Forecast forces cancellation of Dover...

Forecast forces cancellation of Dover Doug's groundhog appearance

There are 11 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Feb 1, 2011, titled Forecast forces cancellation of Dover Doug's groundhog appearance. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Dover Township has canceled its Groundhog Day observance, meaning its prognosticating marmot, Dover Doug, will not be giving his annual prediction at Dover Area Community Park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Eat MORE Groundhog

York, PA

#1 Feb 1, 2011
Good move "NARK" (whoa)! Observed, in traveling through the metropolis of Dover, PA (U.S.A. in general) them there porkers up that-a-way sure do not need a FREE SPAGHETTI DINNER! Later, I'm goin' out groundhog huntin' to get even with that little 'so-and-so' for this most deplorable weather! Damn, six (6) more weeks, OF WHAT???
Historian

Clifton Heights, PA

#2 Feb 1, 2011
Under normal circumstances I'd usually say "who gives a rat's a$$" but in this case, I'll say "who gives a groundhog's a$$" instead!!

Look at the calendar folks, it's ALWAYS 6 weeks from Feb. 2nd until spring arrives. Always.

Since: Dec 08

Dover, PA

#3 Feb 1, 2011
WIMPS!!!
Words of Wit

York, PA

#4 Feb 1, 2011
To all you d!psh!ts out there regardless of whether or not the groundhog sees his shadow or not, there is at least 10 more weeks of winter.
Quit kidding yourselves, Pennsylvania sucks!
Word of ADVISE ADVICE

York, PA

#5 Feb 1, 2011
Words of Wit wrote:
To all you d!psh!ts out there regardless of whether or not the groundhog sees his shadow or not, there is at least 10 more weeks of winter.
To you, Sir Dip$hit, there is "no anchor up your a$$"! Suggest you leave PA IMMEDIATELY, or SOONER!
Happy Groundhog Day

Dover, PA

#6 Feb 1, 2011
Dear Mr. "Eat MORE Groundhog",
I hope that you feel good after making fun of people who enjoy a community tradition. Groundhog day is to be a fun and humorous day. Obviously you have do not have any type of community spirit and you are a kill joy! I hope you enjoy belittling people because obviously you are a sad little person with no sense of humor. Instead of seeing the fun in something, you try and make yourself feel better at the expense of others. By the way, you may want to revisit grade school grammar because your comment is just scary.
Eat MORE Groundhog wrote:
Good move "NARK" (whoa)! Observed, in traveling through the metropolis of Dover, PA (U.S.A. in general) them there porkers up that-a-way sure do not need a FREE SPAGHETTI DINNER! Later, I'm goin' out groundhog huntin' to get even with that little 'so-and-so' for this most deplorable weather! Damn, six (6) more weeks, OF WHAT???
Yorker

United States

#7 Feb 1, 2011
Words of Wit wrote:
Somebody needs a nap!
MrSmileyHappyGro undHog

York, PA

#8 Feb 1, 2011
Happy Groundhog Day wrote:
I hope that you feel good after making fun of people who enjoy a community tradition. Groundhog day is to be a fun and humorous day. Obviously you have do not have any type of community spirit and you are a kill joy! I hope you enjoy belittling people because obviously you are a sad little person with no sense of humor. Instead of seeing the fun in something, you try and make yourself feel better at the expense of others. By the way, you may want to revisit grade school grammar because your comment is just scary.
<quoted text>
Dear Master/Mr/Miss/Ms/Mrs Happy Groundhog Day: It would be much easier on your psyche if you recognized satire (rather poor, possibly) and not swallowing the hook, line and sinker on 'tom-foolery'! My beloved departed father was born/raised in Dover, PA. Ironically, his birth date, 2 February 1902 (Groundhog Day-always a much celebrated day in our household). Then he finally wised up and moved to West York (satire, ok). And I have no sense of humor, geez! You sound like the same TARD that accused me of making fun of old people; then laughing at THEM. I $hit canned him from my acquaintance list as well. At 75+ years of age, you will not have much longer to humiliate me. LOL... Ah, what does grade school grammar have to do with scary. Possibly my PhD in psychology has something to do with my being scary! Whata' you think! Laugh, its later than you think in this most tumultuous world. Suggest you take a little trip to Cairo!
Ron Whitmire

Glen Rock, PA

#9 Feb 1, 2011
No matter what its 6 weeks of winter left.
Bill Likes it RAW

York, PA

#10 Feb 2, 2011
Happy Groundhog Day wrote:
<quoted text>
What community tradition? Dover, and every other podunk town in the mid-state with nothing going on for itself, has ripped the idea off because they desperately need something! I agree groundhog's day was cute...until Dover needed a stupid guy in a ground hog costume who break dances his predictions. That's not cute or fun, it's embarrassing. Mt.Wolf has a dumb stuffed groundhog and I can't decide which is more pathetic.
Dover ought to stick to what it's good at, white trash, low property value, and teaching Jesus in public schools. Anyone who isn't from Dover hates Dover, and Dover Doug isn't winning the town any new fans.
Graham

York, PA

#11 Feb 2, 2011
The practice of Groundhog's day should be abolished as it is a pagan ritual in which the spirit of the groundhog was used as a means to channel malevolant forces from the other side.
Several hundred years before the man known as 'Christ' walked the Earth the was an ancient ritual practiced in what is today New Guinea, in which the pagans would on the second day of the second cycle of the year would sacrifice a new born infant to a den of belly crawling mammals. In the ancient ritual that mammal was obiously the ferocious Guinea pig, hence the origins for the ritual being in what is today New Guinea.
As the ritual passed through time and region it was eventually adopted by the Quakers in Eastern Pennsylvania who modified the practice to sacrificing an adolescence to a den of Ground Hogs. As the American Groundhogs is not as ferocious as it's man eating cousin the Guinea Pig, the sacrifice was drawn and quartered and stuffed with a oat meal substance, hence the origin of Quaker Oats.
The ritual then moved across the state where now the loyal pagan descendants await for the Groundhog's True prediction...the end of the world. So tonight in Gobbler's Knob, the remaining pagan's will rejoice in a blood orgy in hopes that the following 2/2 will bring about the end times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groundhog Day Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Warren raking in millions in campaign donations Feb '17 Tikee 2
News February a short month, yet long on fun in Chicago Feb '17 former democrat 1
News Bridgeport prairie dog says Punxsutawney Phil i... Feb '17 America Gentleman... 2
News Calif. Groundhog Is a Tortoise Feb '17 Spirit67_ 6
News Ontario's Wiarton Willie 'predicts' early sprin... Feb '17 Ed Peavoy 1
News Canada's Groundhogs predict early spring Feb '17 CO2 eh 1
News Does Bay Beach Bobbie see her shadow? new Feb '17 Justyna henke 1
More from around the web