City tells 'house-church' it is in vi...

City tells 'house-church' it is in violation | NEWS | Asheville...

There are 136 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 8, 2008, titled City tells 'house-church' it is in violation | NEWS | Asheville.... In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

The people of Zacchaeus House will have to find another place to worship after Easter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Adam

Hickory, NC

#1 Mar 8, 2008
Doesn't the city have bigger issues than "house churches" and signs to worry about? Asheville's leaders are quite a pathetic bunch.
FSU FAN

Maxton, NC

#2 Mar 9, 2008
I swear I think this city drives around when they have nothing else to do and citate anyone that may see out of the norm. You think they have been audited a time or two? Maybe that's what they need!
josh

Charlotte, NC

#3 Mar 9, 2008
For some reason I think that she doesn't understand what ironic really means.

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#4 Mar 9, 2008
""Cantrell and Cook live in the house and offer their two spare bedrooms to people who need shelter. They open their door to anyone who needs food, clothing or an advocate.""

So the city is telling them that they cannot help people? Ehhh gads...I do believe with all that the city has 'overlooked' over they years, they could definately overlook some infraction ---whatever it is---in this instance.

The next homeless person who is found dead because of the citys stupid ideas will be on their hands. My goodness, have a heart.
Engineers Daughter

Great Falls, MT

#5 Mar 9, 2008
Someone complained. That is why the city cited them. Too bad that person didn't try to help. but that would mean getting involved and getting involved means taking a chance. I am a firm believer in people taking responsibility for their actions and the consequences that come with those actions but we have a responsibility to help those who need help. I hope the people who have taken help from these ladies give it in return. Pass it on.
God is Good

Asheville, NC

#6 Mar 9, 2008
God is Good, no matter how the City of Asheville denies Him or His works, He is Good!

Again, the City of Asheville tries to trest the faith and actions of those who follow God, again, they say to God, you do not belong in Asheville.

God allowed Councill to be placed in office and He will be their Judge, and they will have to answer to Him for the actions they take to turn their backs and the City from Him!

God Bless you Asheville!
Matt Cole

Winter Haven, FL

#7 Mar 9, 2008
Tell the City too bad and to take a look at your right protected by the First Amendment of the Constitution. Oh, the Constitution?? That's that document written to LIMIT government interference in our lives and that you took an oath to uphold and protect, city officials!!
PeeAre549

AOL

#8 Mar 9, 2008
It sounds like these two are trying to do what most people wont do,Help people less fortunate than themselves.What happened to the Governments rule,Seperation of Church and State,which I think should be changed to,Seperation of State and Church.Leave them alone,or even better use some of the Citys money to help them bring this place up to CODE.
Doc Bunner

Boiling Springs, SC

#9 Mar 9, 2008
The day that the government starts going inot our houses telling us that we can't worship God is the day I will get my gun and will start cleaning house of the filth that just walked in. On one has the right to enter a house to tell them thaqt they can not have worship services there.
Doc Bunner

Boiling Springs, SC

#10 Mar 9, 2008
Forgive me folks in not proof reading before postingthe following:
The day that the government starts going into our houses telling us that we can't worship God is the day I will get my gun and will start cleaning house of the filth that just walked in. No one has the right to enter a house to tell them that they can not have worship services there.
joey g

AOL

#11 Mar 9, 2008
hey stop harrasing these people there not doing any thing wrong. go after the gangs, wake up what the hell is wrong with you people, are you nuts leave them alone, cant you see there only helping, there not killig or raping or robbing people like the gangs of asheville,go after them you shmucks,
earthtrekker

United States

#12 Mar 9, 2008
This makes the City of Asheville look a lot like the People's Republic of China--raiding house churches. Next will be the City citing people for having a dinner party and praying before the meal, or for having a Bible study (or meditation gatherhing) in one's private home. Every Christian home is a small church, so shut them all down Asheville!!!!
Bru

United States

#13 Mar 9, 2008
If the place is a fire trap, that's one thing, but I'm betting that it is not.

Aren't the "services" there more in the nature of friendship? And how does this differ from college roomates who have a big party at their apt once a week? And invite people to stay with them for a while.

I agree that the city should find better things to do.....like maybe fix up some abandoned buildings and sell them cheap to prople who need housing.

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#14 Mar 9, 2008
Doc Bunner wrote:
Forgive me folks in not proof reading before postingthe following:
The day that the government starts going into our houses telling us that we can't worship God is the day I will get my gun and will start cleaning house of the filth that just walked in. No one has the right to enter a house to tell them that they can not have worship services there.
Heaven forbid they catch the children saying the 'Now I lay me down to sleep' prayer.

This is just plain wrong. I don't care what enity you pray to or even if you do, the City should have their feet held to the fire over this one. This is just plain wrong.

“Local Blogger Gets Involved”

Since: Dec 06

Republic of West Carolina

#15 Mar 9, 2008
It doesn't surprise me one bit. Asheville is not a place for Christians.
dake

Dillon, SC

#16 Mar 9, 2008
Wake up people, this type thing is coming, the only thing is GET OUT AND VOTE,

THE CITY COUNCIL HAS TRASHED OUR CITY, IF IT IS EVER TIME TO TAKE A STAND IT IS NOW. STAND UP AND VOTE GET THEM OUT!!!!!
come on

Asheville, NC

#17 Mar 9, 2008
All violations are complaint drive in the city of Asheville. Someone on that street or neighborhood must have complained. For that matter it could have been another of the several churches in the area to complain. Think of all the things they have to do to be compliant with city laws- this house should have to do the same. It isn't a comdemnation of what these ladies are trying to do but you have to follow man's laws as well as god's. There are churches all over town that have to plant trees, provide parking, have proper permits that is called zoning and this group if not exempt from that.
Lollerkeekles

Great Falls, MT

#18 Mar 9, 2008
Psst, guys... don't call it a "church" anymore.

“Fourth Estate = Fifth Column”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#19 Mar 9, 2008
Sorry, but the citizens of Asheville get exactly what they deserve. When you elect scum, you get to live in and with slime.
James Cassara

Whiteville, NC

#21 Mar 9, 2008
Bru wrote: "If the place is a fire trap, that's one thing, but I'm betting that it is not."

I'm made food deliveries there and the house is kept very clean and in good condition. I cannot for the life of me imagine why someone would have filed a complaint. Amy and Crystal do great work. Their efforts in support of the less fortunate should only be emulated, not criticized.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martin Luther King Day Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2 men questioned over MLK Day shooting of 8, th... Jan 26 Brad 4
News Richmonders plan roundtable discussion to take ... Jan '17 docjameson 1
News Ex-NAACP leader Dolezal, who allegedly passed f... Oct '16 Porsha Shantay Wa... 3
News Known gang member admits to deadly MLK Day shoo... (Aug '16) Aug '16 haha 4
News Use Martin Luther King Day to support same-sex ... (Jan '16) Mar '16 blacksarefilthy 6
News Martin Luther King Day in Connecticut's Litchfi... (Jan '16) Jan '16 LMAO 1
News None of us should buy what Hillary is selling (Apr '06) May '15 TheOriginalDoby 5
More from around the web