Thousands gather for Groundhog Day in Punxsutawney

Feb 2, 2009 Read more: The York Daily Record 8
Thousands of revelers, some buoyed by the Super Bowl victory by the Pittsburgh Steelers, are waiting for Punxsutawney Phil to make his annual Groundhog Day appearance in western Pennsylvania. Read more
A Questioner

Westerville, OH

#1 Feb 2, 2009
Who IS this Phil individual? And how has he managed to live well over 100 years? Frankly, I'm skeptical of the whole thing.
Tyrone Williamson

Bristol, PA

#2 Feb 2, 2009
I love this time of year, when people choose to use groundhog stories to lightly veil their racial overtones.

Truly a classless act and yet another shot at those of us who finally, thanks to our presidential electoral system, can walk with our heads high for once.
Chauncy

Harrisburg, PA

#3 Feb 2, 2009
Tyrone Williamson wrote:
I love this time of year, when people choose to use groundhog stories to lightly veil their racial overtones.
Truly a classless act and yet another shot at those of us who finally, thanks to our presidential electoral system, can walk with our heads high for once.
Pray tell, what the h*** are you talking about?
Juggy Gales

Bristol, PA

#4 Feb 3, 2009
Chauncy wrote:
<quoted text>
Pray tell, what the h*** are you talking about?
I think it's fairly obvious. Don't assume that just because its 2009, that skin color isn't an issue any longer. So called holidays like this are filled with references to superiority of certain colors.

Sad but true.
Chauncy

Harrisburg, PA

#5 Feb 3, 2009
Juggy Gales wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's fairly obvious. Don't assume that just because its 2009, that skin color isn't an issue any longer. So called holidays like this are filled with references to superiority of certain colors.
Sad but true.
OK, I'll play along. Ground hog day in Punxsutawney is nothing but an all night party with a bonn fire, a disk jockey, and fireworks just before dawn. Then at the crack of dawn the guys in the top hats pull the rodent out of a tree stump and he supposedly tells them there's 6 more weeks of winter (most of the time). Then everybody heads back into town for breakfast. It's just a good excuse for an all night party.

Now please tell me what that has to do with race!
MyWorld

Harrisburg, PA

#6 Feb 3, 2009
What the crap does groundhogs day have to do with be racial??? Afterall he is a brown groundhog and everyone likes him!!
MyWorld

Harrisburg, PA

#7 Feb 3, 2009
Some of you will call everything a racist act! Grow up and get over yourself!

So...the groundhog is brown and he calls for 6 more weeks of winter...and snow is white. Aww, now I get it.....NOT!
Tyrone Williamson

Spring Grove, PA

#8 Feb 3, 2009
MyWorld wrote:
What the crap does groundhogs day have to do with be racial??? Afterall he is a brown groundhog and everyone likes him!!
It's the overtones on certain articles. I hate how insensitive people can be.

Until you know our struggles, don't try to sell them short.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Imbolc Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roots of Groundhog Day: It casts a shadow back ... Apr 13 guss 8
News Why Groundhog Day Should Be Outlawed (Feb '14) Jan '15 Kipp 14
News A Promise at Lammas (Aug '13) Aug '13 Kathwynn 1
News Pooties & Woozles: The Promise of the Light (Feb '12) Feb '12 Pagan and Proud 1
News Yule and the magic of winter (Nov '11) Nov '11 NM Desert Rat 1
News Wiccans gear up for Ball (Oct '11) Oct '11 NM Desert Rat 1
News Can groundhog predict weather? (Feb '11) Feb '11 mos 13B10 3
More from around the web