Eateries scratch heads over hiding be...

Eateries scratch heads over hiding beer - The Park Record

There are 22 comments on the Park Record story from Sep 9, 2011, titled Eateries scratch heads over hiding beer - The Park Record. In it, Park Record reports that:

Sam Harris, owner of Sammy s Bistro, was forced to redesign his bar and kitchen to hide the beer taps he installed last year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Park Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Maynard

Riverton, UT

#1 Sep 9, 2011
Might be the dumbest law ever! Who comes up with this nonsense?
Cooter

Park City, UT

#2 Sep 9, 2011
Maynard wrote:
Uh.....Mormans......duh......
Utah is the Morman Church

Park Valley, UT

#3 Sep 10, 2011
Unfortunately, separation of Church and State does not apply in Utah, and the laws continue to reflect that.
REALIST

West Jordan, UT

#4 Sep 10, 2011
Ummmm... ok, so a "religion" (read pedophilia club) which was founded by a charlatan well over 100 yrs ago is still determining where we store our booze? WTF is wrong with this state???

This is one of those things that in 50 years (or 1 year?) we will look backand say wtf were we thinking letting these freaks run the show here in the nation of Park City!!

We know the end result of this religion-a life of contradiction, suppression, plastic surgery, prozac, denial of reality, self-loathing and a complete aversion to logic-all in the name of controlling the lemming unknowing followers brainwashed into this cult.... It's time to end it now!! EFFF this law and all the others generated out of this mindset of control, economic spiritualist and cultism! End the madnesssssss!!!!!!!!!
Part-timer

Miami, FL

#5 Sep 10, 2011
Love to see all the skeletons in the closets of the idiots that came up with this law.
patrick

Salt Lake City, UT

#6 Sep 10, 2011
I worked at blue iguana last winter on main st and had to hide behind the zion curtain in order to make margaritas. It's doesn't sit well with patrons when you take a drink order and disappear. If it doesn't sit well with patrons, it doesn't tip well for bartenders. At a time when work is hard enough to come by and we have endless opportunity here in PC all winter long, why suppress a huge part of the hospitality industry???

We are a hospitality/service city in a hospitality/service state and PC generates too much revenue for this state to not have its voice heard in creating legislature. If we start moving backwards on pre-historic alcohol laws now, why would people looking to book a stay in UT, CA, Canada or CO choose PC if they know they can't get the long island they're used to?

Free markets provide services that patrons demand. Patrons demand drinks, they should be able to get them without wondering what's going on behind the curtain. You hear a lot in politics these days about removing regulation restraints from business in order to grow economy, this seems like a prime example.

Nothing wrong with religion, just no place for religion in politics!
PC Skier

Park City, UT

#7 Sep 10, 2011
Maynard wrote:
These people do...listen to this interview with Utah State Senator Valentine explaining why this law makes perfect sense...and you might just be running for the border by sundown.

The myopia and logic of elective officials in Utah is simply...stunning.

http://chirb.it/6b2tIN
PC Skier

Park City, UT

#8 Sep 10, 2011
What is amusing as well as there was a recent call to legislate the mountain of junk food and drinks in vending machines in Utah schools (in an effort to promote health and decrease obesity.)

The reply: What food choices children make should be taught by parents.

But in the case of beer and other alcohol...well, we need to hide it to protect the children.

It's maddening.
Silver Lake

Park City, UT

#9 Sep 10, 2011
Seperation between Church and State!
Eat Coast Tourist

Alpharetta, GA

#10 Sep 10, 2011
Making it even easier to spend hard earned vacation $$ in CO!
Valentine-tard

West Jordan, UT

#11 Sep 10, 2011
PC Skier wrote:
<quoted text>
These people do...listen to this interview with Utah State Senator Valentine explaining why this law makes perfect sense...and you might just be running for the border by sundown.
what a effn joke-this guy is a joke. a lackey of the church pandering to the lds mania.. this is one sick person. only one possible explanation for this logic-SHALLOW GENE POOL!!!!!!!!!!
Sharonc

Springfield, MO

#12 Sep 10, 2011
PC Skier wrote:
<quoted text>
I listened to Sen. Valentine. Talk about pretzel logic?! People need a Zion curtain, other wise they don't know whether they are in a bar or a restaurant?! Bizzarro world indeed.
Enough

Salt Lake City, UT

#13 Sep 10, 2011
Since the UDABC has ruled that the city has the ability to grant restaurants the right to serve alcohol on the "dining decks" which are on public property (the street) and also allow you to cross a sidewalk (again public property) to do so because the city's is the final decision maker then the solution is simple - the city passes an ordinance that allows us to have grown up bars and restaurant. The argument is that the state is jeopardizing the core industry of PC (tourism) and endangering the livelihood of every citizen in the city.

Here you go Dana - how about taking an issue that really matters and gets the city more money instead of costing it a bundle like treasure hill.

Since: Sep 11

Ogden, UT

#14 Sep 10, 2011
If city ordinance overrides state law then let's get er done. What are we waiting for?
PC Sherry

Draper, UT

#15 Sep 10, 2011
There is no such thing as " separation of church and state." It only goes one way. The bill of rights says: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

It does not say that a group of fanatics, given enough voting congregants cannot establish asinine laws that force reasonable people to tear out their hair and throw up their hands in despair.

Utah is a beautiful place run, legislatively, by the most bizarre group, short of the Taliban.
Utah is the Mormon Church

Park Valley, UT

#16 Sep 10, 2011
While I do not condone vandalism, I had to laugh at the clueless guy interviewed on the news the other night who was "baffled by what that means" referring to the "Church of Utah" spray paint on the state capitol. Was he really that baffled and didn't understand the reference to the LDS Church basically running this state?

Since: Jul 11

San Francisco Bay Area

#17 Sep 10, 2011
a sad commentary on the state of life in Utah ... I'm not much of a drinker, so this law has virtually no impact on me personally, but I find the perceived attitude of those with political and social power in Utah to be offensive to the point that I would deliberately order a drink or a beer (which I would almost certainly never do otherwise) just to fly in the face of those incredibly cretinous legislators who mandated this ridiculous policy.

Since: Sep 11

Clarksville, TN

#18 Sep 11, 2011
I'm the guy the Utah Legislature needs to think about. I am in the brewpub business. My family has been coming to Park City for years. We were seriously considering buying a house and putting a brewpub there. We were there a last month looking at properties. This past ski season we came to Park City as usual but also went to several areas in Colorado just to make sure Park City is really the spot for us.

We might move forward with buying a house because we really like the Utah snow and resorts but we can't bring a business to that environment. Weird laws are bad enough but a legislature that is actively trying to damage the hospitality industry pushes the risk factor way too high for making a $3 or more million dollar investment on a restaurant/brewery there.

And I thought it was backwards here that we can't sell beer till noon on Sundays? It's all relative.
Major Domo

Draper, UT

#19 Sep 11, 2011
I think it was Wimmer or Waddups when asked about this new legislation said something to the effect: thes laws might be an inconvenience but they will save countless lives. These kooks actually believe that these silly laws will change peoples behaviors and stop young Mos from ever drinking. They also want to deter people who drink from coming to UT to vacation or relocation. They could care less about the negative economic impact. If youre running a business of this sinful nature you deserve to go out of buiness. They see it as protecting their hallowed Zion. It also doesnt help that our local law enforcement is led by LDS faithful.

They should remember that Brigham Young was not only a drinker but owned several saloons and made his own wine too. These facts are unfortunately not tught in primary. Jesus also drank wine probably every day of his adult life.

So much for the UT tea bagging rhetoric of keeping Govt out of business.
Goodbye Utah

South Jordan, UT

#20 Sep 11, 2011
I say we should secede from Utah, and be come part of Wyoming! After all, we already share a border. I am sure the Wyoming would love to have three more world class ski resorts!

They (Utah Legislature) think that we are a bunch of sinners, so why don't we just leave? They can continue their puritanical ways and be rid of us devil worshipers!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lughnasadh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lynda Bianchi new principal at Williams Elementary (Jul '09) Jul '16 mike rotch 80
News Chad Micah Harcus (Aug '07) Jul '16 rayko 21
News Spudnuts donut shop returns to city on Aug. 1 Jun '16 Jenni 2
News New Lawrence Park police chief starts job Aug. 1 (Jun '10) May '16 Four mile 94
News Rajesh Khanna & Dimple on Filmfare (Aug 1-15, 1... (Feb '11) Jan '16 Roshini 7
News My friendly neighbourhood witches (Jul '08) Dec '15 Kathwynn 457
News Santa Cruz County's diminished real estate valu... (Jul '10) Dec '15 WooF 20
More from around the web