No spectator sport

No spectator sport

There are 14 comments on the LongmontFYI story from Mar 27, 2009, titled No spectator sport. In it, LongmontFYI reports that:

Kat Lindgren used a flat feather to expertly fan burning sage over the small huddle of pagans gathered Saturday in the backyard behind her Lafayette home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LongmontFYI.

“Please don't feed the trolls.”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#1 Mar 27, 2009
Why the author chose this title for this article eludes me...but give it a read.

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

#2 Mar 27, 2009
Not to mention why they consider fanning incense smoke to be an "expert" activity...

Oakville, Canada

#3 Mar 27, 2009
The Real Lori wrote:
Why the author chose this title for this article eludes me...but give it a read.
It was a quote from one of the people interviewed for the article. It's at the end.

The point of the quote is that many Pagan religions, like Wicca, are ones where everyone is expected to participate -- they are not like Christian religions where most people are part of a "congregation" who sit as an audience to watch a select few do all the work.

Oakville, Canada

#4 Mar 27, 2009
CShine wrote:
Not to mention why they consider fanning incense smoke to be an "expert" activity...
It seemed pretty obvious to me they were indicating the person handling the incense had done this many times before. Perhaps you would be happier if they had used a synonym, like "skillfully fanned the incense."

It shows the author of the piece was sympathetic to the people who were interviewed. They could have put things in a worse light by describing things as being "clumsily done" or something like that. It's nice to see that they were sympathetic.

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

#5 Mar 27, 2009
I think these were just lighthearted jest. At least mine was. Dude- It's Spring!

Location hidden

#6 Mar 27, 2009
GAP...I think you should relax man. A little razzing never hurt anyone. We all knew exactly what being talked about...it was a joke.

Oakville, Canada

#7 Mar 27, 2009
Yeah -- funny insults always work so well on the internet.

Location hidden

#8 Mar 27, 2009
Who insulted whom? If you have a problem with the article, take it up with the author. No one here said a word.

Have a lovely evening!

Oakville, Canada

#9 Mar 28, 2009
razzing = funny insults (you know, the so-called lighthearted jests.)

Who has the hair trigger again?

Personally, I tend to see insults as demeaning. Funny doesn't involve putting other people down.

Getting back on topic though I found the article "No Spectator Sport" to be refreshing because it related how some real live Pagans celebrate the Spring Equinox without the usual condescension often found in mainstream accounts. It wasn't a perfect article of course but it was clear and upbeat.

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#10 Mar 28, 2009
It was nice to see a positive article about Wicca for a change.

Location hidden

#11 Mar 28, 2009
Gay And Proud wrote:
Personally, I tend to see insults as demeaning. Funny doesn't involve putting other people down.
Getting back on topic though I found the article "No Spectator Sport" to be refreshing because it related how some real live Pagans celebrate the Spring Equinox without the usual condescension often found in mainstream accounts. It wasn't a perfect article of course but it was clear and upbeat.
Very well...please tell me exactly what you found insulting? I will heartily apologize. If you are so sensitive that a simple turn of a phrase made you pout, I wouldn't want to be the one who is responsible.
I still don't see what it has to do with you at all...you didn't even get here until afterward, but by all means, tell me what ANYONE did wrong to you and I myself will not only take the brunt of it, but apologize for it, sincerely, and from the heart.

Since: Jul 07

New York, NY

#12 May 10, 2009
a nice well written article...

“Just a Koldunia”

Since: Jan 08

Kostroma

#13 May 15, 2009
Gay And Proud wrote:
and I thought I was over sensitised.

“A witty saying proves nothing”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#14 May 15, 2009
Gay And Proud wrote:
Yeah -- funny insults always work so well on the internet.
FINALLY I find someone who agrees with me on that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Imbolc Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Groundhog Day Should Be Outlawed (Feb '14) Dec '16 Tracy collier 17
News Roots of Groundhog Day: It casts a shadow back ... (Feb '15) Apr '15 guss 8
News A Promise at Lammas (Aug '13) Aug '13 Kathwynn 1
News Pooties & Woozles: The Promise of the Light (Feb '12) Feb '12 Pagan and Proud 1
News Yule and the magic of winter (Nov '11) Nov '11 NM Desert Rat 1
News Wiccans gear up for Ball (Oct '11) Oct '11 NM Desert Rat 1
News Can groundhog predict weather? (Feb '11) Feb '11 mos 13B10 3
More from around the web