2 killings draw life sentence

A man pleaded guilty on Wednesday to the Christmas Day slashing murders of a mother and her 4-year-old daughter in 2004 and was sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Betty

Columbia, MO

#1 Jan 20, 2006
It's about time a murder takes responsibilaty for there Crime.
you dont need to know

Fort Smith, AR

#4 Feb 28, 2006
I think that seence he did do the killings that he should be killed himself. any person who perpusily kill some should be killed as a sentence.
blah

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Mar 18, 2006
???
OPUD

El Segundo, CA

#8 Jun 12, 2006
duh
Lied and Decieved

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Nov 22, 2006
So much for always trusting the good guys. I personaly knew Don Hollis and he was one of those guys that just seemed perfect. He never drank or did drugs, hell he didn't even smoke cigarettes. But what threw him over the edge was passion of love and obsession... Well I guess the saying is true, guys always want what they can't have, which in his case was Amanda Johnson. I think about what happened every day and even now that christmas is coming I keep thinking that Amanda and her Baby girl (Alisa) won't be celebrating it this year, again. What happened to them was sick and inhumane.... Don, I used to call him Spiderman, he was like a role model for me but I was fooled, we were all fooled.
Rest in Peace, Amanda and Alisa. We will miss you.
Lied and Decieved

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Nov 22, 2006
blah wrote:
???
I guess your stunned too huh?
dick

India

#11 Apr 18, 2007
if u kill someone u should get a life sentence
Confused

Paramount, CA

#12 Feb 25, 2008
I was extremely close to Don ... we were all stunned and confused by this crime. Amanda didn't deserve what happened to her ... but woman out there be aware of the consequences for your actions. Using men for money and playing on their emotions for you isn't the way to go!!!!
Confused

Paramount, CA

#13 Feb 25, 2008
BTW, he did get a life sentence which was justice and terribly regrets his actions. Let it be!!! It's a very sad circumstance for everyone!!!

Since: Feb 08

Columbia, IL

#14 Feb 25, 2008
I'M SORRY NO MERCY WHEN IT COMES TO MURDERING A CHILD! NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS TO HIM, IT WILL NOT BE SEVERE ENOUGH!

Since: Jan 08

Orig-Red Bud- Many years in W.

#15 Feb 28, 2008
Confused wrote:
I was extremely close to Don ... we were all stunned and confused by this crime. Amanda didn't deserve what happened to her ... but woman out there be aware of the consequences for your actions. Using men for money and playing on their emotions for you isn't the way to go!!!!
I personally am glad that he got what he got. I worked with Amanda and was great friends with her at the time of her death. I had Alyssa in my class and saw her learn and grow. What a wonderful and loving child she was. I have never in my life been so upset to get the news- and ON CHRISTMAS to boot. She didnt deserve this no matter what she did to this man. There is NO EXCUSE for murder. If he was a good person.. that is great... but the fact STILL remains that he murdered 2 YOUNG people and then HID the body of Alyssa and fled. I do not have any sympathy for him. I do however feel so much pain for the family. I dont know if you have ever been to a child's funeral before but it is the worst thing to have to go through. Especially with having been so close to them. My sympathy goes out to the family- and Hollis basically got off easy if you ask me. If you kill someone in COLD BLOOD.. you also should die. However only my opinion...

RIP Amanda and Alyssa
nicole

Columbia, IL

#16 Jul 20, 2008
first of all confused there is never a good reason for murder even if she was doing that to him. second what ddi alyssa do to deserve that. i personally knew amanda and alyssa from working with them and they were both very loving peopl. and don hollis should get killed in prison thats what he deserves.
concerned

Columbia, IL

#17 Jul 20, 2008
this story has always bothered me. my granddaughter was her age when the murder took place. so it kinda hit us with the meer thought of such a tragedy. we didn't know the family personally but went to the funeral since we really felt horrible for the family. that was the hardest funeral i had to walk through. Hollis is a scum bag no matter what way you look at it. he should fel bad, and i was always upset the death penalty wasn't sought for. when a prisnor gets word of why he is really thier and what he did they will take care of him. It takes a special kind of sicko to slit the throat of a young child like that. so for those of you defending this bastardmaybe you should have went to that funeral and seen that sweet little child like that. after seeing her in the small casket next to her mother you will have no kind feelings for him at all. i heard the father of the child is still emotionally disconnected to a certain level. god bless the families of the victoms here and you are still in the prayers of our family. they have not been forgotton!!!
yeah

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Jul 21, 2008
Well I do know Larry(the childs father) and I'm sure he is still a little "disconnected". I mean, wouldn't you be?? I don't think I would EVER get over something like that. I couldn't bring myself to go to the funeral because there is no way I could have seen his baby in a coffin. I remember that I saw Larry in Walmart a few days after it happened and he looked HORRIBLE and I asked him what was wrong and he told me and my heart just sank. I gave him a hug for like 5 minutes and I couldn't let go. I hope that bastard that did this gets raped and beatin in jail everyday for the rest of his miserable life! I hope he gets what is coming to him and that he prays everyday that he would have gotten the death penalty just so the torture would stop. Yes I know that sounds a little harsh but when I think about what that sick SOB has done then I still don't think that would be enough!
co worker

Columbia, IL

#19 Jul 21, 2008
I worked with larry for a couple years. and this crushed me and my family. knowing larry and Alyssa made it tuff for usto imagine what it would be like to lose a child like this. I don't want to discount what happened to amanda at all. but in todays world, murder happens all the time and we almost become numb of it. we went to the funeral and could not help but break down and cry. i gave larry the biggest hug i could and still don't know what to say about it. i agree losing one of my kids is my worst fear, as is any parents. The only thing that can help move on with life is kowing the baby and her mom walked into Gods arms together. And will always be together in heaven. We always wanted to go to the cemetary and put down some flowers but never get out that way. It was a terrible tragedy that our communities will never forget.

I understand hollis family was close to amandas family and that had to cut deep into those relationships.

sad sad story
threethirteen

Collinsville, IL

#21 Jul 21, 2008
threethirteen wrote:
<quoted text>Whether you like it or not, i agree with you!The lousy son of a bitch that killed my niece, 2 more people & a baby, should have been sentenced to death. An eye for an eye.
Not sure why this isnt posting!
Daughter of Don Hollis

Saint Peters, MO

#22 Dec 22, 2008
if this story bothered you when you first heard about it, imagine if the murderer was your own father!
finding out that my dad killed a 24 year old mother and her 4 year old daughter, some christmas present for me.
yes, what my dad did was horrible and he deserves to be in jail, but what most of you don't know is that sometime before the murders he was in a bad car accident and ever since then had been having black outs. doctors think this is what happened to him on christmas.
i bet a million dollars not ONE of you people stopped to think about how this could have effected Don's family! how do you think we feel? this didn't just effect amanda and alyssa's family, this effected my whole family as well!!!
every day of my life i wish that my dad would have killed me and not alyssa.
my dad deserves to be in jail, yes he sure does. but he certainly doesn't deserve to get "raped and beatin" and my dad is far from a "sick SOB"
my dad was a loving, whole hearted man. he loved my brother and i with all of his heart and would have given the world for us.
so please, all i ask is that the next time you read about something like this...stop and think about how the murderers family feels, not just the victims.
Daughter of Don Hollis

Saint Peters, MO

#23 Dec 22, 2008
threethirteen wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure why this isnt posting!
do you have any idea what you are talking about? what baby did he kill? he killed amanda and alyssa, thats it!
wondering

Fredericktown, MO

#24 Dec 22, 2008
i was wondering if your dad worked for allen foods back in the early 80's. seems i may have worked with him years ago.
Wondering two

Columbia, IL

#25 Dec 22, 2008
Is Don the brother of Sandy that used to live on the bluffs? The same one that had a baby with Barb while she was in high school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christmas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do Muslims celebrate Christmas? 1 hr Just a guy 4
Sierra Leone bans Christmas parties amid Ebola 2 hr dirtypeople 1
Group gets grant to beautify Lansford 4 hr you need a bulldozer 1
A Russian senator has advised women to start us... 6 hr desperate ruskis 1
Christmas says God is with us 7 hr SHANK A PEG 1
Co-workers help burglary victim replace Christm... 7 hr oh-please 1
Business Highlights 8 hr In Obama Gays Trust 2
More from around the web