others, seem to omit the clear fact that Obama is a virulent, open enemy of the USA. It is abundantly clear, from his actions, that Obama's goal is to destroy the very country of which he is President. Worse, he might well be re-elected!!! While Obama preys, we fail to pray. And to act!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pearl Harbor Day Discussions

Search the Pearl Harbor Day Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Virginia Launches Military Credentialing Websit... (Dec '12) Dec '12 thinking free 2
'Kiss' statue installation delayed (Nov '12) Nov '12 snapcracklepop 2
9/11: A day to remember, not re-purpose (Oct '12) Oct '12 alan 2
Norwalk (Oct '12) Oct '12 fukuda 1
Hillman honored at ceremony (Jan '12) Jan '12 Guysrus 2
Hucks Poll: 9/11 Respect Lacking (Oct '11) Oct '11 Vivek Golikeri 1
Letters to the editor: Generation disappearing (Dec '09) Dec '10 Vivek Golikeri 21
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••