james russell
Karyn

Mandeville, LA

#62 Nov 28, 2007
I was mistaken,, I think Jim passed before Larry. I think Larry died around 1998, and Jim was before that. It's so sad what happened to him. Alcoholism destroyed him. I remember visiting him at the VA hospital when he had to go because he was so sick. We had good times hanging around,, Johnnie Whites, Tujaques, the Heartbreak,, all over the quarter. Crazy times, but fun,, I'll never forget them. The poster of me that was originally done was ruined when Jim and Sandy's dog got in the house and destroyed it, so re-did it and the result was Jasmine,, doesnt look identical to me like the first one, but I'm in there. The 91 color poster of the 90 looks more like me actually, and to my knowlege it was the only color poster he ever did. I love the pastels,, not garish like some other Mardi Gras posters. I have the #2 print of that one, but not the original. The original was actually a poster of the 90,, and he colored it in, took out the ball. He was a big fan of subliminals,, the 90 has JFK's profile in it.
sue80

Lake Charles, LA

#63 Nov 29, 2007
Karyn wrote:
I was mistaken,, I think Jim passed before Larry. I think Larry died around 1998, and Jim was before that. It's so sad what happened to him. Alcoholism destroyed him. I remember visiting him at the VA hospital when he had to go because he was so sick. We had good times hanging around,, Johnnie Whites, Tujaques, the Heartbreak,, all over the quarter. Crazy times, but fun,, I'll never forget them. The poster of me that was originally done was ruined when Jim and Sandy's dog got in the house and destroyed it, so re-did it and the result was Jasmine,, doesnt look identical to me like the first one, but I'm in there. The 91 color poster of the 90 looks more like me actually, and to my knowlege it was the only color poster he ever did. I love the pastels,, not garish like some other Mardi Gras posters. I have the #2 print of that one, but not the original. The original was actually a poster of the 90,, and he colored it in, took out the ball. He was a big fan of subliminals,, the 90 has JFK's profile in it.
I looked up Larry Shearer and found this link :
http://www.genforum.familytreemaker.com/shear...
did you know the charlie coco that posted this?

The more i learn about Mr Russell the more i intrested i become. thank you for taking the time and sheding yet still more light on a very talented man. I'll have to check out the print and see if i can find jfk.
Karyn

Mandeville, LA

#64 Nov 30, 2007
sue80 wrote:
<quoted text>
The more i learn about Mr Russell the more i intrested i become. thank you for taking the time and sheding yet still more light on a very talented man. I'll have to check out the print and see if i can find jfk.
No,, I dont know Charlie Coco,,,, but Larry did do horse portraits. We were down at the racetrack one time and I saw some. If I remember correctly,, he was either asked to do,, or actually did a portrait of Jacquelyn Klugman, Jack Klugman's horse.

Larry did two oils of me,, I have both of them,, I know where one is, but cant find the other,, it was small,, the other one is really big though. He and Jim used to hang around a fellow artist named Rockmore,, Rockmore had some work hanging the the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
Karyn

Mandeville, LA

#65 Nov 30, 2007
sue80 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in a bar in the Quarter on Decatur St called Legends,, my then boyfriend and I used to go there. I didnt drink but he did. We would listen to the juke box,, Unchained Melody,, House of the Rising Son,, stuff like that. I first saw Jim's work there. I cant remember the year, but the poster was Robyn. The bar tender told us she knew Jim and told us where to find him. We met him,, bought him some drinks,, liked him immediately. We wanted a portrait of me done from a photo and Jim said he would do it,, and did,, and asked if he could use my image for the 1990 poster,, so I said of course. We spent many crazy hours haunting the quarter with that man and met some interesting people, Larry and Rockmore among them. People I never would have encountered otherwise. Lots of times I wondered what the heck I was doing,, but it was a time I wont forget,, not that I cherish the memories,, but I certainly wont forget them. I was in my 20's,so I didnt really know a whole lot,, was not experienced at all and saw a questionable side of life, a side I could do without,, but I liked Jim,, I had so many laughs during that time and he was brilliant,,, fatally flawed,, but truly a brilliant artist.
Windy

Liverpool, NY

#66 Dec 1, 2007
Karen, It's so nice to finally find out a little bit about Jim. All I knew about him was what was in the bio. on the back of some of the prints. I'm glad you found this forum and shared with us! One of his models no less. That's great! I had tried to find some more info. on him on the net, with no luck. I was surprised when I read he was from originally from Michigan. I bought my first two posters years ago when visiting in the quarter. I had them shipped back to Michigan and have been a collector ever since. May be you could answer a question. Besides Marilyn, Lady Luck and Lady Luck 2, how do you know the names of the other ladies? I have read on this forum people referring to them by name, but I have no idea which ones I have. Although I have just identified Audry from the last posting.
Windy

Liverpool, NY

#67 Dec 1, 2007
Karyn, sorry I misspelled your name.
Karyn

Mandeville, LA

#68 Dec 2, 2007
Windy wrote:
Karen, It's so nice to finally find out a little bit about Jim. All I knew about him was what was in the bio. on the back of some of the prints. I'm glad you found this forum and shared with us! One of his models no less. That's great! I had tried to find some more info. on him on the net, with no luck. I was surprised when I read he was from originally from Michigan. I bought my first two posters years ago when visiting in the quarter. I had them shipped back to Michigan and have been a collector ever since. May be you could answer a question. Besides Marilyn, Lady Luck and Lady Luck 2, how do you know the names of the other ladies? I have read on this forum people referring to them by name, but I have no idea which ones I have. Although I have just identified Audry from the last posting.
Honestly,,, I dont know all the names,,, the one's I know he told me, and if I remember correctly,, some of his prints had the names on them. I think he started in 1978,, and if you can believe his story,,, and it should be easy to confirm, he started the big Mardi Gras poster movement,,, maybe he meant using a model. I'm sure Mardi Gras posters were around before '78. And,, I can't remember which one,, although I would know if it I saw it,, one of the "ladies" was actually a guy in drag. I'm glad I found this forum too,, I had no idea there was so much interest in him and his work. I've never been able to find much about him on the net either. I've been trying for years to find out the value of my original art,, but have had no luck. The galleries in New Orleans have been less than helpful.
Marie

Los Angeles, CA

#69 Dec 16, 2007
sue80 wrote:
I am looking for information about James Russell. He was a New orleans street artist who died in 1994. I am a big fan of his work and am also looking for copies of his Mardi Gras ladies.

When you find some. And if they have extras will you please let me know my email is [email protected] Thanks.
Pete

Jacksonville, FL

#70 Dec 25, 2007
I too am a big fan of James Russell and would like to find more of his work, [email protected]
sue80 wrote:
I am looking for information about James Russell. He was a New orleans street artist who died in 1994. I am a big fan of his work and am also looking for copies of his Mardi Gras ladies.
Pete

Jacksonville, FL

#71 Dec 25, 2007
Looking for James Russell prints, I have 2 now but am looking for more earlier ones. I live in Jacksonville Florida my e-mail is [email protected]
sue80

Lake Charles, LA

#72 Dec 25, 2007
Pete wrote:
Looking for James Russell prints, I have 2 now but am looking for more earlier ones. I live in Jacksonville Florida my e-mail is [email protected]
which prints dou you have?
Pete

Jacksonville, FL

#73 Dec 25, 2007
Lady Luck '96 and Mardi Gras New Orleans '90
sue80 wrote:
<quoted text>
which prints dou you have?
Pete

Jacksonville, FL

#74 Dec 25, 2007
ok, The one I am looking for is Named "ANN MARIE"

Since: Dec 07

Lake Charles, LA

#75 Dec 25, 2007
Pete wrote:
ok, The one I am looking for is Named "ANN MARIE"
ann marie shows up often on e bay.
Pete

Jacksonville, FL

#76 Dec 26, 2007
Sue, if you happen to hear of one can you let me know, i will check in here daily. thanks

Lake Charles, LA

#77 Dec 28, 2007
Please beware of price gouging on on-line auctions. There is some bozo on e-bay selling 2 prints (Ann Marie and Audry) for (get this)$399.00. Makes me really mad when people do that!
Some tourist came in his shop and told him you couldn't get Russell prints there for less than 500.00. Crazy!!
Pete

Jacksonville, FL

#78 Dec 28, 2007
I saw that, still keeping an eye open for just an Ann Marie.
pete

Jacksonville, FL

#79 Dec 29, 2007
Sue, I am very impressed with your James Russell collection. That is awsome. Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to have one as good as that. I have 2 working on 2 more, then of course an Ann Marie is my next search.

Lake Charles, LA

#80 Dec 29, 2007
pete wrote:
Sue, I am very impressed with your James Russell collection. That is awsome. Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to have one as good as that. I have 2 working on 2 more, then of course an Ann Marie is my next search.
I don't own all of the prints on flickr just a few.(maybe about 9) I kinda collect pictures of the ones i don't have also. I just really like Russels work and,I thought other people would like to see examples of his work too.
pete

Jacksonville, FL

#81 Dec 29, 2007
I was wondering if anyone knows if there was a poster in the following years from james russell, and if so if they have a picture of what it looks like...1980,82,84,92,93,95,and 97

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mardi Gras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nudity illegal during Mardi Gras! Must go to Ke... (Oct '12) Mar '16 Joanne 2
Bacchus King (Jan '16) Jan '16 Paradelover60 1
Whose signature on this 1994 Mardi Grass Poster... (Oct '15) Oct '15 bab18 1
News Ukraine got up Shrove Tuesday (May '15) May '15 DrMoro 1
News 14 fun facts about Pancake Day and why we go fl... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Ryanviola 1
"Body Paint' L. Graff poster (Jan '14) Jan '14 Susan 1
Music for Mardi Gras (Jan '14) Jan '14 Sandy 1
More from around the web