2/10/10: Year of the tiger

2/10/10: Year of the tiger

There are 3 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Feb 12, 2010, titled 2/10/10: Year of the tiger. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Maya Alvarado, 17, left, Chinese instructor Xing Zheng and Eiden Rische-Bloom prepare for Chinese New Year celebrations today and Wednesday at Alma d Arte.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

Paul Weinbaum

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Feb 14, 2010
From Las Cruces, New Mexico, where the City and County governments restrict their cultural diversity activities to the singular Christian thought.

While recognizing 'Year of the Tiger' activities at NMSU, the City has once again ignored the cultural diversity of the city, by collusion and forethought, to relegate any sponsorship of such enlightenment beyond that of the restrictive self-serving status quo, to the local university.

The City must offer up a concerted sigh of relief whenever the university takes over the responsibilities of inclusion and not exclusion of minority citizens, students, and visitors.
EL POLITICO - New Mexico

United States

#2 Feb 14, 2010
Mr. Weinbaun (Whinbum)- there you go again! showing your distain for Christinity and make unfounded comments about the local diversity of culture.

We have a very prominent Jewish community, we have a rich Black culture with Black men and women who have impacted our community...Johnson Park. We have the Univeristy with it's diverse student population and lest we forgot that Hispanics are the majority population and we have left our significant historical mark.

Mr.Weinbaun, you are so far of the mark and the Courts have proved you wrong. If you are in need to be in a community (country) where Christians are not in control, I would suggest you move to Cuba, China, Russia,etc. where you may find peace of mind to know that this governments control religious expression.

Whether or not you believe in the "judgment" most of us Christians know that you will be "judged."

I might also remind you that our Forefathers layed the religious foundation of this country which provided "freedom of speech" as an important part of Republic form of government. This right is afforded individuals like yourself who have such opposing views of the very foundations of this "Nation, under God..." As for me and my family,we will continue to "In God We Trust."

One last thought. Do you know the cost to us taxpayers if city government recoginzed every religions holidays and other cultural celebrations? Are you will to pay for them with more tax increase?

I'm not....we are already over taxed and burden with some ridiculous laws which already have eroded our liberties and freedoms.
Paul Weinbaum

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Feb 14, 2010
EL POLITICO - New Mexico wrote:
Mr. Weinbaun (Whinbum)- there you go again! showing your distain for Christinity and make unfounded comments about the local diversity of culture.
We have a very prominent Jewish community, we have a rich Black culture with Black men and women who have impacted our community...Johnson Park. We have the Univeristy with it's diverse student population and lest we forgot that Hispanics are the majority population and we have left our significant historical mark.
Mr.Weinbaun, you are so far of the mark and the Courts have proved you wrong. If you are in need to be in a community (country) where Christians are not in control, I would suggest you move to Cuba, China, Russia,etc. where you may find peace of mind to know that this governments control religious expression.
Whether or not you believe in the "judgment" most of us Christians know that you will be "judged."
I might also remind you that our Forefathers layed the religious foundation of this country which provided "freedom of speech" as an important part of Republic form of government. This right is afforded individuals like yourself who have such opposing views of the very foundations of this "Nation, under God..." As for me and my family,we will continue to "In God We Trust."
One last thought. Do you know the cost to us taxpayers if city government recoginzed every religions holidays and other cultural celebrations? Are you will to pay for them with more tax increase?
I'm not....we are already over taxed and burden with some ridiculous laws which already have eroded our liberties and freedoms.
"religious foundation of this country that provided 'Freedom of Speech...'" Just how confused are you?

Well, anonymous person, I am sorry I have rattled your Christian hegemony cage. I guess it is OK for the City and State to tax all citizens and only recognize a particular group and reward them for their proselytizing efforts. You can't lay your religious guilt on me, although you may want to. You have no right to judge others with the rules and ideas of your religious teachings. You present a picture of total confusion and attempt to justify it by calling me names. You have left out all the diverse members of our society that make up this community. If you weren't afraid you would use your name.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chinese New Year Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mosque in Bangsar organises Chinese New Year op... Feb '17 Marie-Luise_J 1
News 5 great ways to celebrate Chinese New Year (Feb '16) Feb '16 JANE 1
News Oregon Beer News, 02/08/2016 (Feb '16) Feb '16 GENIE 1
News Dancing for good luck in the Lunar New Year (Feb '16) Feb '16 EMMALE 1
News Year of the Sheep: Celebrating the Chinese New ... (Feb '15) Mar '15 gab 3
News Elderly residents receive red packets ahead of ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Fergus seniors ce... 1
News Chinese New Year cheer for Chong Pang senior ci... (Mar '15) Mar '15 GreenParty no sup... 1
More from around the web