Detroit 4, Columbus 3: Perceived bad ...

Detroit 4, Columbus 3: Perceived bad calls undermine Jackets | ...

There are 20 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Apr 8, 2010, titled Detroit 4, Columbus 3: Perceived bad calls undermine Jackets | .... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

In a dizzying three-minute span of the third period, Detroit's Jonathan Ericsson lost his balance, the Blue Jackets lost their lead, and two of their best players lost their composure.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Richard

Tiffin, OH

#1 Apr 8, 2010
Do the Blue Jackets ever simply get beat as it seems every game it's Toronto's Fault or the Ref's fault but never the Jacket's Fault?
OMG

Nashport, OH

#2 Apr 8, 2010
Couldn't agree more with Richard. The Dispatch and FSN commentators have perfected the art of rationalizing why the CBJ lose and why they stink. Yes, I have "put my money where my mouth is" by buying a PSL and season tickets since inception. However, that ends this year. I actually think it would be better if they just left town rather than rebuild. They have become a distraction for OSU basketball in the winter.
End of season

United States

#3 Apr 8, 2010
I agree with others & say we can't blame the refs all the time for poor play. But, there is wide spread cheating in the NHL by terrible officating-not making calls, the wrong calls, etc. I wonder how much the refs make on the side by the odds makers in Vegas-more than the refs in the NBA?

This team needs defense & a will to play a 60 minute game. No wonder Mason looks shell-shocked..where's the help on defense? This season started with high hopes but ended with another let down. Let's hope the snack bar gets better food.
Will

Columbus, OH

#4 Apr 8, 2010
Time for a gut-check for the Jackets, and paybacks to be handed out in Nationwide. Maybe they can regain a little of the pride they've been throwing away all season.

C'mon, guys, finish it.
Will

Columbus, OH

#5 Apr 8, 2010
OMG wrote:
Couldn't agree more with Richard. The Dispatch and FSN commentators have perfected the art of rationalizing why the CBJ lose and why they stink. Yes, I have "put my money where my mouth is" by buying a PSL and season tickets since inception. However, that ends this year. I actually think it would be better if they just left town rather than rebuild. They have become a distraction for OSU basketball in the winter.
If this is your idea of "support," maybe YOU should just leave town instead of pretending you're a Jackets fan.
the real truth

Columbus, OH

#6 Apr 8, 2010
if any slimy det fans try to get an octopus on the ice on the nat on friday...there'd better be a beatdown!
Carbonneau

Portsmouth, OH

#7 Apr 8, 2010
I'm a Canadiens fan who happened to watch the game, and I have to agree that there were calls in the 3rd period that were on par with what's been happening all year. The refs change from game to game and there's just no consistancy. You never know what the refs will call from game to game. There were terrible calls last night from the refs that hurt the Blue Jackets. That being said, it's been happening all year and you just have to get over the bad call and keep playing. It does seem like Detroit gets many "homer" calls from the refs when they play in the "Joe".
OMG

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Apr 8, 2010
Will wrote:
<quoted text>
If this is your idea of "support," maybe YOU should just leave town instead of pretending you're a Jackets fan.
Ahh, where to begin. Let's start with the fact that I am not the one who is threatening to leave...that would be the ownership who claims to be losing money but will not share their financial statements so that claim can be verified. Given the product they put on the ice, I am not sure this franchise deserves public financial support (AKA "MY MONEY") to keep them here. I am a fan, but not to the point of being blackmailed to bail out a loser from a deal that wealthy ownership and wealthy arena financiers created. That being said, as much as it would pain me for the CBJ to leave I would rather have them leave than have the county or city bail them out without the public having a say or, dare I say, a vote. At minimum, the public should be allowed to scrutinze the team's finances. If this mindset disqualifies me as a CBJ fan, then so be it.
goBrowns56

Columbus, OH

#9 Apr 8, 2010
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh, where to begin. Let's start with the fact that I am not the one who is threatening to leave...that would be the ownership who claims to be losing money but will not share their financial statements so that claim can be verified. Given the product they put on the ice, I am not sure this franchise deserves public financial support (AKA "MY MONEY") to keep them here. I am a fan, but not to the point of being blackmailed to bail out a loser from a deal that wealthy ownership and wealthy arena financiers created. That being said, as much as it would pain me for the CBJ to leave I would rather have them leave than have the county or city bail them out without the public having a say or, dare I say, a vote. At minimum, the public should be allowed to scrutinze the team's finances. If this mindset disqualifies me as a CBJ fan, then so be it.
No one said you were "threatening to leave," genius. I'm saying that you appear to be in such a snit about the CBJ and their management that you're willing to see them leave. That's not much of a fan.
RichardHarkin

Columbus, OH

#10 Apr 8, 2010
"OMG" has obviously never read either of the recent published studies treating the CBJ's current financial woes and their considerable contributions to our local finances. Both are available online. Look 'em up and read 'em, Bozo, before you shoot your mouth off and reveal what an idiot you really are.

And while I agree the team has some housecleaning to do -- and I'm confident the right moves will be made -- it's also obvious to me that neither "Richard" nor "OMG" watched last night's game. I did, and the Jackets were seriously and unconscionably homered by the zebras; no question about it. A little sour grapes is therefore proper, as is a healthy serving of revenge.

Let's go, Jackets! Destroy the Wings Friday night!
Brian

Columbus, OH

#11 Apr 8, 2010
You want to get the questionable calls? Play better. Happens in every sport. Great basketball players go to the free throw line more. Great pitchers get the edges of the strike zone. Great hockey teams will get more questionable calls their way. I have been frustrated all season by calls - but more so by the team's play.
toledojim

Toledo, OH

#12 Apr 8, 2010
I saw the game on TV in Toledo with the Red Wings announcers (BTW, my cable company blocks out the Blue Jackets). They were laughing at the bad call on Blunden. They admitted Ericson fell down on his own. Also, they have no love for the referees who make bad (phantom) calls. Bettman has turned this game into what basketball used to be. I say "used to be" because there is more holding and hacking in basketball that does not get called now. Example: A Butler player obviously held on to a Michigan State player in a race for a loose ball, and the ref didn't call it. Seems like baketball and hockey have traded places in terms of what penalties and fouls are.
Richard

Tiffin, OH

#13 Apr 8, 2010
My only point was there are bad calls, missed calls etc. every game, every night that go both ways (Unless you're Cindy Crosby and can slash/crosscheck etc at the buzzer and get away with it)But it seems like every time the jackets lose, it was a bad call that made the difference and that they never get the benefit of a bad call. Maybe a winning attitude would help the Jackets, and getting away from the WORLD HATES US mentality they seem to have now...
Richard

Tiffin, OH

#14 Apr 8, 2010
the real truth wrote:
if any slimy det fans try to get an octopus on the ice on the nat on friday...there'd better be a beatdown!
Either way, the sad truth is while the Wings will be getting set for their 19th straight playoff season, the Jackets will be getting out the golf clubs....
HJG

Columbus, OH

#15 Apr 8, 2010
Thanks Richard H - I agree. The CBJ guys (and families) bring a lot to this City and give a lot of time and money.

There have been a few questionable calls of late - and yes, we have to deal with it like every other team.

I, too, have confidence that our young team will continue to grow and get better. I will not be a fairweather fan. I intend to be at as many games as possible next year with my husband and son.

Go CBJ!
goBrowns56

Columbus, OH

#16 Apr 8, 2010
Richard wrote:
My only point was there are bad calls, missed calls etc. every game, every night that go both ways (Unless you're Cindy Crosby and can slash/crosscheck etc at the buzzer and get away with it)But it seems like every time the jackets lose, it was a bad call that made the difference and that they never get the benefit of a bad call. Maybe a winning attitude would help the Jackets, and getting away from the WORLD HATES US mentality they seem to have now...
I've never noticed people routinely claiming it's a "bad call that made the difference" every time the Jackets lose, but I have seen a lot of whiny Pittsburg haters who blame every loss to the Pens on "what Crosby gets away with."

Just FYI...
HockeyFan

Reynoldsburg, OH

#17 Apr 8, 2010
I watched some of the game last night,but I had to turn it off. They're not losing because of bad calls, they're losing because they still lack the skills required to play in the NHL as a TEAM.

Put on a t-shirt and fire the coach, yeah right, who you gonna blame next year ??
Richard

United States

#18 Apr 8, 2010
goBrowns56 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never noticed people routinely claiming it's a "bad call that made the difference" every time the Jackets lose, but I have seen a lot of whiny Pittsburg haters who blame every loss to the Pens on "what Crosby gets away with."
Just FYI...
Because it's true.. How many times has Cindy slashed/Cross Check Zetterberg at the end of the game after Hank shuts him down, and all Cindy gets is a two minute penalty at the 20:00 minute mark of the third period...which is just a wink and a nod from the NHL to say "It's OK Cindy, that mean Zetterberg shouldn't play such tight defense on you, so you just go ahead and slash away..."
letzgogolfing CBJ

Reynoldsburg, OH

#19 Apr 8, 2010
Richard wrote:
<quoted text>Because it's true.. How many times has Cindy slashed/Cross Check Zetterberg at the end of the game after Hank shuts him down, and all Cindy gets is a two minute penalty at the 20:00 minute mark of the third period...which is just a wink and a nod from the NHL to say "It's OK Cindy, that mean Zetterberg shouldn't play such tight defense on you, so you just go ahead and slash away..."
Richard...Crosby just scored goal number 50 a few minutes ago. At the beginning of the season he said he needed to improve his shooting skills. I think it's working. Crosby gets cross checked and pounded on too,and yes, he dishes it out as well.

Oh yeah, last year I remember Jackets' fans saying they were glad to play Detroit in the playoffs....they thought they had them figured out..including Zetterberg.
letzgogolfing CBJ

Reynoldsburg, OH

#20 Apr 8, 2010
Richard.....here's an update on the hockey player you dislike so much. Before they awarded Crosby his 50th goal they reviewed it for a long time, so the Pens fans had to wait to cheer. Then at the end of the game Crosby contested their decision and upon further review they gave the goal to Guerin because it touched him last before it went in. Guerin did NOT deflect it but he was the last player to come in contact with the puck.

Say what you want about Crosby, but I don't think you'll find too many players with that kind of class and sense of fair play (right Alex O.?).

Comments ?????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tomas Holmstrom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wings' Holmstrom Considering Retirement (Apr '12) Apr '12 Dont go 1
News Wings place Holmstrom on IR (Dec '11) Dec '11 Gordie Howe is God 1
News Red Wings sweep shorthanded Avalanche (Sep '10) Oct '10 toptellwholesale 2
News Babcock: It's 'inevitable' Modano will be Wing (Jul '10) Jul '10 HockeyFan 1
News Jackets rattled by referees' calls in 4-3 loss ... (Apr '10) Apr '10 feces for jesus 2
News Datsyuk shoots for more success (Sep '09) Sep '09 Carlo 1
News Wild picks really click (Jul '09) Jul '09 Soothsayer 5