Records show Wozniak money troubles l...

Records show Wozniak money troubles long before Hobbit Travel s...

There are 163 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 14, 2010, titled Records show Wozniak money troubles long before Hobbit Travel s.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Hobbit Travel closed its doors just before Christmas, but owner George Wozniak appeared to be facing financial difficulty long before he shut down the well-known travel agency.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
The Hard Truth

Northome, MN

#2 Jan 15, 2010
How many of these guys are out there? And they all seem the same: arrogant, selfish, and unrepentant.
The Real Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jan 15, 2010
I happen to know George and his family. George is one of the nicest and most giving people that I know. He has gone out of his way many, many times to give help to people in need. I pray that he and his family are able to bounce back from this situation and that all those who have been assisted by George in the past remember it right now.

Since: Sep 08

Lakeville, MN

#5 Jan 15, 2010
The Real Truth wrote:
I happen to know George and his family. George is one of the nicest and most giving people that I know. He has gone out of his way many, many times to give help to people in need. I pray that he and his family are able to bounce back from this situation and that all those who have been assisted by George in the past remember it right now.
if he is one of the nicest people you know i would hate to hear about your other friends, this guy is a slimeball swindler and nothing more..
ilk

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jan 15, 2010
Trailer Trash wrote:
I'll never understand white people
Who cares?
R U KIDDING

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jan 15, 2010
The Real Truth wrote:
Get a clue!! Of course he went out of his way to help others before, he was paying for it with his fake money. If he's such a great guy, why is he hiding and why did he screw people out of their dream vacation? I hope this man rots in prison!
Observer

Dallas, TX

#8 Jan 15, 2010
Let's see: one person who knows Wozniak personally says he is a decent man. Then there are other posters who know only what they read in the article and they are convinced he is a dirtbag.

Gee, I wonder who is right?
St Paul Girl

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jan 15, 2010
The Real Truth wrote:
Yep, that's they same thing Tom Petter's friends were saying about him.
learn English

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jan 15, 2010
First off, to understand, you have to be bright enough to comprehend and understand the English language when spoken to you, that for starters would help.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Jan 15, 2010
Since the advent of online travel arrangements, travel agencies like Hobbit are getting a small fraction of the business they used to.

Mr. Wozniak has been fighting a losing battle for years and it seems that he just didn't want to admit his business model was obsolete. I doubt if they'll be back anymore than the buggywhip makers came back.

Since: Sep 08

Lakeville, MN

#12 Jan 15, 2010
Observer wrote:
Let's see: one person who knows Wozniak personally says he is a decent man. Then there are other posters who know only what they read in the article and they are convinced he is a dirtbag.
Gee, I wonder who is right?
this same person who knows George \, lives next door to tiger woods, is a friend or royce whites family, and is a brother in law to denny hecker, nort to mention his cousin jumped from the nmarion st. bridge last saturday
MINNESOTA NICE

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Jan 15, 2010
Let me try to understand this...... a guy starts and runs a successful company for 40+ years,(longer than some of you have been alive) he employs many people over the years, must have paid them and his bills along the way and when he hits the most difficult time of his life/business life.......... and he's a POS? WOW !!! Minnesota Nice my A**
learn English

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jan 15, 2010
Trailer Trash wrote:
I'll never understand white people
Sorry, this comment was meant for you, Trailer Trash
First off, to understand, you have to be bright enough to comprehend and understand the English language when spoken to you, that for starters would help.
Beth

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jan 15, 2010
You know somtimes Satan, comes as a man of peace.

“Wher's dem turkey necks?”

Since: Dec 08

Palm Desert, CA

#16 Jan 15, 2010
MINNESOTA NICE wrote:
Let me try to understand this...... a guy starts and runs a successful company for 40+ years,(longer than some of you have been alive) he employs many people over the years, must have paid them and his bills along the way and when he hits the most difficult time of his life/business life.......... and he's a POS? WOW !!! Minnesota Nice my ****
All that is wonderful..........in a fairy tale.

But when you stretch the dollar to the breaking point by greed and excesses, instead of properly managing your businesses, this is the end result.
85% of all bankruptcies are caused by poor management of the business. Classic case here. Finally when you knowingly take money from someone and then deliberately do not fulfill your agreement, that is criminal fraud.
Book'em Dano!!
Da Crusher_RIP

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jan 15, 2010
Your point is well taken but I don't believe it was a fairy tale for all those years. employees did not cash their payrolls checks and get monopoly money...
This case might be about greed and excesses but my point is he paid a lot of people,banks/interest and suppliers for many years, if he failed as of late so be it but what about the other 35 years? I guess you are only as good as your last bank statement. You can fill the a stadium with people who deliberately do not fulfill agreements. And we still do business with many of those people everyday. its time to put down the stones.
St Paul Girl

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Jan 15, 2010
Okay, I'm a number gal- so answer me this McFly:

How could George Wozniak and Mary Ann Wozniak receive a $3,800,000.00 mortgage on the Edgcumbe mansion a mere 60 days prior to closing Hobbit Travel. We can only assume that they have substantial "other income" supporting this expense. Their monthly payment on this loan is over $22,000. That's a lot of french fries.

More importantly-how could Wells Fargo borrow nearly 4 million dollars to George Wozniak for this property. For gawds sake- the property taxes weren't current- FLAG ONE.

A property tax lien was filed on this house in 07: FLAG TWO.

Potentially an asset listed on his financial sheet (the Colorado Condo) was in foreclosure. FLAG THREE

With a Super Jumbo Mortgage of 3.8 Million-Wells Fargo would need (should have) in accordance of standard loan practices a minimum of a 80/20 LTV. If so, that means the Edgcumbe property should have appraised for at a minimum of 4 MILLION 750,000.00. FLAG FOUR. What's the flag you ask? People aren't paying 5 MILLION to live in St. Paul. Yes, this is the City I love but County records indicate no matter how sweet our City is-so far only one person has plopped down significant change to live here-and George is no Garrison
Tom

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Jan 15, 2010
and he's a POS? WOW !!! Minnesota Nice my ****

Keep in mind that this Minnesota Nice BS is really more about the passive agressive nature of Minnesotans.
It isn't about being nice or better than people elsewhere. It is all about putting a false front in politeness over the top of a judgemental and controlling, core, topped off with false humility.
croatian1

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jan 15, 2010
I just find it interesting that both he and Denny Hecker own condos in Snowmass, CO. That is the condo that Denny has been hiding in assets, now this guy has one there too. I guess birds of a feather flock together....

“Wher's dem turkey necks?”

Since: Dec 08

Palm Desert, CA

#21 Jan 15, 2010
Da Crusher_RIP wrote:
Your point is well taken but I don't believe it was a fairy tale for all those years. employees did not cash their payrolls checks and get monopoly money...
This case might be about greed and excesses but my point is he paid a lot of people,banks/interest and suppliers for many years, if he failed as of late so be it but what about the other 35 years? I guess you are only as good as your last bank statement. You can fill the a stadium with people who deliberately do not fulfill agreements. And we still do business with many of those people everyday. its time to put down the stones.
And this fairy tale came to a crashing demise as our hero took money from common everyday folks with apparently no intent on following through to pay the various cruise ships or airlines, etc., for those vacations many had looked forward to.
So in the end our Prince in shining armor turned out to be an ugly troll, didn't he, and the shining armor was really painted over rust metal from a scrap yard..
Note: Neither myself or my family or anyone I knew lost money or booked with Hobbit Travel.
Mary Allen

United States

#22 Jan 15, 2010
yeah I love it when the scumbags get caught. I don't feel one bit bad for the employees either as they had a real attitude about being better than everyone when I had an occassion to meet some of them. The money is probably with Tom Petters. Enough said on that. It is bigger than a gambling problem. The money is gone, and George is probably in Aruba. Or somewhere else warm. Going by another name. My bet is we have seen the last of him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christmas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News I was jilted for Tori Spelling (May '06) Jul 28 StarMoss 17
News Santa and Mrs. Claus make annual float trip thr... (Dec '09) Jul 24 C Brown 3
News Home Improvement (Jun '12) Jul 13 ellataylor 25
News JUMBO and the return of the elephants (Dec '08) Jul 4 Roshini 13
News Rapper Master P makes Christmas bright for murd... (Dec '13) Jul 2 rebel111 4
News Pancho Claus: A Tex-Mex Santa from the South Pole (Dec '13) Jun '15 Santafarts 12
News Capitola condo residents steamed by loss of heat (Dec '08) Jun '15 Megheede 22
More from around the web