Thousands to attend Tallapoosa possum drop

Dec 31, 2012 Full story: MyFoxAtlanta 32

Some west Georgia residents were set to bring in the New Year watching a stuffed possum fall from the sky.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Home In Georgia Now”

Since: Jul 07

The "City of Gold" in Georgia

#1 Jan 1, 2013
I had to explain this joke of a celebration to three of my coworkers yesterday and even got a text from another with a picture of the stupid possum. Tallapoosa has a much richer history to fall back on than the stupid moniker "Possum Snout". But oh hell no they still promote this crap only to reinforce making this city a laughing stock to thousands every year.
Joe dirt

Griffin, GA

#2 Jan 3, 2013
If you don't like it then don't come, this is how small town America celebrates and it's been a lot of fun for a lot of folks.

“Home In Georgia Now”

#3 Jan 3, 2013
Joe dirt wrote:
If you don't like it then don't come, this is how small town America celebrates and it's been a lot of fun for a lot of folks.
Rest assured, I DO NOT GO!
sam

Villa Rica, GA

#4 Jan 4, 2013
according to local people, 12 people showed up and one of them was drunk, 2 got arrested for selling pain killers.
Rockmartian

Cartersville, GA

#5 Jan 5, 2013
sam wrote:
according to local people, 12 people showed up and one of them was drunk, 2 got arrested for selling pain killers.
Damn why arrest the two doing community service?
bart simpson

Bowdon, GA

#6 Jan 6, 2013
I cant think of anything tallapoosa has to be proud about other than a possum.
Wondering

Tallapoosa, GA

#7 Jan 9, 2013
bart simpson wrote:
I cant think of anything tallapoosa has to be proud about other than a possum.
Lets see, Tallapoosa is a safe town with wonderful people that for the most part mind their own business and do not make fun of other places, with the exception of Alabama but even this is done in fun as most people that live in Tallapoosa have close friends and/or relatives from Alabama. The only Golf course in haralson county is in Tallapoosa. We have no gang activity, clean air industries that are safe places to work. traffic is usually great. Just to name a few of the many things that Tallapoosa has to be proud of.

“Home In Georgia Now”

#8 Jan 13, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
The only Golf course in haralson county is in Tallapoosa. We have no gang activity, clean air industries that are safe places to work. traffic is usually great. Just to name a few of the many things that Tallapoosa has to be proud of.
Big deal, there is a golf course. Whoop dee doo. How much money is that costing the tax payers?? As far as industries go, the amount of folks employeed in the industrial setting in Tallapoosa is a far cry from what it was and the drop off started long before the latest economic downturn. The industries that are still around do not employee a significant amount of people. Yeah traffic is fine considering there is little to no enforcement action taken against violators. Plus it is not like Tallapoosa is a vacation destination mecca of the Southeast. You can pretty much drive as you damn well please. Stop signs are a thing to stop at if you want to. Prohibited left turns are only prohibited if you elect for them to be. Driving on the right side of the roadway in a curve is only enforced if you want to do so. Tallapoosa is a fine town to come live out your golden years in and wait to die. There is nothing to keep our young folks here as far a jobs or entertainment. Unless you consider parking in Jacks parking lot and eating a hamburger as you watch the trains go by and the ambulance with their lights and siren on entertainment. It is sad to see how much this town has died over the past 10-20 years. So many folks used to work here that the town could support two grocery stores and the banks were really busy on pay days. Now look at it. So stop sugar coating it "wondering". Be factual with folks. Yes it is safe town overall as it relates to crime. But if you want a good paying job, do not expect it in Tallapoosa. If you want to see a movie, go to a good chain restaurant, go to a good bar, etc you will have to go elsewhere. I do not think Johnny's Bar meets the definition of "nightlife" for most folks!! One good thing too is the access to I-20 so you can actually get away faster on your journey.
Graduated

Villa Rica, GA

#9 Jan 13, 2013
John In North Carolina wrote:
I had to explain this joke of a celebration to three of my coworkers yesterday and even got a text from another with a picture of the stupid possum. Tallapoosa has a much richer history to fall back on than the stupid moniker "Possum Snout". But oh hell no they still promote this crap only to reinforce making this city a laughing stock to thousands every year.
I totally agree the whole production leaves much to be desired as a professionally executed event opossum or not. Tallapoosa has a much richer history to promote other than this event. Historic events that were firsts for the state of Georgia such as the "First Free Public School".
Roll Tide Man

Villa Rica, GA

#10 Jan 14, 2013
Me, my wife and 16 year old daughter drove from Tuscaloosa, Alabama to attend this event on New Years Eve meeting friends with 2 children near the same age in nearby Carroll Co.

My friend Richard's parents from Newnan, GA had came up for the New Year and also attended.

None of us had attended the event but Richard and his wife had read about it in I assume their local paper.

We met at the Tallapoosa exit off I-20 and the kids were excited as we saw the searchlights in the sky as we drove into town.

Arriving (9:45 ET) we looked for a parking spot and found one close by the search lights thinking the event would be nearby as there were no signs directing where to park. We oriented our group after a few minutes as to the direction of the event by watching other pedestrians travel.

Crossing the main railroad and highway we entered at the back of the stage area from a side street.

As we worked our way to the front of the stage we were disappointed to find that no seating available but a standing area only.

Richard's mother eventually was able to find a park bench facing the sidewalk to sit. I noticed other people had brought seats and set them up on the walkways.

The children being 13, 15 and 16 got a few dollars from us parents and left to explore.

We stood nearby the bench which was fairly close by the stage area and could barely see or understand the words spoken on the stage. The stage was made of raw lumber with a garage style tent on top. To the left and right large Tv's were placed and had ads running on them but would have been nice to have had the bands playing in order to see.

We stood as a couple of the bands played and announcements were made and soon found the children returning stating "there's nothing to do". We decided as a group to forfeit the park bench for a walk down the street and explore a little as adults also. The ladies found an antique shop to stop in as the men got a cup of coffee.

While waiting on the women and children to return we finally spotted what we assumed was the opossum (actually a ball of lights) hanging from a building behind the stage.

Soon after we waited with the ladies outside near the main entrance sign we had previously missed, impatient for the main event to start, the kids now restless.

As we watched our clocks, the announcer spoke as the time passed the midnight hour by 3 minutes before the countdown started despite the cry's of the crowd on the delay.

The fireworks display was a surprising finale in comparison and was quite well done although short.

We understood the event to be a "small town" themed event (after all it was supposed to drop an opossum) but all left disappointed after attending due to the lack of activities for the children and overall quality of the event.

I doubt we will return in the years to come.
wondering

Atlanta, GA

#11 Jan 14, 2013
<quoted text>Big deal, there is a golf course. Whoop dee doo. How much money is that costing the tax payers?? As far as industries go, the amount of folks employeed in the industrial setting in Tallapoosa is a far cry from what it was and the drop off started long before the latest economic downturn. The industries that are still around do not employee a significant amount of people. Yeah traffic is fine considering there is little to no enforcement action taken against violators. Plus it is not like Tallapoosa is a vacation destination mecca of the Southeast. You can pretty much drive as you damn well please. Stop signs are a thing to stop at if you want to. Prohibited left turns are only prohibited if you elect for them to be. Driving on the right side of the roadway in a curve is only enforced if you want to do so. Tallapoosa is a fine town to come live out your golden years in and wait to die. There is nothing to keep our young folks here as far a jobs or entertainment. Unless you consider parking in Jacks parking lot and eating a hamburger as you watch the trains go by and the ambulance with their lights and siren on entertainment. It is sad to see how much this town has died over the past 10-20 years. So many folks used to work here that the town could support two grocery stores and the banks were really busy on pay days. Now look at it. So stop sugar coating it "wondering". Be factual with folks. Yes it is safe town overall as it relates to crime. But if you want a good paying job, do not expect it in Tallapoosa. If you want to see a movie, go to a good chain restaurant, go to a good bar, etc you will have to go elsewhere. I do not think Johnny's Bar meets the definition of "nightlife" for most folks!! One good thing too is the access to I-20 so you can actually get away faster on your journey.
Well since I was answering a comment about nothing to be proud of I am pleased that you have added to my comments. I have always found plenty of exciting things to do in and around Tallapoosa. I would not live anywhere else. Good clean fun can be had by anyone and if you choose to live on the wild side this can be accomplished as well. I never intended for anyone to think that my hometown was Carrollton, Douglasville, Villa Rica, or any other mid to large town. It is what it is and it is my home. I would never dream of putting down wherever you live, but if you care about Tallapoosa do more than complain FIX IT.

As to the couple that visited the possum drop. Our town was originally named Possum Snout, thus the possum drop. We use a taxidermied possum provided by our world reknown taxidermist Bud Jones. We have many events some with seating some without. I would invite you to our town for the music that we have throughout the summer or just out of town every week a blugrass fesival occurs. Yes the things we do are small townish because we are a SMALL TOWN

“Home In Georgia Now”

#12 Jan 14, 2013
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Well since I was answering a comment about nothing to be proud of I am pleased that you have added to my comments. I have always found plenty of exciting things to do in and around Tallapoosa. I would not live anywhere else. Good clean fun can be had by anyone and if you choose to live on the wild side this can be accomplished as well. I never intended for anyone to think that my hometown was Carrollton, Douglasville, Villa Rica, or any other mid to large town. It is what it is and it is my home. I would never dream of putting down wherever you live, but if you care about Tallapoosa do more than complain FIX IT.
As to the couple that visited the possum drop. Our town was originally named Possum Snout, thus the possum drop. We use a taxidermied possum provided by our world reknown taxidermist Bud Jones. We have many events some with seating some without. I would invite you to our town for the music that we have throughout the summer or just out of town every week a blugrass fesival occurs. Yes the things we do are small townish because we are a SMALL TOWN
There is a difference in "Putting Something Down" and telling the truth about the situation.
wondering

Atlanta, GA

#13 Jan 14, 2013
<quoted text>There is a difference in "Putting Something Down" and telling the truth about the situation.
It is not telling the truth when you decide to make it up about the TPD not enforcing the law by not following traffic regulations. Do they follow the Andy Griffith approach at times, by all means, but it works here. You seemed to be most upset by not having a local bar to your liking. I would rather the drunks were in other places.

“Home In Georgia Now”

#14 Jan 14, 2013
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>[if you choose to live on the wild side][but if you care about Tallapoosa do more than complain FIX IT.]
First please explain how wanting to have a good meal at a restaurant or a good drink at a club/bar etc is "living on the wild side"!! As far as "fixing it" goes that is not responsiblity of the citizens. It is the responsibility of the folks we elect and have hired such as the wonderful City Manager, City Planner and Better Home Town Coordinator. Two of those positions can be done away with and the money used to hire a School Resource officer or two for the Police Department to place in the local school since according to a recent article by Lt. Coy they currently lack the "funding" to hire someone. Exactly why do we need a "City Planner"? What is he planning? The demise of the town because it is damn sure headed that way over the past few years. And "Better Home Town Coordinator"?? WTF duties meet that criteria? Again what does Tallapoosa offer to keep our young folks and their families here? Jobs?? No. Entertainment venues?? No. So what wonderful things are there to do for fun? Watch trains go by? Listen to the sirens (daily) of the ambulances? Watch the birds gather on the cell tower at behind City Hall? Then you can go to the mud hole of a lake they have at Helton Park off 78. So stop the BS with making it sound like Tallapoosa is a mecca to visit and live in. Is it historic? Yes it is beyond any doubt but the damn possum moniker is a joke.

“Home In Georgia Now”

#15 Jan 14, 2013
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not telling the truth when you decide to make it up about the TPD not enforcing the law by not following traffic regulations. Do they follow the Andy Griffith approach at times, by all means, but it works here. You seemed to be most upset by not having a local bar to your liking. I would rather the drunks were in other places.
First off I DO NOT DRINK. Never have and never will. And you are damn right I think the TPD should get off their azz and enforce traffic laws on a daily basis in an aggerssive and proactive manner.
wondering

Atlanta, GA

#17 Jan 14, 2013
I would not debate that we do not have a draw for the most interprising of our young people. I would take exception to your portrayal of the TPD. I work outside of Tallapoosa but I know most of the officers and yes we have some that could work harder and others who are a little over zealous but that is a problem in all departments across our country. I would never argue with you about the current city manager but we both know about absolute power. I do know that the middle and high school currently has an SRO hired by the Sherrif's Dept. I currently enjoy spending time with friends and family, watching my grandchildren grow up, working with recreation sports, golf, high school sports, church activities, and many other things. I enjoy our local eating establishments and occasionally will go twenty to thirty miles to eat in different places. From Tallapoosa a trips to Atlanta, Brimingham, and Chattanoga are very simple but I can return home to the safety of Tallapoosa. If you cannot find enough to do maybe you could open a bowling alley or some other venue, not a mud bog got one, for the young people to hang out. Just remember alcohol and drugs will ruin lives.
wondering

Atlanta, GA

#18 Jan 14, 2013
Sofa King Cool wrote:
Hey Hillbillies!
Question: Which is tastier, possum or raccoon?
Would not know, I have never had either. By the way Tallapoosa is not in the hills.
Topography Man

Villa Rica, GA

#20 Jan 16, 2013
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Would not know, I have never had either. By the way Tallapoosa is not in the hills.
Tallapoosa is located in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.

The range is mostly located in the United States but extends into southeastern Canada, forming a zone from 100 to 300 mi (160 to 480 km) wide, running from the island of Newfoundland 1,500 mi (2,400 km) southwestward to Central Alabama.
Roman

Villa Rica, GA

#21 Jan 16, 2013
Roll Tide Man wrote:
Me, my wife and 16 year old daughter drove from Tuscaloosa, Alabama to attend this event on New Years Eve meeting friends with 2 children near the same age in nearby Carroll Co.
My friend Richard's parents from Newnan, GA had came up for the New Year and also attended.
None of us had attended the event but Richard and his wife had read about it in I assume their local paper.
We met at the Tallapoosa exit off I-20 and the kids were excited as we saw the searchlights in the sky as we drove into town.
Arriving (9:45 ET) we looked for a parking spot and found one close by the search lights thinking the event would be nearby as there were no signs directing where to park. We oriented our group after a few minutes as to the direction of the event by watching other pedestrians travel.
Crossing the main railroad and highway we entered at the back of the stage area from a side street.
As we worked our way to the front of the stage we were disappointed to find that no seating available but a standing area only.
Richard's mother eventually was able to find a park bench facing the sidewalk to sit. I noticed other people had brought seats and set them up on the walkways.
The children being 13, 15 and 16 got a few dollars from us parents and left to explore.
We stood nearby the bench which was fairly close by the stage area and could barely see or understand the words spoken on the stage. The stage was made of raw lumber with a garage style tent on top. To the left and right large Tv's were placed and had ads running on them but would have been nice to have had the bands playing in order to see.
We stood as a couple of the bands played and announcements were made and soon found the children returning stating "there's nothing to do". We decided as a group to forfeit the park bench for a walk down the street and explore a little as adults also. The ladies found an antique shop to stop in as the men got a cup of coffee.
While waiting on the women and children to return we finally spotted what we assumed was the opossum (actually a ball of lights) hanging from a building behind the stage.
Soon after we waited with the ladies outside near the main entrance sign we had previously missed, impatient for the main event to start, the kids now restless.
As we watched our clocks, the announcer spoke as the time passed the midnight hour by 3 minutes before the countdown started despite the cry's of the crowd on the delay.
The fireworks display was a surprising finale in comparison and was quite well done although short.
We understood the event to be a "small town" themed event (after all it was supposed to drop an opossum) but all left disappointed after attending due to the lack of activities for the children and overall quality of the event.
I doubt we will return in the years to come.
Visit Helen, Georgia they are a little smaller than Tallapoosa but have many restuarants, small clubs and trinket shops. Lots of Bluegrass music events and venues. I am not sure what they do on New Years
Adcock

Villa Rica, GA

#22 Jan 16, 2013
Sofa King Cool wrote:
Hey Hillbillies!
Question: Which is tastier, possum or raccoon?
I have never had either but I would pick a Raccoon over an Opossum.

A Raccoon washes his food before eating it and an Opossum eats rotting garbage straight from the can.

If voted on as a town mascot I would make the same choice for the same reason.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Holidays Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Students speak: Celebrating Christmas as an ath... 18 min Mark 7
A Hanukkah custom that started in Philadelphia 31 min Democracy 2
India Hindu group plans religious conversions a... 3 hr Yupp111 77
Carrollton Free Press Standard News | School su... 3 hr OHGuy 1
Jeb Bush takes new step toward a White House ru... 12 hr Your Ex 7
Ghost hunters search for spirits in Eunice (Nov '09) 14 hr Wondering 20
Gay veterans get OK for Boston's St. Patrick's ... 15 hr Lawrence Wolf 26
More from around the web