Dressed Like Santa, Brookland Band Te...

Dressed Like Santa, Brookland Band Teacher Attacks Superintendent

There are 84 comments on the KAIT-TV Jonesboro story from Dec 28, 2007, titled Dressed Like Santa, Brookland Band Teacher Attacks Superintendent. In it, KAIT-TV Jonesboro reports that:

“Found in the vehicle was another 9 mm pistol which was loaded”

A Brookland school employee is facing multiple charges after dressing up like Santa Claus and attacking the Brookland Superintendent and his family in their home Thursday night. via KAIT-TV Jonesboro

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KAIT-TV Jonesboro.

Ray

Little Rock, AR

#21 Feb 19, 2008
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't he out on bond? I heard he had bonded out a couple of weeks ago.
he is innocent until proven guilty, right?
paradox hunter

United States

#22 Feb 19, 2008
Ray wrote:
<quoted text>he is innocent until proven guilty, right?
Now there is a good example of 'urban legend'
Momma Ronna

Saint Albans, WV

#23 Feb 20, 2008
Gone wrote:
Seems like some people are missing the point. This band teacher (which should explain alot) dressed up like santa claus, went to someone's house with weapons and attempted (or expressed an interest in) trying to kill the homeowner. None of that can be or should be excused by what the homeowner has done in the past, since the family was also home. Sounds like the best place for Santa is in jail and hopefully for quite some time. As far as the homeowner, if you don't like the guy and he is as bad as you say...take it to the school board and get him fired.
This is not rocket science.
This would be great if the didn't have the whole board in his hip pocket and scared to death of him. Shows what kind of person he is.
curious

United States

#24 Feb 20, 2008
Ray wrote:
<quoted text>he is innocent until proven guilty, right?
When you admit what you did & why you did it that kinda takes the "innocent" out, don't you think?
Brookland parent

Caraway, AR

#25 Feb 26, 2008
Brittany R wrote:
I had contact with both parties that night is all I'm allowed to say. I spoke with both sides and know the reason's stated by both of them for the events that transpired. I also know of the evidence found at the scene, which speaks volumes. I'm not saying the Mr Vaughn may have felt pushed into his actions, but in a civilized society we don,t go around putting guns in peoples faces and threatening them. And the part that bothers me is Mr McGaughey's wife and son were there, and they didn't deserve to be put through that. Obviously Vaughn has some sort of mental illness, as this was out of character for him, and I hope he gets help for that. But he must pay for his actions, as we all would have to do in a similar situation.
seriously...who are you and what do you do for a living? Or are you some kind of witness? And is it proper to be coming on this board saying "I KNOW" before there is a trial?

While I am also not condoning what Mr. Vaughn has done, I am also of the belief that some people get pushed beyond their breaking point. I really feel that happened here. I know that Mr. Vaughn had a different and poor attitude this year as if he didn't care anymore. What could have happened to have changed his attitude so much? Just something to consider.

And as far as the school board...I think the former post is correct. More people in Brookland need to VOTE at school board time, and more of us need to consider running for a position if we want to see any change. Otherwise, that same group will continue to make decisions they think are best for us and our children.
movie buff

Lake Charles, LA

#26 Feb 26, 2008
I graduated from Brookland High School back in 1995. It's a good school and a great town to live in. It's pretty nice and quiet around there. I loved that high school and I wish I lived in the district so my daughter could go there. But alas, I live in the Jonesboro High district.
Ray

Little Rock, AR

#27 Feb 26, 2008
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
When you admit what you did & why you did it that kinda takes the "innocent" out, don't you think?
unless you were coersed!
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

Auburn Hills, MI

#28 Mar 6, 2008
Last we heard he was still in jail his bond is 250,000. His trial date is in April.
20 years out - Brookland

Saint Louis, MO

#29 May 16, 2008
CLOSE TO HOME wrote:
YOUR FACTS MAY BE CORRECT IN WHAT HAPPENED THAT NIGHT. BUT...WHAT YOU ARE NOT CONSIDERING IS THE FACTS THAT LEAD UP TO WHAT HAPPENED THAT NIGHT. YOU DON'T EVIDENTLY KNOW WHAT LEAD TO WHY HE WENT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. THIS IS VERY VERY OUT OF PERSON FOR MR VAUGHN. I AM IN NO WAY CONDONING WHAT HE DID TO MCGAUGHEY. THAT WAS WRONG IN EVERY WAY. BUT SOMETIMES WHEN A PERSON IS PUSHED BEYOND THERE LIMITS, THEY SNAP. I THINK THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED HERE. HE NOW MUST PAY THE PRICE FOR WHAT HAPPENED AND MCGAUGHEY COMES OUT SMELLING LIKE A ROSE! WHICH IS ALSO WRONG. I HAVE HAD 3 KIDS IN THIS SCHOOL AND HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH MCGAUGHEY ALOT. I KNOW HOW HE CAN BE, AND I DON'T LIKE HIM. BUT THAT HAS NO EFFECT ON WHAT HAPPENED WITH MR VAUGHN. BY THE WAY MCGAUGHEY IS THE SUPERINTENDENT NOT THE PRINCIPAL.
I have just found this blog and wanted to reply, you say that this is out of character for Mr. Vaughn, but the year before this, he practically attacked my child in the classroom. He went after my child, pushed another student out of the way, and got into my childs face screaming at him and took the music stand in front of him and was slamming it up and down into the ground, until he broke it. I removed my child from band, and this was very unfortunate because he had so looked forward to it (we found instruction outside of school). I also know personally of other incidents with students, but have never been able to get any answers from the school as to whether or not Mr. Vaughn was ever repremanded...
LSU fan

Trumann, AR

#30 May 25, 2008
I think the important thing is that we need to be in prayer for all parties involved. This is a very good school (which has its problems, as all schools do). It is not our place to judge what was right or wrong, that's a jury's decision. It's not about picking at each other in debates of the facts or things we have heard. Those who have kids in this school, I believe should hold the school up in prayer.
menomorethanyou

United States

#31 Nov 29, 2008
okay to start out Mrs.vaughn was attacked by a student. this messed up her back she had to go to some country to get it fixed. you dont no what shes been thru. the superintendent didnt do anything about her so mr.vaughn went to his house dreese as santa claus and gave the superintendant a present him being so stupid let him in. if it wasnt for his son being there that superintendant wouldve got killed. if they didnt do nothin bout my girlfriend or boyfriends back id want to hurt him too. you dont no how many surgeries that poor girl has been in she was gone half the year more than half actually wanna no how i no i was her student last year.
So whaT

Victoria, TX

#32 Nov 29, 2008
So what ever happened on this?
annonymous

Russellville, AR

#33 Nov 29, 2008
Actually, she injured her back in a car wreck quite a while before the incident with the student. The incident concerning the student was the student yanked something from her. It twisted her back causing more pain than she already had. It was totally completely wrong. The kid was suspended. Mr. Vaughn had no excuse for attempting to kill the superintendent and his wife. Thank goodness their son was still visiting, or the results may have been much much worse.

The case has been continued. I'm not sure of the new date, but they are going on the defense that his medicines made him do it.....
menomorethanyou

United States

#34 Nov 30, 2008
actually i dint o bout the car wreck part but a student threw a music stand at her cuz they had to be uite for 10 mnutes cuz they got in trouble he got mad and threw it at her causing a serious backinjury. i should know i was in the classroom when it happened he was in my class
MindGrapes

Gregory, AR

#35 Nov 30, 2008
menomorethanyou wrote:
actually i dint o bout the car wreck part but a student threw a music stand at her cuz they had to be uite for 10 mnutes cuz they got in trouble he got mad and threw it at her causing a serious backinjury. i should know i was in the classroom when it happened he was in my class
I think you need to pay more attention to what's going on in English class rather than music class.
guest2

Russellville, AR

#36 Nov 30, 2008
menomorethanyou wrote:
Brookland does have better English classes than that. I heard a different story based on the Vaughn's version themselves. It was where the student made her twist her back by pulling something (that he had) out from under her arm that she was taking to the principle's office. Maybe, she forgot the student threw something at her?
here and now

Lake Charles, LA

#37 Dec 1, 2008
Where is this Santa now ???

Jonesboro, AR

#38 Dec 1, 2008
Still out on bail as far as I know, which isn't very far.
brooklandkidd

United States

#39 Dec 12, 2008
From what I've heard around the school since the incident, this is what happened.

A kid in Mrs. Vaughn's class got something taken up, I think it was an instrument, I want to say...a saxophone but I'm not entirely sure. I know that she took it up as a punishment, so the kid got mad and yanked it from her, causing her back to twist.

She's had to fly to Germany to get back surgery before, I think this was before the incident. I remember constantly hearing something about her and her back, all the time, always something new.

So from this last incident, the superintendent had basically no choice but to let her go, and to be honest I think it was nice, so she wouldn't have to worry about work while she could recover. But, something from this made Mr. Vaughn even more fed up than usual and he "snapped", as some of you would say.

Personally, I never liked the Vaughn teachers. They were the rudest to students that didn't take their band classes. I tried to, but I couldn't last any more than 3 or 4 days of Mrs. Vaughn's constant screaming. I also had Mr. Vaughn for study hall on occasions, and being completely honest, this is what he said one day while he was taking us to his band room:

"Just SHUT UP! I know you guys don't like me, and hell, I don't like any of you, that aren't in band, of course. You kids annoy me just as much as I annoy you. And I don't give a sh*t."

I probably will never forget that, it was right outside his classroom door.

So all in all, I think he had some anger issues and I hope he gets or has gotten a big sentence.
Figure

Jonesboro, AR

#40 Dec 12, 2008
I figure there is much more to this story that we will never know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christmas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 5 hr Thinking 4,656
News Amina Hassan: Bring the Christmas spirit to Ram... Jul 5 Merry Islammas 2
News Darryl McDaniels of Run-DMC on addiction, depre... Jul 5 TOBACCO ADDICTION 1
News Hallmark Delivers a 'Christmas Card' (Nov '07) Jul 3 Jenny 80
News Where is Vallejo's vision? (Jan '13) Jun 30 Anonymous 2
Ugly Christmas Sweaters Jun '16 wishingitwaschris... 1
News Tickets now on sale for United Way Holiday Hous... (Nov '14) Jun '16 met-fundraising-t... 2
More from around the web