Asheville's 'Woodchuck weather creatu...

Asheville's 'Woodchuck weather creature: Spring around the corner

There are 8 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Feb 3, 2011, titled Asheville's 'Woodchuck weather creature: Spring around the corner. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

It seems even the city's critters have winter weather fatigue. The Western North Carolina Nature Center's Nibbles the groundhog said Wednesday afternoon that she could not see her shadow, which according to the rules of folklore forecasts means that spring is just around the corner.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Asheville Reader

Hendersonville, NC

#1 Feb 4, 2011
Spring around the corner? when? that figures, all these folks had to put big $$ in their oil & propane tanks, now it's becoming spring. Eek! maybe gas will go down too. woohoo.
Asheville Reader

Hendersonville, NC

#2 Feb 4, 2011
man, nibbles is sure cute. what a cute name too. makes me want to own a pet groundhog : )

“Kill Bambi Before He Kills You”

Since: Feb 11

United States

#3 Feb 4, 2011
Watch out woodchucks are dangerous. Do you realize how big their teeth are? They will chew up your yard and you can fall in a hole and kill yourself.
We want out money back if Spring is going to come early. Those gas people ripped us off if Spring is coming early.
kac

Spartanburg, SC

#4 Feb 4, 2011
Did you know a woodchuck(beaver) and a whistle pig(ground hog) are two different creatures? For the record., very few creatures see enough sun in the winter mountains, early in the morning, to even cast a shadow. I saw a whole bunch of solid black wooly worms this year, so it's gonna be a bad winter.
Asheville Reader-real one

Hendersonville, NC

#5 Feb 4, 2011
So, kac, we're going to continue to have wintery conditions thru March you think?
let me get this str8, the groundhogs, are the ones who see their shadow, correct?
I cannot see how it's possible to not see a shadow on a sunny day. Well, it's sort of a mystery, isn't it? hehe.. Wonder what the farmer's almanac says this year. They're usually right about stuff.
Yeah.. look how many cities across the nation are getting pounded by the snow this year! Did you see that car that landed on its nose, upside down up in Salem, NH on the net kac?

Crazy stuff, huh?
kac

Spartanburg, SC

#6 Feb 4, 2011
March goes like this: in like a lion out like a lamb "This is true". As far as the groundhog goes, it has to be a local groundhog. The prediction will only be good for the holler that he lives in.

You're gonna be hard pressed to find a wild groundhog coming out this time of year in the mountains anywhere. Basically because they are smarter than us and we used to eat them.
Yankee groundhogs are weird and their predictions considered iffy.
ALSO
Idiots who traded in their winter driving vehicles, for a 2000 pd. rubber mounted rolling sled and live on an 80 degree slope in the mountains. "i hope they get what they pay for"
Slingblade

AOL

#7 Feb 4, 2011
Does this wood "chuckie" ride a motorcycle?

“My possum won a prize.”

Since: Jun 10

Candler

#9 Feb 4, 2011
Ghost Dogs Dead Wife wrote:
What does the lazy assville spearchuck say? Come out of their public housing from smoking crack all night praising obammy and they can't see their shadow.
Lame and stupid... FAIL. This poster isn't even trying ...yawn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groundhog Day Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News No shadow: Pennsylvania groundhog 'predicts' ea... (Feb '16) Feb '16 you mad bro 14
News The Morning Roundup: An Early Spring, an Underw... (Feb '16) Feb '16 PATRICIA 1
News Canadian groundhogs issue clashing weather pred... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Sam 1
News Pennsylvania groundhog set to 'predict' whether... (Feb '16) Feb '16 too much 11
News Winnipeg woodchuck Willow dies just before Grou... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Wollerton Willie ... 3
News 5 Signs The Utica Peregrine Falcon Is Our Punxs... (Jan '16) Feb '16 Comical 4
News 4Whata s that, a groundhog? No, ita s a federal... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Le Jimbo 2
More from around the web