Mother and child are killed in hit-an...

Mother and child are killed in hit-and-run crash in Carson

There are 74 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Jan 3, 2008, titled Mother and child are killed in hit-and-run crash in Carson. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Sheriff's deputies hunted Wednesday for a hit-and-run motorist who plowed through a red light in Carson, killing a mother and her 4-year-old son and critically injuring his twin brother and their father.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

Tyler Hoffman

Monterey Park, CA

#48 Jan 3, 2008
Mr. Mikasa, i can't believe this has happened. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, lucas, and the rest of your family. I hope that you are able to pull through all of this and see the silver lining that there is still a lot to live for and that you will still always have lucas. You have been one of my favorite teachers and i hope that everything turns out alright.
Lily

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#49 Jan 3, 2008
I am completely shocked about this. I knew Midi when we went to nursing school together. I knew her when she was pregnant. I still remember visiting her after her delivery of Lucas and Nathan. My heart is grief-strickened and I hope the family knows that I will praying for them. Midi, I will miss you very much. This world is missing your beautiful smile...
Claire Nguyen

Tustin, CA

#50 Jan 3, 2008
May God bless the Mikasa family.<3
I hope you, your son, your family and friends will pull through. Come back to school with your jokes and laughs and keep a smile on =)
(to everyone else: stop with the racist comments. it's not like that'll do you or anyone else any good)
Clayton Wong

Tracy, CA

#51 Jan 3, 2008
I can't find words for how I feel about this situation. As of most people, my heart goes out to you and Lucas. Unfortunately, all that we can really do is hope that you get better, and hope that whoever did this turns himself in. I really, really, hope you can make it back before the year ends, since I look forward to being in your class everyday. Honestly, I can't think of any other teacher who I would look forward to teaching me at 7 in the morning.

For those who blame this tragedy on a certain race/class/ANYTHING-that's-irr elevant-to-what-happened, shame on you. Lives were lost, and people are heartbroken, and all that you can see from this is an excuse to use racial slurs against the person responsible. It doesn't matter if they're white, black, mexican, asian, poor, or rich. The point is that two beloved members of the community are lost, and another two are in critical condition at the hospital, and you sicken everyone reading through this, by thinking that race or class has anything to do with this.

That said, Mr. Mikasa, please get better soon. We're all supporting you, and we know that you'll get through this.
Ratzan

United States

#52 Jan 3, 2008
Another fine hispanic living among us. Chances are he's an ILLEGAL. Even if he's not, it shows the type of caring hispanics have for others in their adopted country. ILLEGALS are killing Americans across the country with automobiles most of them have no drivers license or insurance. How long do we intend to put up with it. God BLESS this family, may the driver roast in hell
jannypan

Sioux City, IA

#53 Jan 4, 2008
Just want to say how sad to hear of this tragic situaton. My heart goes out to this family and I pray God will help them endure this horrible loss.
David DOY

United States

#54 Jan 4, 2008
this is messed up -.-! Hope mikasa and lucas recovers =/
Kevin

United States

#55 Jan 4, 2008
I remember being in Mr. Mikasa's class and he would show some of his home videos of his twins and his wife, and watching him smile and light up every time he saw his family made me realize how much they meant to him. My heart goes out for him and his family.
Janny Li

Calabasas, CA

#56 Jan 4, 2008
I am reposting a comment from my friend and classmate, Matt Ferguson:

Please stop with the racist comments. I beg you all. I know the family really well and i know for a fact that these posts, if read by Mark, would anger him as much if not more than the drivers actions that night. The most important thing he taught me as a teacher and something that he believed in dearly was to love like jesus. To love everybody unconditionally. And it is times like these that occur to test us all. Are we going to do the easy thing and jump on the band wagon and verbally bash the other driver from our comfy couches? Or do what jesus would do and what a man is called to do, the hard thing and forgive this man? Trust me, it is harder for me than anyone of you who have posted before me or will after me. I still look up to Mark as a father and as an example of what i want my life/family to become someday. To see that destroyed is angering on a level i cannot begin to describe. But the reality is I have to forgive him, i don't have to forget and move on immediately, but i do have to forgive him, love him and pray for him. He alone is accountable. Please realize that the fault weighs no bearing on what race he is, where he grew up, who is parents are, what country he is from. The simple truth is that he screwed up. We all do. He ran a red light and all the other details fade away. They are irrelevant. So DO NOT blame this on him being an illegal alien or what particular race he is. 1) No one knows this for fact (if you do you need to be speaking with authorities) and 2) HE IS HUMAN!!! If this were a white, asian, black, mexican, indian, european... regardless of what ethnicity, the stereotypical comments for that race would be here as well. If you don't believe in doing what Jesus would do, then how about considering doing what Mark would do? Every class he's ever taught has been extremely mixed. Asian, Black, White, Hispanic, Indian... etc. But he always sees through the race. He holds the students accountable for their own actions. Let us do the same here.

Like Matt said, the racist comments need to stop. He didn't do this because he was Mexican. We shouldn't attack a race because of one individual. Mark Mikasa would not have been proud, let alone comforted by the racist comments.

Stop. Stop. Stop.

And just pray for Mr. Mikasa
Janny Li

Calabasas, CA

#57 Jan 4, 2008
Matt Ferguson wrote:
Please stop with the racist comments. I beg you all. I know the family really well and i know for a fact that these posts, if read by Mark, would anger him as much if not more than the drivers actions that night. The most important thing he taught me as a teacher and something that he believed in dearly was to love like jesus. To love everybody unconditionally. And it is times like these that occur to test us all. Are we going to do the easy thing and jump on the band wagon and verbally bash the other driver from our comfy couches? Or do what jesus would do and what a man is called to do, the hard thing and forgive this man? Trust me, it is harder for me than anyone of you who have posted before me or will after me. I still look up to Mark as a father and as an example of what i want my life/family to become someday. To see that destroyed is angering on a level i cannot begin to describe. But the reality is I have to forgive him, i don't have to forget and move on immediately, but i do have to forgive him, love him and pray for him. He alone is accountable. Please realize that the fault weighs no bearing on what race he is, where he grew up, who is parents are, what country he is from. The simple truth is that he screwed up. We all do. He ran a red light and all the other details fade away. They are irrelevant. So DO NOT blame this on him being an illegal alien or what particular race he is. 1) No one knows this for fact (if you do you need to be speaking with authorities) and 2) HE IS HUMAN!!! If this were a white, asian, black, mexican, indian, european... regardless of what ethnicity, the stereotypical comments for that race would be here as well. If you don't believe in doing what Jesus would do, then how about considering doing what Mark would do? Every class he's ever taught has been extremely mixed. Asian, Black, White, Hispanic, Indian... etc. But he always sees through the race. He holds the students accountable for their own actions. Let us do the same here.
Thank you Matt. Thank you for saying what needs to be said.
Bubbles

Aliso Viejo, CA

#58 Jan 4, 2008
Janny Li wrote:
I am reposting a comment from my friend and classmate, Matt Ferguson:
Like Matt said, the racist comments need to stop. He didn't do this because he was Mexican. We shouldn't attack a race because of one individual. Mark Mikasa would not have been proud, let alone comforted by the racist comments.
Stop. Stop. Stop.
And just pray for Mr. Mikasa
Mexicans are not a race. So don't get too upset, OK?
Tommy Du

United States

#59 Jan 4, 2008
Mr.Mikasa was a great teacher and a wonderful person. I hope he and his family can recover from this tragedy, my heart goes out to him.
Samantha Wong

Alhambra, CA

#60 Jan 4, 2008
My prayers go out to you and Lucas. I can't believe it. Please get better soon.
THE CABLE GUY

Los Angeles, CA

#61 Jan 4, 2008
ITS SAD 4 WHAT HAPPEN TO THIS FAMILY BUT WHY TALK SHIT TO US MEXICANS ACCIDENTS HAPPEN N JUST HAVE TO LET AUTHORITIES TAKE CARE OF IT I HOPE THIS ACCIDENT THAT HAPPENED GETS CLEARED BY CATCHING CARLOS PAZ N TAKE HIM TO JUSTICE CAUSE NOBODY DESERVES TO DIE LIKE THAT IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT RACE IT IS
Christinee

Monterey Park, CA

#62 Jan 4, 2008
Mr Mikasa,
you are a wonderful person
& i know you'll get through this
you and Lucas will be in my prayers
Geovanni P

La Puente, CA

#63 Jan 4, 2008
i will pray for u Mr.Mikasa and your son everyday. may your wife and child help you heel from this. I'm sure they are watching over you. I remember 5th period when you use to make the whole class laugh we all loved your class. My condolences go to you. My hand is always extended to you no matter what. don't give it. i believe i speak for all of us when i say, we are here to help you in any way to get through this rough time. Like Dr.Murphy use to say, "we are a family" and in cases like this, family is here to help.
Bubbles

Aliso Viejo, CA

#64 Jan 4, 2008
THE CABLE GUY wrote:
ITS SAD 4 WHAT HAPPEN TO THIS FAMILY BUT WHY TALK SHIT TO US MEXICANS ACCIDENTS HAPPEN N JUST HAVE TO LET AUTHORITIES TAKE CARE OF IT I HOPE THIS ACCIDENT THAT HAPPENED GETS CLEARED BY CATCHING CARLOS PAZ N TAKE HIM TO JUSTICE CAUSE NOBODY DESERVES TO DIE LIKE THAT IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT RACE IT IS
Then behave accordingly. Obey the laws, stop stealing, spraying graffiti, realize that driving is a privilege and not a right, and this country would be a better place to live in. This goes for everyone, but I see more and more of these shenanigans being caused by guess who? I was almost run off Hwy 101 north of Oxnard years ago by a drunken guess who?, whose car later flew off the road onto the rocks and the tide was coming in. My friend was rear ended by a guess who? woman who didn't have a license or insurance. What's up with that?
Anh Nguyen

Altadena, CA

#65 Jan 4, 2008
Mikasa was my favorite teacher. He joked around alot and hes such a good teacher. i hope he and his son will recover fast
Jason

Riverside, CA

#66 Jan 5, 2008
Can we all be civilized human beings and stop with the racist comments. One day ark Mikasa, my former math teacher will read this. Honestly how can he be happy seeing all these irrelevant subjects thrown up into the air. Bubbles are you any better of a human being by discriminating? If you really want to do something about this, why not take this up to the board of immigration and have a talk with them. All of my condolences towards the Mikasa family, get well soon Mr. Mikasa.
GOD BLESS THIS FAMILY

Los Angeles, CA

#67 Jan 5, 2008
This is a devastating news, Mr. Mikasa was a great teacher. I remember him eating cheerios all the time, during Math class at Roosevelt High School, and calling his ceramic animal "Fufarito". It is very sad to know that half of his family is not with him, my condolences to all of the family. Nathan and Midi will always be missed. As of for the one that caused such atrocity like we say "What goes around comes around" ... not wishing nothing bad to anyone, but that's reality. Thus let us not judge "the book by its cover"... this person might look Mexican, but do we really know if he is or not? Not all immigrants are Mexicans. I know that this is not the time or place to be saying this, but let us respect each other, such that harsh comments are not necessary in this circumstances. I am not defending Mexicans; I would have done the same if another culture was being discriminated. Anyhow let's pray for this family and in memory of Nathan and Midi, as well as for the health of Mr. Mikasa and Lucas. God Bless this entire family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holidays Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Goodbye Media Patch. (Jan '14) 9 hr FL TAG 441 PZG 32
News Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the E... 11 hr Miller 24
News VFW urges peace officers to not let criticism d... 14 hr Silent Echo 2
News Celebrate Chanukah in Stoughton (Dec '12) 22 hr kundrot dionkie 232
News Photo of Marine's wedding prayer goes viral Thu Fredericka 2
News HalloweenExpress.com Releases its Top 10 Hallow... (Nov '08) Thu prettyperi 6
News Police Hunt For Motive In Deadly Memorial Day S... May 27 Big Johnson 4
More from around the web