IceFest begins in downtown Chambersburg

Billed as the biggest and best IceFest yet, Chambersburg's 9th annual winter festival began with a flourish Thursday with a large crowd on Memorial Square watching a ribbon-cutting ceremony. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jim

Greencastle, PA

#4 Jan 28, 2011
There might be 50+ sculptures, but the map in my Weekender was printed so poor how will I find them?
Dan the Man

Carlisle, PA

#5 Jan 28, 2011
Jim wrote:
There might be 50+ sculptures, but the map in my Weekender was printed so poor how will I find them?
LOL! Walk down Main Street. You can't miss them.
Faith

Mercersburg, PA

#6 Jan 28, 2011
This is one of the best events Chambersburg offers ~ Great Job!!!!
Townie

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Jan 28, 2011
Was down last night for the carving of the throne and it's always nice to see our downtown lively and full of people.

Good job organizers!
gangsta B

Gardners, PA

#8 Jan 28, 2011
Jim wrote:
do a drive by.
Jo_R

Warsaw, IN

#9 Jan 28, 2011
The stores and some offices have maps and schedules of events you can pick up when you get downtown.

The giant pretzel at F&M is neat!
Wunderwhy

Biglerville, PA

#12 Jan 28, 2011
I see the Mayor put his foot in his mouth again. Making a mockery of another town celebration was not necessary no matter what it is.

It's obvious that Punxsutawney knows what they are doing since this is the "120th" year of celebration and the Ice Fest is only in their 9th!

Chambersburg is larger than Punsutawney and is boasting 10,000 people. Punxsutawney has had as many as 40,000 at one celebration.

That celebration is NOT about a MANGY groundhog but about their early settlers and the legend of Candlemas Day.

That would be the same as mocking our early settlers like Benjamin Chambers and laughing at our Rose Rent Day that this town makes a big deal out of.

Be proud of what you have accomplished downtown but do not mock others.
wunderwhy 2

Allentown, PA

#13 Jan 28, 2011
a mangy rodent ...you really said that...
Big Dealer

Newport, PA

#14 Jan 28, 2011
Hmmmm, an entire weekend devoted to gazing lovingly at "plain white ice."

What WON'T Chambersburg consider entertainment??

Want to impress me?
Bring a real ice artist to town, like Randy Finch:

http://www.myspace.com/iceguru
Dan the Man

Abington, PA

#15 Jan 28, 2011
Big Dealer wrote:
Want to impress me?
Lots of "plain white ice" in your link too.

And nothing vastly superior to these:
http://www.dimartinoice.com/gallery.html
Jake

Newburg, PA

#16 Jan 28, 2011
Wunderwhy wrote:
I see the Mayor put his foot in his mouth again. Making a mockery of another town celebration was not necessary no matter what it is.
It's obvious that Punxsutawney knows what they are doing since this is the "120th" year of celebration and the Ice Fest is only in their 9th!
Chambersburg is larger than Punsutawney and is boasting 10,000 people. Punxsutawney has had as many as 40,000 at one celebration.
That celebration is NOT about a MANGY groundhog but about their early settlers and the legend of Candlemas Day.
That would be the same as mocking our early settlers like Benjamin Chambers and laughing at our Rose Rent Day that this town makes a big deal out of.
I agree Mayor Pete, once again, shows just how little class he has. He should apologize publicly to the fine people of Punxsutawney.
A thought

Jersey Shore, PA

#17 Jan 28, 2011
Wunderwhy wrote:
I agree with everything you've said. The mayor made the exact same comments last year at the ribbon cutting. But please remember his comments are not those of the downtown or the organizers of this event. Their just his comments. No need to compare one festival to the other - we should be proud of ours without need to compare!
Fun fun fun

Jersey Shore, PA

#18 Jan 28, 2011
Big Dealer wrote:
Want to impress me?
Hey! It's not just ice sculptures, it's watching the giants get carved, it's an ice slide for kids, it's fireworks, it's a chili cook off, a snowflake ball, fun food, and something to get families out of the house in the middle of winter. Why the need to knock it? So much effort goes into this event - 9 months of planning for a committee made up of volunteers, and financial support from local people and businesses. Really? Really? If you don't like it, don't go. But don't knowck it for people who think it's fun.
Fun fun fun

Jersey Shore, PA

#19 Jan 28, 2011
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>I agree Mayor Pete, once again, shows just how little class he has. He should apologize publicly to the fine people of Punxsutawney.
I agree the comments were stale (he said the same thing last year) and not necessary. I agree the mayor can keep things positive - so many people made this event a success and it would have been nice if the mayor had focused on the amazing people in his own community.(If he is willing to share the spotlight!) But I highly doubt the fine folk of Punxsutawny will even catch wind of his comments.
woot wootwooten

Newport, PA

#20 Jan 28, 2011
Fun fun fun wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! It's not just ice sculptures, it's watching the giants get carved, it's an ice slide for kids, it's fireworks, it's a chili cook off, a snowflake ball, fun food, and something to get families out of the house in the middle of winter. Why the need to knock it? So much effort goes into this event - 9 months of planning for a committee made up of volunteers, and financial support from local people and businesses. Really? Really? If you don't like it, don't go. But don't knowck it for people who think it's fun.
Really - you attend all of those things?
Who does?

And if you can't get your family out of the house for a reason other than ice in the dead of winter well then enough said lol.

This is just another attempt to get people to come into the Dying Downtown area (which they probably would not do anyway) to spend their money needlessly.

Unless of course you stop in for a taco or at one of the Mercado Latinas.

Nevermind I will wait for the photos in the P.O.

Si Chambersburg.
Wunderwhy

Biglerville, PA

#21 Jan 28, 2011
Fun fun fun wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree the comments were stale (he said the same thing last year) and not necessary. I agree the mayor can keep things positive - so many people made this event a success and it would have been nice if the mayor had focused on the amazing people in his own community.(If he is willing to share the spotlight!) But I highly doubt the fine folk of Punxsutawny will even catch wind of his comments.
Oh yes they will and they did! I am a member of THE PUNXSUTAWNEY GROUNDHOG CLUB and have participated in many of the celebrations.

You just never who is on here!
Hayseed

Birdsboro, PA

#22 Jan 28, 2011
Jim wrote:
I don't know how some of you maneuver through life. Do you sit with your eyes closed and your hands in your pocket?

http://www.icefestpa.com
Hayseed

Birdsboro, PA

#23 Jan 28, 2011
Big Dealer wrote:
Want to impress me?
The event is not the same as looking into your refrigerator's ice box and wondering why the door won't close. IceFest is an excellent winter event for the county seat. Just enjoy the festivities like the rest of the mob downtown.
cold chill

Shippensburg, PA

#24 Jan 28, 2011
I think it's horrible to talk of that cute furry groundhog as a mangy rodent! SHAME ON YOU! and he's more famous than you Mr Mayor and a lot more people see him than would ever come to downtown Chambersburg! I went a couple time to ice fest and sorry I don't find it that exciting. It's blocks of melting ice and some of them people had broke which aggravated me that people do things like that. I can just imagine how long that dollar is going to stay in the frozen wishing well! Last year I avoided driving thru downtown because of all the people gawking and causing traffic hazards.
Rock Hoover

Chambersburg, PA

#25 Jan 28, 2011
Beer, food, hot chicks, and ice sculptures. What more could you want?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groundhog Day Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Groundhog Dropped By NY Mayor Dies Sep 29 DILF 17
Balzac Billy sees no shadow, but Environment Ca... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jonny Two Shirts 2
Storm could bring more snow than Wichita has ha... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Sweet on Nature 2
Only rarely is the Groundhog right. (Feb '14) Feb '14 He who knows 1
So, did Punxsutawney Phil see his shadow on Gro... (Feb '14) Feb '14 ear candy 1
Obama&#x27;s Still President, Monday the D... (Feb '14) Feb '14 ear candy 1
Michigan's Woody the Woodchuck: Six more weeks ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 ear candy 1

Groundhog Day People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE