NHL: Rule changes under study take ai...

NHL: Rule changes under study take aim at reducing shootouts | Blue...

There are 6 comments on the BlueJacketsXtra story from Aug 22, 2010, titled NHL: Rule changes under study take aim at reducing shootouts | Blue.... In it, BlueJacketsXtra reports that:

One way the Blue Jackets would stop losing so many games in shootouts is by eliminating a need for them - or at least greatly reducing their frequency.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BlueJacketsXtra.

Scog

Columbus, OH

#1 Aug 22, 2010
It seemed to me that they had a lot of sessions with enforcing icing calls on penalty kills. I thought they seemed serious about it as a possibility. I agree with the general argument, "why do we allow a team that broke one rule to temporarily break another?"

Since: Aug 10

Columbus, OH

#2 Aug 22, 2010
I agree that we need to stop the shootouts. I hate watching a hard fought, physical game decided by a skills competiton. Why cant we just elimnate it all together? Why do we have to award the extra point in every game? I liked the old system much better, the jackets have not fared well in these shootouts, and i beleive they only appeal to the fring fans, who dont fully understand the NHLs point system. At any rate, 3 on 3 hockey would be awesome. alot of games would end before a shootout would be needed to decide games. Another idea would be to award half points for shootout wins. That would help, i think, keep teams from playing for a shootout.

Since: Aug 10

Columbus, OH

#3 Aug 23, 2010
Another thing I forgot to say is that these shootouts greatlly take away from "the most exciting play in all of sports" that being the penality shot. Now we see it most every night on a busy day in the NHL. We need to take a hard look at this, and decide whats best for the game. Most die hard NHL fans want shootouts to go away, and count me as one of those. Go Jackets!!!! Cant waite until October!!!!
BUG

Hilliard, OH

#4 Aug 23, 2010
Why don't we get rid of the blue line all together. that would surely make the offensive zone bigger for more powerplay goals and lets get rid of the icing by this rule if an offensive player crosses the red line before the puck crosses the goal line it's no icing
Larry

Columbus, OH

#5 Aug 23, 2010
I think the league would be greatly improved if they use the Olympic point system: 3 for a win in regulation, 2 for a win in overtime, and 1 for a loss in overtime.
Dan

Delaware, OH

#6 Aug 23, 2010
"Thicker" blue lines wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing? That's the hold-up?...How about just keep the blue line the same size and just move it back...you get the same result - the attack zone becomes larger.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tom Renney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cranbrook's mythical, multi-generational NHL team (Oct '14) Oct '14 Paddie Faust Ferraro 1
News Oilers president apologizes for 'paying custome... (Apr '13) Apr '13 mr patience 1
News Oilers president Lowe says sorry as Edmonton mo... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Mike 1
Oilers (Mar '13) Mar '13 Mike 1
News New York Rangers: Was Letting Sean Avery Go Was... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Religious Joe 2
News NHL: Rule changes under study take aim at reduc... (Dec '10) Dec '10 Xaivier O Hallihan 1
News NHL: Rule changes under study take aim at reduc... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Tyler 1
More from around the web