Language for Cleveland school reform ...

Language for Cleveland school reform bill finalized at last minute

There are 41 comments on the The Plain Dealer story from Jun 11, 2012, titled Language for Cleveland school reform bill finalized at last minute. In it, The Plain Dealer reports that:

Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson, left, and Ohio Gov. John Kasich announce a deal last month to reform Cleveland schools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Plain Dealer.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
clueless

Cleveland, OH

#1 Jun 12, 2012
OK. Here we go again. I see they want to put another levy to the people. As I understand they have done nothing with the last inprovement buildings levy but misspend the funds. They are losing so much matched STATE monies and then turing it into operating funds and millions. I would not vote for any levy for this mismanaged district, and that starts at the top of the chain, works down to the bottom. But as always they will say the little guy is making to much money.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#2 Jun 12, 2012
clueless wrote:
OK. Here we go again. I see they want to put another levy to the people. As I understand they have done nothing with the last inprovement buildings levy but misspend the funds. They are losing so much matched STATE monies and then turing it into operating funds and millions. I would not vote for any levy for this mismanaged district, and that starts at the top of the chain, works down to the bottom. But as always they will say the little guy is making to much money.
I don't see anything in this article about a levy.
mike

Akron, OH

#3 Jun 12, 2012
Regardless of what they do - in a few years from now nothing will have improved. Too many parents that breed but have no interest in parenting.
wow

New York, NY

#4 Jun 12, 2012
agreed

Location hidden

#5 Jun 12, 2012
mike wrote:
Regardless of what they do - in a few years from now nothing will have improved. Too many parents that breed but have no interest in parenting.
I don't agree with the meme about parenting.

However, I understand that the City of Cleveland is changing, rebuilding downtown--spurred by a younger generation eager for the city life. So, at this point I wouldn't discount any possibilities with regard to the schools.
G Cooper

Powell, OH

#6 Jun 12, 2012
Wonder if it affect surrounding Co.'s at all. (around Cuyahoga)
hey now

Powell, OH

#7 Jun 12, 2012
Don't be surprised to read that the reforms include 4 seclusion rooms aka rape chambers per school for the deviant sex crimianls masquerading as teachers. And dispensing of behavioral control drugs. And condoms for 2nd grade boys. And birth control pills for the 1st grade girls.And secret abortions. And free gender re-assignment counselling for 3rd graders. And immunity from prosecution for teachers in good standing in the union.

And don't forget, yearly levy increases and bi-monthly walkouts and threats of solidarity strikes with the SEIU janitors.
Shanikwah

West Chester, OH

#8 Jun 12, 2012
Don't agree with the parenting meme? What's not to agree with? Things just "Father Know's Best" round your wine and cheesey burbs I suppose. The fact that you've never connected the dots doesn't mean others haven't.
clueless

Cleveland, OH

#9 Jun 13, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see anything in this article about a levy.
Read into the issue further. They are going to be asking in November, they have a 66 million dollar debit to cover..... Thanks to Mr. KSUCK cutting all the state monies to the local schools. Also it will be coming to the BURB's soon.
clueless

Cleveland, OH

#10 Jun 13, 2012
mike wrote:
I agree, This is the reason they will not let them into the charther schools they are starting ( they are picking and chosing the students so they have a better chance of looking good ). All the THUGS are stuck in the Cleveland School District because the PARENT can't control them and want the Cleveland Teachers to be they Guardian's .......
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#11 Jun 13, 2012
clueless wrote:
<quoted text>Read into the issue further. They are going to be asking in November, they have a 66 million dollar debit to cover..... Thanks to Mr. KSUCK cutting all the state monies to the local schools. Also it will be coming to the BURB's soon.
wrong

the burbs pay for their schools; and the inner city schools.

if the inner city folk paid, there would not be a problem.

the inner city folk are the problem.

I moved away from Cleveland area in 1979. Nothing has changed in 30 years; and won't anytime soon.

the mistake on the lake is surrounded by other mistakes.

Detroit is tearing down 35% of the inner city; and Cleveland needs to.

Cleveland needs to reap what it sowed by itself. Their decesions are why the problem exists.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 13, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't agree with the meme about parenting.
However, I understand that the City of Cleveland is changing, rebuilding downtown--spurred by a younger generation eager for the city life. So, at this point I wouldn't discount any possibilities with regard to the schools.
who cares what you think?

Cleveland has rebuilt the city how many times?

The field of dreams in the inner city......build it; and they destroy it.

ever wonder why Cleveland is no longer the largest population base in Ohio?

I will let you guess.

Location hidden

#13 Jun 13, 2012
Shanikwah wrote:
Don't agree with the parenting meme? What's not to agree with? Things just "Father Know's Best" round your wine and cheesey burbs I suppose. The fact that you've never connected the dots doesn't mean others haven't.
Parents get to be a scapegoat for problems in schools. I have seen some very dedicated parents struggle mightily to get their kids an education from a school system that had written them off.

If anything, it is the poor relationship between schools and parents we should be looking at. And a relationship takes two.
mike

Akron, OH

#14 Jun 13, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Parents get to be a scapegoat for problems in schools. I have seen some very dedicated parents struggle mightily to get their kids an education from a school system that had written them off.
If anything, it is the poor relationship between schools and parents we should be looking at. And a relationship takes two.
IT takes two - parents that is. The problem remains that 80 percent of black kids are born to single mothers and the father it totally out of the picture. You can try and whitewash that fact all you want but to do so only perpetuates the problem.

Ii can remember a few years back here at North High School when the school was considering holding parent/teacher conferences at the mall to TRY and get parents to show up. Thats how pathetic a good percentage of these parents - both white and black - are.
They really could not care less.

Location hidden

#15 Jun 13, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
IT takes two - parents that is. The problem remains that 80 percent of black kids are born to single mothers and the father it totally out of the picture. You can try and whitewash that fact all you want but to do so only perpetuates the problem.
Ii can remember a few years back here at North High School when the school was considering holding parent/teacher conferences at the mall to TRY and get parents to show up. Thats how pathetic a good percentage of these parents - both white and black - are.
They really could not care less.
And schools are stuck in a rut of thinking that the only way to communicate with parents is to try to get them all to show up somewhere at the same time. That is 19th century thinking.

At the same time, teachers in CCS do not have voicemail, their email addresses are not published and school websites are seriously underused. In most buildings phones are not even answered after the last bell.
clueless

Cleveland, OH

#16 Jun 13, 2012
KSUCK will suck all the schools in OHIO dry very soon.......... By the way Columbus is a hell hole also, don't throw stone at glass houses. I lived in Columbus for a while and found Cleveland was 200% better. I will take the lake over the Olentangy any day of the week .....
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#17 Jun 13, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
And schools are stuck in a rut of thinking that the only way to communicate with parents is to try to get them all to show up somewhere at the same time. That is 19th century thinking.
At the same time, teachers in CCS do not have voicemail, their email addresses are not published and school websites are seriously underused. In most buildings phones are not even answered after the last bell.
addressing your above post..........

exactly who is in fault? Bush?

The employees of CCS are!

stuck in a rut?

how about filled with employees that are incompetent and need fired?

maybe we should throw away more money in the CCS?

and in regards to parents....we hired govt employees to educate ALL OF OUR CHILDREN. As parents we need to make sure our kids do the work.

The employees need to do their job or be replaced.

HS grads can't make change for a dollar.
mike

Akron, OH

#18 Jun 13, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
typical response. school do not expect all parents to show up at the same time. they do indeed expect them to find the time to visit with the teacher once a quarter to discuss the progress - or lack thereof - of their children. But for some - that is asking too much because, of course, the world should revolve around their needs rather than those of their kids.

Reader is the king of excuses.

Location hidden

#19 Jun 13, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
typical response. school do not expect all parents to show up at the same time. they do indeed expect them to find the time to visit with the teacher once a quarter to discuss the progress - or lack thereof - of their children. But for some - that is asking too much because, of course, the world should revolve around their needs rather than those of their kids.
Reader is the king of excuses.
Communication has moved far beyond that kind of come in for a conference in person mechanism. But that is still the wall that schools are butting their heads up against.

When I was in school we got out an hour early one day a week and the teacher had two conferences. It was always mothers, of course, because none of our mothers had jobs. There was also a PTA where mothers met (my mom didn't--but enough apparently did) regularly to tote up tax stamps we brought in and to organize fundraisers and assign room mothers to recruit other mothers to bake cookies for special celebrations. That was a good fit for that time.

It is not a good fit for our time--and it has nothing to do with how competent or caring the parents are. But there are a million more ways to communicate and schools are for the most part NOT using them.

Why?

I don't agree with RS who claims that the teachers are all incompetent and should be fired. I think that schools don't have a very great desire to having meaningful relationships with parents, or haven't really given any thought to WHY they want to have these once a quarter conferences. But the fact that the conference route is unsuccessful provides, as I said, a convenient scapegoat when kids are not learning as well as we might hope.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#20 Jun 13, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Communication has moved far beyond that kind of come in for a conference in person mechanism. But that is still the wall that schools are butting their heads up against.
When I was in school we got out an hour early one day a week and the teacher had two conferences. It was always mothers, of course, because none of our mothers had jobs. There was also a PTA where mothers met (my mom didn't--but enough apparently did) regularly to tote up tax stamps we brought in and to organize fundraisers and assign room mothers to recruit other mothers to bake cookies for special celebrations. That was a good fit for that time.
It is not a good fit for our time--and it has nothing to do with how competent or caring the parents are. But there are a million more ways to communicate and schools are for the most part NOT using them.
Why?
I don't agree with RS who claims that the teachers are all incompetent and should be fired. I think that schools don't have a very great desire to having meaningful relationships with parents, or haven't really given any thought to WHY they want to have these once a quarter conferences. But the fact that the conference route is unsuccessful provides, as I said, a convenient scapegoat when kids are not learning as well as we might hope.
of course you would not fire employees who fail in their position; but provide excuses for their failure; and blame Bush.

big surprise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Memorial Day Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Major TV cast reunion coming to Texas comic con Feb '16 JANICE LYNN 1
News Major TV cast reunion coming to Houston Feb '16 Cast news 3
News Couple insist big cat prowling nearby (Aug '08) Feb '16 Driver1 102
News New information today in 2002 murder of Hopetha... (Jun '10) Jan '16 Christine Jones 31
News Leflore County dropping Confederate Memorial Day (Jul '15) Dec '15 Samson of Southie 2
News Pittsfield gathers for Police Memorial Day (May '15) Dec '15 John L 93
News DUI Checkpoints in Las Vegas Already Producing ... (May '10) Nov '15 Local 8
More from around the web