Taste of Minnesota scrubbed for 2011

Taste of Minnesota scrubbed for 2011

There are 35 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 28, 2010, titled Taste of Minnesota scrubbed for 2011. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Paul. City officials decided Tuesday that none of the four proposals to revive the three-decade-old Fourth of July festival on Harriet Island met the required standards, a spokesman said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 10

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Dec 29, 2010
The "Waste of Minnesota" will not be missed. What a rip-off.
Blistream

Maple Grove, MN

#2 Dec 29, 2010
The Taste of Minnesota was a great event that will be missed by many. Where else on planet earth could you see 100's of FREE national recording stars including; Buddy Guy, Sonny Landreth, Steve Morse, Chris Durate, George Thorogood, Heart, Deep Purple, April Wine, Ted Nugent, Judas Priest, Charlie Daniels, Elvis Costello, Janelle Monae, and the list goes on. A sad day for the Twin Cities......
EastSide_Thomas

Columbus, IN

#3 Dec 29, 2010
Blistream wrote:
The Taste of Minnesota was a great event that will be missed by many. Where else on planet earth could you see 100's of FREE national recording stars...
100% free? You been on a long drunken binge? The last 2 years it was NOT free at all. They charged admission so you could have the pleasure of buying a $6 hotdog.
Taste This MN

Madison, WI

#4 Dec 29, 2010
Whatever the city does I sure hope they charge like a $46 cover charge to get in.
What the Heck

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Dec 29, 2010
Taste This MN wrote:
Whatever the city does I sure hope they charge like a $46 cover charge to get in.
Try reading the article before you open your blow hole.........

"the city requested the event include music, fireworks, food, the capacity for 40,000 people and an event manager with a proven track record that could do it all at no cost to the city."
Charles Manson

Webster, NY

#7 Dec 29, 2010
And I was going to go this year.
Jerry B

Hudson, WI

#8 Dec 29, 2010
They priced their way out of business. We had gone multiple times over the years, but there was no way we could afford the event last year, so we did not go. Someone actually posted 100% free? No, especially not last year.
What the

Manchester, CT

#9 Dec 29, 2010
St. Paul is truly a democratic city. If they can't get everything they want then nothing will happen. Once the city gets involved every thing goes to heck.
Vikes

United States

#10 Dec 29, 2010
The taste of Minnesota was great....... in 1988.

“Ahhhh hee ahw”

Since: Aug 09

Twin Cities

#11 Dec 29, 2010
Do it at the Capital or don't do it at all. Harriet Island sucks
Keith Halvorsen

United States

#12 Dec 29, 2010
Congratulations to the City of Saint Paul, and the city counsel!
Once again you have taken a successful event and promoted,ruled, and regulated it to death!
You just couldn't stand to leave well enough alone could you........

Since: Dec 10

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Dec 29, 2010
Blistream wrote:
The Taste of Minnesota was a great event that will be missed by many. Where else on planet earth could you see 100's of FREE national recording stars including; Buddy Guy, Sonny Landreth, Steve Morse, Chris Durate, George Thorogood, Heart, Deep Purple, April Wine, Ted Nugent, Judas Priest, Charlie Daniels, Elvis Costello, Janelle Monae, and the list goes on. A sad day for the Twin Cities......
100% Free??? What have you been smoking??? Yeah, I'm really going to miss the opportunity to gag down a 6 dollar hotdog and warm lemonade while I listen to some wrinkly old "has-beens" screech out their moldy songs from the '70's....
Mark

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Dec 29, 2010
Why does there need to be a city fireworks display? We can't afford this, the whole state is bankrupt - they apparently can't even afford to clear snow off the streets.

Besides - there are a million other fireworks displays going on that people can watch if they so choose.
Charles Manson

Webster, NY

#15 Dec 29, 2010
Ann_St_Paul wrote:
<quoted text>100% Free??? What have you been smoking??? Yeah, I'm really going to miss the opportunity to gag down a 6 dollar hotdog and warm lemonade while I listen to some wrinkly old "has-beens" screech out their moldy songs from the '70's....
Moldy songs from the 70's are better than the craap they put out now. In 30 years will we be seeing the Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber? I think not.
nice guy

Burnsville, MN

#16 Dec 29, 2010
Only went once, and I lived walking distance when it was held @ the capital.

All I saw were bands of roving thugs. I stayed away.

It would be awesome however if the proposals were made public and the public voiced their opinion.
conservative observations

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Dec 29, 2010
Who cares? The TOM always featured food that was too expensive and always seemed to be a festival looking for a theme that would resonate with folks requiring more reasonable cash outlays to participate. If anything, it is surprising that it lasted as long as it did.
griddy

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Dec 29, 2010
nice guy wrote:
Only went once, and I lived walking distance when it was held @ the capital.
All I saw were bands of roving thugs. I stayed away.
It would be awesome however if the proposals were made public and the public voiced their opinion.
The very early ones were cool...no thugs, on the Capital grounds, different music venues and a wide variety of food. But then, it all went downhill..steadily.
Walt Kowalski

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Dec 29, 2010
Blistream wrote:
You really don't get it, do you? Those acts weren't free. They cost a lot of money and that's why there was a higher cover charge than in the past and thTs why they went broke.

The creditor better beable to go after TOM owners Andy Faris, Terry Moore, and Dan Hare of International Event Management, LLC personally for what they owe, or at least as much as the law allows.
AnitMelting

Buffalo, MN

#20 Dec 29, 2010
I remember sitting on the Cathedral grounds enjoying the fireworks from above. It was nice being separated from the gang-bangers and lowlifes.
The Big Bopper

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Dec 29, 2010
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

4th of July Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How should an angry liberal celebrate the Fourt... (Jul '17) Dec '17 Monday Blues 873
News Happy birthday to the United States of America (Jul '17) Aug '17 C Kersey 2
News Obama Regularly Used 4th of July to Push Progre... (Jul '17) Aug '17 C Kersey 28
News Fireworks pollute the atmosphere and disturb birds (Jul '17) Jul '17 CabotRes 1
News Pittsfield prepares to march together for July ... (Jul '17) Jul '17 Funnybunnyfunnyliar 26
News MS Firefighters Urging Caution with Fireworks (Jul '17) Jul '17 Firefighters on N... 4
News Hot dogs, parades, fireworks: US celebrates Fou... (Jul '17) Jul '17 Stop the Horribles 7