Earth Day Art Contest April 14-15

Full story: The Deming Headlight

At left, Zuleika Vega, 14, assists Chelsey Maag, 18, at changing the liner in an award-winning trash can.
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Jul 6, 2012
Just a thought

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2011

Good luck on the contest. Nice design on the newly(I think) painted trash cans. Has the DAC or the Deming Mainstreet considered painting a mural in the supposedly sitting park next to Room with a View? Maybe adding some nice planters with plants or a statue to add beauty to our downtown.
Just a thought

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2011

Correction.Sorry just read the caption under the picture. Congratulations on the design on the newly painted trash cans.
Leffingwell House Museum

Norwich, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2011

We don't have a real contest, this is our first year looking for sculptures. Your description is wonderful! The following is on our calendar.

To celebrate earth day we are asking that people pick up items commonly found by the side of the road and create artistic sculptures for display on our front lawn. In colonial times most things were re-purposed as they grew older but today we toss and abandon on the sides of the street. Our trash bag hand out to clean up the city streets and parks will be limited to two bags per person this year (Our 12th year of Earth Day clean-up leadership in the Norwich community!).

By the way, our President is Austin (Jay) Deming!
Frankie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2011

Judged:

Leffingwell House Museum wrote:
We don't have a real contest, this is our first year looking for sculptures. Your description is wonderful! The following is on our calendar.
To celebrate earth day we are asking that people pick up items commonly found by the side of the road and create artistic sculptures for display on our front lawn. In colonial times most things were re-purposed as they grew older but today we toss and abandon on the sides of the street. Our trash bag hand out to clean up the city streets and parks will be limited to two bags per person this year (Our 12th year of Earth Day clean-up leadership in the Norwich community!).
By the way, our President is Austin (Jay) Deming!
Road side finds....
Can you build a piece of art work from used syringes, condoms, bud light bottles, frito bags, items striped of copper wiring, old cell phones, water bottles, dead skunks and empty bullets? It could be called Cartel classics or meth lite. Bad joke I know, Road side clean up is a nasty job.
On a positive note The trash cans look great. Good Job.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2011

Judged:

...jugs of urine...chunks of tire with sharp steel belt protruding. All the charming things that you want your kids handling as they glorify Al Gore through the majesty of sculpture!
Good luck

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2011

Time for spring cleaning again. Many communities around the country are doing events for the Great American Clean Up during the months of Mar-May with activities that coincide with Earth Day. Some communities offer a Trash Amnesty Day, activities having to do with recycling, volunteer groups doing clean ups at designated spots. Good luck with the contest. Like the trash can designs.
Just an idea

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Just a thought wrote:
Good luck on the contest. Nice design on the newly(I think) painted trash cans. Has the DAC or the Deming Mainstreet considered painting a mural in the supposedly sitting park next to Room with a View? Maybe adding some nice planters with plants or a statue to add beauty to our downtown.
Good idea.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Earth Day Discussions

Search the Earth Day Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Tree House: Heroist Jun '14 Abishai100 1
Learn about state's National Parks during weekl... Apr '14 storm 1
Earth Day Apr '14 Me Too 2
Taylor Swift's Floral Frock: Get Her Pretty Spr... Apr '14 Taylor Swift 1
Green GOP Group Caught Between 'Rock And A Hard... Apr '14 barefoot2626 11
Makeover Guelph St. in 22 Minutes Apr '14 tricky council like ours 2
Sheridan Nurseries employees are ready to clean up Apr '14 Bottle drive april-26th 2
•••
•••