In Lebanon, signups scheduled for Operation Santa

Cynthia Smith knows that times are especially tough this year for families in the Lebanon Valley, and with Christmas just a couple of months away, she anticipates many will need all the help they can get. Read more
kathy Lebanon

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

#1 Oct 1, 2009
I think it is great that we have caring people that have the Christmas spirt. I feel no child should go with out Christmas. But don't forget the holiday is about Jesus. Every should have a wonderful Christmas.
Vanity Fair

Lebanon, PA

#2 Oct 2, 2009
Lupe is a single mother who moved to lebanon looking for a better life for her five children. Unfortunately, she recently lost her job because her employer asked her to come to work on time. Making things even tougher is that the four fathers of four of her children are incarcerated and don't pay any child support. The fifth father was shot and killed outside of the Bell Building.

Lupe is worried that between the hefty truancy fines she pays and the increase in security Kmart employs during the Holiday Season that things will be grim this Christmas. "For the past five years Operation Santa has been a big help" she sighs.
Team Kate

Oakland Mills, PA

#3 Oct 2, 2009
That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time! It is also the reason that I will never donate a dime to that organization.
Vanity Fair wrote:
Lupe is a single mother who moved to lebanon looking for a better life for her five children. Unfortunately, she recently lost her job because her employer asked her to come to work on time. Making things even tougher is that the four fathers of four of her children are incarcerated and don't pay any child support. The fifth father was shot and killed outside of the Bell Building.
Lupe is worried that between the hefty truancy fines she pays and the increase in security Kmart employs during the Holiday Season that things will be grim this Christmas. "For the past five years Operation Santa has been a big help" she sighs.
Say No to Op Santa

Lititz, PA

#4 Oct 2, 2009
I also refuse to participate in Op Santa. Go through the Daily News archives and you will find a front page picture from a few years ago. The mother had a full length leather jacket and all kinds of gold jewelry. Her son was wearing a brand new NFL Starter jacket. They were pushing carts full of presents and other goodies that were given to them because they were "needy".
Annoyed

Myerstown, PA

#5 Sep 28, 2012
I'm sorry but its people like Lupe that make it look bad for the rest of us who actually need the help. I am a single mom with 3 kids I work a full time and a part time job, my kids wear clearance clothes or yard sale clothes. I find it ridiculous that you want people to feel bad for this lady I mean really read what you put, she has how many baby daddys and they are all in prison and she lost her job because she couldn't be there on time. Well guess what I get up at 6am every morning and dont go to bed until after 12 at night just so I can get everything done in a day that needs to be done.
letmetellyou

Bellevue, WA

#6 Oct 3, 2012
thats a joke miss you shoulda got fixed 3 kids ago and i cant stand ppl that want all the help in the world however lack when it comes to doing the grown up thing like being on time for work help yourSELF IF U WANA LAY ON UR BACK AND HAVE KIDS THEN BUST UR ASS TO PROVIDE FOR EM GROW UP I THINK If ppl wana get free xmas stuff they should have to show paystubs showing they are trying to help themselfs merry xmas and god be wit u
dont blame

Lebanon, PA

#8 Dec 19, 2012
It's kinda mean that people judge others don't knowing whats going on in the background of everybody else life, because only the person knows. We all take bad decisions in this life and don't deserve to be judged for that. That the lady should be more responsible, of course she has to be responsible with her work being on time if she doesn't have ride try to get some friend from the work that give a ride to the work, if don't have babysitter in the welfare there is a list of good ones and a program that help with it. Anyway, i know that there are families that for x or y reason will not be able to by their kids presents for Christmas this program is helpful (even Christmas is about the celebration of Jesus birth not Santa's gifting kids).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holidays Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News de Blasio goes half-Irish for St. Patrick's Day Fri Maude 30
News Iranian President Rouhani trumps the Supreme Le... Fri mike tirico 3
News Year of the Sheep: Celebrating the Chinese New ... Fri gab 3
News Home Improvement (Jun '12) Thu homeremodeling10 21
News Join the festivities for International Women's Day Thu MAD 1
News Chad Micah Harcus (Aug '07) Mar 26 christina 19
News Why Islam Needs a Reformation Mar 25 tom_ 10
More from around the web