Open and closed on Martin Luther King Day

There are 3 comments on the Cape Cod Times story from Jan 19, 2009, titled Open and closed on Martin Luther King Day. In it, Cape Cod Times reports that:

Cape Cod Times member services and classified offices are open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Convenience stores Liquor stores Malls Most pharmacies Restaurants Retail stores Supermarkets Reader Reaction Before you ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Cape Cod Times.

Kyle

Spirit Lake, ID

#1 Jan 19, 2009
Living in racist Oregon
What Martin Luther King Day in Lane County Oregon means to me. In 2006 my wife and I were living in Federally Subsidized housing, our landlord started shooting at us with a shot-gun. He shot at us 14 times over a 10 day period. We called 911 twice. The first time the Lane County Deputy went to the landlord’s house, we could hear her laughing. Nothing was done. The next time we called 911, the shot-gin blasts are recorded on the 911 tape, the incident was recorded on video tape where you can hear the blast and the pellets hitting the house, the landlord again told Lane County deputies that he wasn’t shooting in our direction. The deputy told him,“I saw the tape and you can plainly hear the pellets hitting the house.” The landlord’s lawyer sent us an e-mail stating that his client did shoot at us but “couldn’t conceive that it would reach us.” The Lane County D. A. has the case open but refuses to prosecute. The FBI was asked to look into this but did nothing in 2006. I asked the Eugene Oregon branch of the FBI to look into it in 2008. I called them back 2 weeks later; they said they had done nothing. I called them again 1 week ago. They said they would look into it. In my opinion Lane County Oregon has not progressed in Civil Rights at all in the last 100 years. I have contacted every news organization in Oregon, not one has had the decency to mention that in the 21st century it is considered OK to shoot at minority tenants if you have the proper connections. To add insult to injury I was told that if our landlord had been shooting at wild turkeys they would have fined him.
MLK

United States

#2 Jan 19, 2009
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Obama sure as hell wasn't judged by his character (or lack thereof), but rode in on white guilt and the concept of positive discrimination.

The dream is dead. Martin Luther King's ideals have been discarded for the cult of victimhood and entitlement.
Ben

Painesville, OH

#3 Jan 19, 2009
Are you kidding? Firstly, the fact that you have the audacity to choose "MLK" as your pseudonym is atrocious considering your comment. Secondly, Obama's election to the presidency is an exemplification of the lessening racial tension in the United States. There is no such thing as "White Guilt" and even if it did exist it wouldn't effect the votes of European Americans. Even if it did exist though, the fact that people would be motivated by guilt rather then hate is an amazing improvement. Martin Luther King worked incredibly hard to give African Americans all of the opportunities that they didn't have during his lifetime and regardless of how President-Elect Obama was elected, he is now in a position to inspire Americans and hopefully lead with all of the mettle and intelligence that he had exuded throughout the last year. In conclusion, Martin Luther King's dream is not dead, it is as soon to actualization as it ever was.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martin Luther King Day Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News None of us should buy what Hillary is selling (Apr '06) Thu TheOriginalDoby 5
News Martin Luther King Day in Twin Cities: What's open Jan '15 Mpls 15
News Celebrating Martin Luther King's dream in Lenoir (Jan '13) Jan '15 State of Florida 11
News Frozen pipes plague local homes and businesses (Feb '14) Apr '14 Kee Wess Bears 4
News Palin directs "race card" insult to Obama on ML... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Zombie Corpse Rental 6
News Chicago Children's Museum plans King Day play (Jan '14) Jan '14 reality is a cru... 1
News Renowned Gospel Choir To Perform At Newtown Syn... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sol 1
More from around the web