Unless you are Phil, life as a ground...

Unless you are Phil, life as a groundhog ain't that grand

There are 23 comments on the Public Opinion story from Feb 2, 2010, titled Unless you are Phil, life as a groundhog ain't that grand. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Despite their celebrity on a day like today, groundhogs have been a mixed blessing to Franklin County, according to hunters and local residents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
uggggg

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Feb 2, 2010
Well, this whole article makes me want to up chuck.
grosso

Carlisle, PA

#2 Feb 2, 2010
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit- I thought the article was going to tell us if Phil saw his shadow or not.

Anyway, February 2, 2010 - around 7:30 am ET - Punxsutawney, PA:

Phil saw his shadow and thus we are headed for 6 more weeks of winter.

http://www.gojp.com/groundhog/

Boooo!!
amanda

Gettysburg, PA

#3 Feb 2, 2010
I don't understand this. Spring is in six weeks. That is a fact. The first day of spring is March 20th. So.... regardless if the little groundhog sees his shadow or not, spring is around the corner or you could be a pesimist and say six more weeks of winter. Either way, you would be correct.
Mr Bill

Chambersburg, PA

#4 Feb 2, 2010
I love groundhogs. They make great targets.
Local voter

Harrisburg, PA

#5 Feb 2, 2010
Priceless!
George

Grantville, PA

#6 Feb 2, 2010
Hubby says that his family ate groundhogs when he was growing up. He's not interested in eating them now, and I'm not interested in encouraging him to eat them, either.

This article was helpful to me though, because I learned that the groundhog contest starts April 1st. Our neighbor competes in a lot of those contests, and we've got a nest of smart groundhogs behind our barn. Last year, they would sit outside the haveaheart trap, reach thru the sides and eat the food, but they would never go IN the trap.
Dave

Shippensburg, PA

#7 Feb 2, 2010
Keep up insulting Phil & we'll get the worst blizzard in history on March 31st.
hard times

Carlisle, PA

#9 Feb 2, 2010
In these hard times I think this contest could be expanded and they could hold a groundhog stew contest. This could be similar to the chili cookoff but with groundhog. I see potential here.
George

United States

#10 Feb 2, 2010
hard times wrote:
In these hard times I think this contest could be expanded and they could hold a groundhog stew contest. This could be similar to the chili cookoff but with groundhog. I see potential here.
I'm guessing that the only people who would volunteer to be judges at a groundhog stew cookoff would be male hunters or older people who ate it in their youth. I just don't see there being a large number of participants, no matter how hard times are. I'm definitely not interested in eating groundhog, and I bet the majority of the the folks on this board wouldn't be interested, either.
PETA

Chambersburg, PA

#11 Feb 2, 2010
WHERE'S PETA WHEN YOU NEED THEM! this is horrible! These poor little animals can't help it you intrude on their homes. They're just looking for food and raising their family same as anyone else. Look at Phil's sweet little face! MONSTERS!

“Illegitimi non carborundum”

Since: Apr 08

Hagerstown, MD

#12 Feb 2, 2010
Are you kidding me?
This can't be a real story.
Say What

Reading, PA

#13 Feb 2, 2010
We used to eat them two ways, fried in flour or cooked in a pressure cooker with them either stuffed with sour kraut or stuffing mix and all were good.

I used to hunt them every chance I could as they are a destructive animal to fram land, fence rows etc and if not kept in check, they will multipy may times over. A female can have several little "whistle pigs" each litter.

I even had one as a pet and once left go, he lived accross the road in an old fence row for many years!!
Hound at Heart

Geigertown, PA

#14 Feb 2, 2010
PETA wrote:
WHERE'S PETA WHEN YOU NEED THEM! this is horrible! These poor little animals can't help it you intrude on their homes. They're just looking for food and raising their family same as anyone else. Look at Phil's sweet little face! MONSTERS!
First of all, they aren't "poor little animals". They are destructive, extremely smelly creatures that can ruin crops, lawns, trees, bushes, etc., etc. And that's not to mention when you break your ankle by accidentally stepping into one of their burrows!
Hound at Heart

Geigertown, PA

#15 Feb 2, 2010
Say What wrote:
We used to eat them two ways, fried in flour or cooked in a pressure cooker with them either stuffed with sour kraut or stuffing mix and all were good.
I used to hunt them every chance I could as they are a destructive animal to fram land, fence rows etc and if not kept in check, they will multipy may times over. A female can have several little "whistle pigs" each litter.
I even had one as a pet and once left go, he lived accross the road in an old fence row for many years!!
I ate it once when I was a kid. I went to a friend's house and they had it smoked like a ham. It tasted just like ham, too, but was tougher and stringy. I wasn't wild about it!
Say What

Reading, PA

#16 Feb 2, 2010
Hound at Heart wrote:
<quoted text>
I ate it once when I was a kid. I went to a friend's house and they had it smoked like a ham. It tasted just like ham, too, but was tougher and stringy. I wasn't wild about it!
Yea, can be tough & stringy but if ya soak it in salt water overnight or grape jelly, it's hmmmm, hmmm good.
Big Dog

Hagerstown, MD

#17 Feb 2, 2010
My wife just read this article and told me I no longer can pick on her about being from West Virginia.
Harley Girl St Thomas PA

Shippensburg, PA

#18 Feb 2, 2010
PETA wrote:
PETA.......People Eating Tasty Animals
Bucky Beaver

Buffalo, TX

#19 Feb 2, 2010
Gene once killed 342 groundhogs, he said: "I killed 118 while sitting in my truck."

What the...??? is it just me or isn't it unawful to fire a weapon from inside a vehicle?
JUSTSICKOFITALL

Saint Thomas, PA

#20 Feb 2, 2010
If you want to kill a worthless varment kill a human.
ick

Carlisle, PA

#21 Feb 2, 2010
JUSTSICKOFITALL wrote:
If you want to kill a worthless varment kill a human.
start with you self.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groundhog Day Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Warren raking in millions in campaign donations Feb '17 Tikee 2
News February a short month, yet long on fun in Chicago Feb '17 former democrat 1
News Bridgeport prairie dog says Punxsutawney Phil i... Feb '17 America Gentleman... 2
News Calif. Groundhog Is a Tortoise Feb '17 Spirit67_ 6
News Ontario's Wiarton Willie 'predicts' early sprin... Feb '17 Ed Peavoy 1
News Canada's Groundhogs predict early spring Feb '17 CO2 eh 1
News Does Bay Beach Bobbie see her shadow? new Feb '17 Justyna henke 1
More from around the web