Five teens charged in Chillicothe Christmas-display vandalism

Jan 7, 2013 Full story: The Columbus Dispatch 111

Ross County investigators think they've found the Grinches who last month destroyed part of a 30,000-light holiday display that is a Chillicothe landmark.

Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
OMG

Chillicothe, OH

#1 Jan 8, 2013
Let's see teenage boys make an stupid move and admit to the incident.
Parent contacted the homeowner right away when they found out to make things right. Homeowner refused to discuss it and said it would be turned over to the law.
Now we paid for investigation and now we are going to tie up our courts with this crap.
What happen to people dealing with their neighbors and their children.
I hope his kids are perfect and never made a mistake.
Once again only the lawyers will make out in this matter.
Mr. Hall could have made these boys pay in many ways. Yard work, snow removal and money.
They are good boys that made a stupid mistake.
Reader

United States

#2 Jan 8, 2013
IMO "good" boys don't do things like this. It was despicable. Don't blame the victim for going to law. It was a case of doorbell ditch.
Reader

United States

#3 Jan 8, 2013
Wasn't a case of doorbell ditch.
cold black coffee

Reynoldsburg, OH

#4 Jan 8, 2013
Good for the Halls!

Maybe "the community" will finally get their kids under control if they see these five in court facing the consequences of their actions.

PS: OMG, that's what the courts are for and it isn't crap. It's five punks having to stand in court, enter a plea and accept their punishment. I hope it is a stiff one, like jail AND restitution, community service and a record.
OMG

Chillicothe, OH

#5 Jan 8, 2013
I wasn't blaming anyone. That taxpayer's are going to pay for this circus.

These kids will be punished worse at home than anything the law will do.

It must be nice to be perfect.
cold black coffee

Reynoldsburg, OH

#6 Jan 8, 2013
OMG wrote:
I wasn't blaming anyone. That taxpayer's are going to pay for this circus.
These kids will be punished worse at home than anything the law will do.
It must be nice to be perfect.
Are you sure about the home punishment? Really sure it will happen? Maybe the Halls doubt it will.

I have no problem with the taxpayers footing the bill to get this through the courts. Eventually there might be fines and court costs paid by these five, restitution made to the Halls again paid by these fives and maybe a lesson learned. If not they will still be out the money they have to pay.

It's not about being perfect, it's about understanding who the victims are in this case.
watch

United States

#7 Jan 8, 2013
I agree with cold black coffee. I doubt that they will truly get home punishment. I am glad that the law took this serious and are dealing with the individuals responsible. It may have been teenagers making a "stupid mistake" but they new it was wrong. One slap on the wrist may just lead them to believe that is okay to make "stupid mistakes." Then, later on they become more serious "stupid mistakes" that the taxpayers will be paying for. It may be no big deal to some people because it was a christmas display but it cost the Halls a lot of money, time and had a huge sentimental value to their family as well as the community. That makes it a big deal in my opinion. Fact is the kids broke the law. They need to deal with the consequences.
worried with reason

Lancaster, OH

#8 Jan 8, 2013
I hope the justice system teaches these kids (and all their age group) more than the "lesson" taught to the two young men who set fire to the Carlisle building.
Nala

Chillicothe, OH

#9 Jan 8, 2013
Good kids DO make bad decisions, especially when they're with friends. HOWEVER... bad decisions, and irresponsible choice also come with consequences. They were well aware of what they were doing. Good kids or not, they need to take their punishment. Hopefully it's wake up call for them.
Clark

Chillicothe, OH

#10 Jan 8, 2013
Just curious but who was driving?
redddd

Portsmouth, OH

#11 Jan 8, 2013
OMG wrote:
Let's see teenage boys make an stupid move and admit to the incident.
Parent contacted the homeowner right away when they found out to make things right. Homeowner refused to discuss it and said it would be turned over to the law.
Now we paid for investigation and now we are going to tie up our courts with this crap.
What happen to people dealing with their neighbors and their children.
I hope his kids are perfect and never made a mistake.
Once again only the lawyers will make out in this matter.
Mr. Hall could have made these boys pay in many ways. Yard work, snow removal and money.
They are good boys that made a stupid mistake.
They deserve to go to JAIL!
Yes

United States

#12 Jan 8, 2013
I'm sure that most, if not all of us have made poor decisions through out our childhoods. Boys have been doings this for generations! However, now we have more media outlets to publicize this event. I'm in no way, shape, or form stating that I do not sympathize for the Hall Family! Yet, I am saying this has been thrown way too far! If you can honestly say that you've never made a poor decision as a child, please continue with your recommended harsh methods to punish these TEENS! But if you can't, please stop! Ironically, it just may be your child getting critisized all over social outlets, such as topix, one day!!!!! On a final note, I feel that these teens should have to reimburse this family for the damages caused. Yet, I'd much whether see the teens today being mischievous verses being a drug addict... Wouldn't you?
Okyeah

Chillicothe, OH

#13 Jan 8, 2013
Courts wwaste time on sh!!t like this when there are drugs, thieves, shootings, stabbings ECT happening here n chilli. Way to prioritize!!!!!!!!!! Steal & get caught w drugs numerous times ..slap on the wrist......kids bn kids JAIL TIME o.O what a fng joke .
Mystery Machine

Chillicothe, OH

#14 Jan 8, 2013
Remember these punks will not even be sent to a real court. They end up in kiddy court where they will be rehabilitated (LOL). I hope this works out better than it did several years ago when the two low lifes set fire to the Carlisle/Howson Building. The kiddy court gave them a slap on the wrist and the community is stuck with an empty hulk in the middle of downtown.
Reader

Chillicothe, OH

#15 Jan 9, 2013
Yes wrote:
I'm sure that most, if not all of us have made poor decisions through out our childhoods. Boys have been doings this for generations! However, now we have more media outlets to publicize this event. I'm in no way, shape, or form stating that I do not sympathize for the Hall Family! Yet, I am saying this has been thrown way too far! If you can honestly say that you've never made a poor decision as a child, please continue with your recommended harsh methods to punish these TEENS! But if you can't, please stop! Ironically, it just may be your child getting critisized all over social outlets, such as topix, one day!!!!! On a final note, I feel that these teens should have to reimburse this family for the damages caused. Yet, I'd much whether see the teens today being mischievous verses being a drug addict... Wouldn't you?
I never trespassed under cover at night, proceeded to destroy someone's property, and steal from them. This isn't a "mistake." This was a cruel, outrageous, criminal act. It caused real pain to a nice man.
redddd

Portsmouth, OH

#16 Jan 9, 2013
Mystery Machine wrote:
Remember these punks will not even be sent to a real court. They end up in kiddy court where they will be rehabilitated (LOL). I hope this works out better than it did several years ago when the two low lifes set fire to the Carlisle/Howson Building. The kiddy court gave them a slap on the wrist and the community is stuck with an empty hulk in the middle of downtown.
I agree!
redddd

Portsmouth, OH

#17 Jan 9, 2013
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>I never trespassed under cover at night, proceeded to destroy someone's property, and steal from them. This isn't a "mistake." This was a cruel, outrageous, criminal act. It caused real pain to a nice man.
I agree!
Ugly

Chillicothe, OH

#18 Jan 9, 2013
The only one person they have to answer to is GOD. And so do you mystery man and whoever else has judged them
calling them punks.
Mystery Machine

Chillicothe, OH

#19 Jan 9, 2013
Ugly wrote:
The only one person they have to answer to is GOD. And so do you mystery man and whoever else has judged them
calling them punks.
Glad to know that we no longer need cops or Judges and God will take care of all the "PUNKS". But, until that happens, PUNKS like this can negatively affect the lives of many people. In this case we have a Christian family that was attempting to share their celebration of the birth of Christ with the community only to have it destroyed by this pack of PUNKS. If past history is an example, we will probably have to wait for God to penalize these PUNKS because the kiddy court rarely hands out any real punishment. At the very least, I hope the kiddy court makes each of the parents pay for the damages and I'm talking about the victims recieving FIVE times the amount of damages.
chinaman

Lancaster, OH

#20 Jan 9, 2013
probably same kids running around smashing our mail boxes i swear if im awake when when my mail box is hit again i will put a bullet threw the back glass of your truck i dont work just to replace my mailbox every 2 weeks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christmas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Santa Claus still be fat? 35 min Maniac Stopper 2
MISSING: 14 y.o. from Detroit with depression 1 hr reality is a crutch 1
Rapper Master P makes Christmas bright for murd... (Dec '13) 2 hr Esther 2
Jesus Steals Christmas Back From Satan 3 hr Who 6
Teen wins first ever Damascus in Lights contest 3 hr Beautiful 2
Group gets grant to beautify Lansford 4 hr Iggy 9
'Those who live in love live in God': Watch as ... 5 hr Gremlin 6
More from around the web