School Sorry For 'Insensitive' MLK Jr...

School Sorry For 'Insensitive' MLK Jr. Lunch

There are 28 comments on the WFMZ story from Jan 15, 2010, titled School Sorry For 'Insensitive' MLK Jr. Lunch. In it, WFMZ reports that:

Denver Public School officials are apologizing after a parent complained that a school lunch meant to honor Dr.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
fifi

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Jan 15, 2010
These parents can be sooooooo ridiculous!! And racist!!
Just Curious

Raleigh, NC

#2 Jan 15, 2010
You've got to be #$%^&! kidding me! Boy, people will look for and find the negative in everything. I'm sure that's what the planners thought, I know, lets offer a stereotypical meal! Won't that be a hoot?!

Jennifer, you're an a$$!
PA reader

Walnutport, PA

#3 Jan 15, 2010
I want to know how this is insentive??
Whamo

Rochester, NY

#4 Jan 15, 2010
If they served Sushi on December 7th

or Hummus on 9/11 <<<<that would be wrong

I remember Georges Foodliner in Bethlehem

sold a cake called a Lincoln Log and Cherry pie

on Presidents Day is that wrong?

Lincoln was assinated too

I think its a good idea <<<< all whities should try

Sweet Potato Pie.....it is good
Southern fried chicken

Phillipsburg, NJ

#5 Jan 15, 2010
Made me hungry for some good chicken. Why is chicken offensive toward the blacks. Colonel Sanders was white
Luckycatt

Phillipsburg, NJ

#6 Jan 15, 2010
Might understand if the meal called for "Black-eyed peas" or something similar but a southern meal being considered insensitive! This world is getting riduculous with what people consider to be offensive or racist!
pinebeetle

Denver, CO

#7 Jan 15, 2010
Bend over backwards to please these people and this is what you get? To hell with them.
John

Catasauqua, PA

#9 Jan 15, 2010
Whoever is complaining is racist. Why even think of this being wrong. At least he is having a day in his honor. How many other Americans are honored in this way?
stormy

Allentown, PA

#10 Jan 15, 2010
Since when is one persons opinion a cause for changing things??? A democracy is about the majority!! But that stopped a long time ago. All it takes is one person's opinion to change everything!! I'm white and I say serve the food you were planning on, it's good stuff.
Captain Chaos

Allentown, PA

#11 Jan 15, 2010
Serving soul food on MLK day is a CELEBRATION of black culture! Duh!
WLloyd

Allentown, PA

#12 Jan 15, 2010
It would offend me but only because I don't like fried chicken and I have no idea what collard greens are and why such a meal would offend anyone?
Winston Smith

White Post, VA

#13 Jan 15, 2010
Collards are good
I think we should celebrate MLK day the first Monday in August everyone is fatigued from the holidays this time of year
the first Monday of August would give us another 3day weekend it would give a boost in the arm to shore communities , mountain camping areas , and give people a reason to get together cook out , go to a baseball game . We would then have a 3 day weekend every month in the summer. It wouldn't be his birthday it would just celebrate his life . Lets start a petition!!!
Del

United States

#14 Jan 15, 2010
The Denver Public school has nothing to apologgize for. What a waste of time and print to even pay attention to something like this. The man was more than the menu on his plate, teach what the man stood for not his menu.
Would he want someone to complain about something like this or go out and encourage and do something good? If you have to think about this statement it's time to take off the sunglasses.
confused

Sellersville, PA

#15 Jan 15, 2010
What I would like to know is this, If the man liked all of the foods mentioned, why are the parents up in arms. Where are the complaints from the students of the Denver school systems. They aren't the ones complaining, their parents are. Maybe the parents should go to school for the day and eat what MLK Jr. liked to eat instead of the students/
3rd shift

Raleigh, NC

#16 Jan 16, 2010
If they had served nothing but Pizza someone might have said that was insensitive, because of the lack of thought.
Insensitive on Purpose

Raleigh, NC

#17 Jan 16, 2010
Just like the mighty oak tree I am not moved by this story. Power to the people, right on.

“Happy Halloween”

Since: Dec 09

Just hanging out.

#18 Jan 16, 2010
This is offensive? I love chicken and collard greens, one of my favs.
felix

Whitehall, PA

#19 Jan 16, 2010
It's probably not a racist act, but common sense would suggest to stay away from such a thing. If you were in charge of picking the school menu, wouldn't you just pick something innocuous for that day to avoid any conflict? Now, if they served that meal on many other days then the school district would have no worries, but it sounds like they purposefully picked it for this day. Why would they do that?
Elliot

Bethlehem, PA

#20 Jan 16, 2010
Are you serious? Who is the racist one here the mother of the student who complained. Obviously she feels african american people eat this..She is the stereotype..People need to stop being stupid and worry about important things..Like there childrens education
John

Catasauqua, PA

#21 Jan 16, 2010
Elliot wrote:
Are you serious? Who is the racist one here the mother of the student who complained. Obviously she feels african american people eat this..She is the stereotype..People need to stop being stupid and worry about important things..Like there childrens education
Do white people eat southern fried chicken? The mother needs to be concerned about her child's learning and things like this make for that teachable moment instead of getting her name on the internety and news that she has accomplished!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martin Luther King Day Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-NAACP leader Dolezal, who allegedly passed f... (Oct '16) Feb '17 transgroid hustle 5
News 2 men questioned over MLK Day shooting of 8, th... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Brad 4
News Richmonders plan roundtable discussion to take ... (Jan '17) Jan '17 docjameson 1
News Known gang member admits to deadly MLK Day shoo... (Aug '16) Aug '16 haha 5
News Use Martin Luther King Day to support same-sex ... (Jan '16) Mar '16 blacksarefilthy 6
News Martin Luther King Day in Connecticut's Litchfi... (Jan '16) Jan '16 LMAO 1
News None of us should buy what Hillary is selling (Apr '06) May '15 TheOriginalDoby 5
More from around the web