Sather starts cleaning up his mess

Sather starts cleaning up his mess

There are 19 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 14, 2009, titled Sather starts cleaning up his mess. In it, Newsday reports that:

Glen Sather's "Extreme Makeover: Summer Edition" is just about complete now, unless he swoops in to get Dany Heatley before training camp starts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Mr Moose Says

Plant City, FL

#1 Jul 15, 2009
This is well thought out and non-emotional look at the Blueshirts and their dysfunctional ownership/management...I felt bad that no one took the time to comment (or maybe even read it)...Zip is the superstar of hockey blogs and Larry Brooks the lightening rod of Ranger columnists...
You are ok in my humble opinion...keep on writin'
Brian F

Great Neck, NY

#2 Jul 15, 2009
thats some prediction,i predict they will be there at the end,,holding lord stanley,,but i hope WITHOUT sather,,brian leetch should have retired a ranger ,7474
A Jay

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Jul 15, 2009
With all the moves he made, he has yet to address the needs for a big physical defenseman, power forward and a quarterback on the power play (Zubov). Look at the Flyers ( Pronger). Another year of the little guys getting beat up in the corners and in front of the net.
There is no light at the end of the tunnel. Another frustrating year coming up. The Islanders will be better then our Rangers.
Chris G

Huntington, NY

#4 Jul 15, 2009
not cool to guarantee they wont win
Wally G

Harrisburg, PA

#5 Jul 15, 2009
It never ceases to amaze me that the Ranger ownership, brain dead Dolan, must be in a coma, and or is blind. This team will be competitive this year because of Torts, but they won't go beyond the first, or second round. We still need youth, and gonads on the blue line, and we put out the two biggest wimps in the game. If Redden and Rozavol get upset, they hit you with their purses, so whatever you do, please do get them mad, I don't want to see lip stick on the ice. Eat Reddens contract, send him to Hartford, this way no cap hit by the team, and embarrass him into retirement, or should I say leaving the game, I believe he retired three years ago! Give some of the younger kids a shot, let them make mistakes, by doing so they learn, and develop into players, something foreign to the R&R brothers!!!!!
Matt

United States

#6 Jul 15, 2009
Here is another guarantee for you Zip: When your third rate paper goes pay to read, you won't see dime one from me and most of the other Rangers fans. How do you like them apples?
GaveUpMySeasonTi x

Passaic, NJ

#7 Jul 15, 2009
A Jay hit the nail on the head. Sather has no concept of what he needs. I thought with Torts here there might be some logic, for Renney sure had no idea about talent either. I gave up my 23 years, the latter of which were in the CLUBS, because I couldn't stand to see our smurfs continue to get beaten up. What has 'the worst draft record in Ranger GM history' done to strengthen the blue line? Glen, this is 2009, and if you noticed, teams that were deep in the playoffs had size if not talent back there. It's called protecting your star goalie, the one and only star on this potpourri of mediocrity. You just lost the only guy that came to Blair Betts aid with the cheap shot from our new teammate. So, now our blueline is a bunch of midgets that play like wimps to boot. Yes, we needed a sniper and we got a good 40 game sniper for $7.5M. Brilliant. Tell me one of your draft choices in a decade that is a top flight player. I'll show you dozens you missed and were picked after you. I'd love to have your job. It's better than being a weatherman. Even they are right sometimes. Do you have something on Dolan, or what? Why does he hang onto you???????
cpb

AOL

#8 Jul 16, 2009
hey folks the rangers don't look that bad... The first line will likely be Higgins (L) and Gaborik (R) centered by Drury. I think Dubinsky will be between Avery and Callahan. This new kid Lisin will play with Kotalik and likely be centered by Arnason. The fourth line well other than Brashear it is unclear, Boyle is big, but his numbers are weak. On the PK Drury, Higgins and Dubinsky and Callahan with likely Arnanson the alternate. PP could see Gaborik with Kotalik at the point with Avery in front. The Defense is Rosival and Redden with Staal and Girarde together. I hope this kid Gillroy plays considering what we are paying him and the 6th guy? I think Sather is looking maybe Seidenberg or Skoula or Bergeron, we'll see. I think the team has balance at the moment, we could use a first rate center, but don't need much more. I would love to pick up Satan, because he is a consistant goalscorer and healthy, but the last thing we need is another right winger. I doubt Del Zotto or Sanguinetti make the jump this year and start, but either may see time in the bigs as the season progresses. Potter looks to be the 6th (no deal is made) or 7th. The goaltending is great so the season should be decent. Injuries happen, the depth chart will be important. Don't expect Grachev to make the team he is only 19... We need a first rate center or the cheap route is a solid 3rd line center who can score a bit and pass to Kotalik or this kid Lisin thereby moving Arnason to 4th, but he may be too good for a fourth line center. Sorry to see Korpikoski go as I was Sjostrom, but I wish them well. Now that Pittsburgh was given the cup, sorry I meant won the cup maybe Bettman will find another "favorite" team to favor. I know it won't be the Rangers, but whichever team it is people are starting to watch and the credibility of the NHL will be on the line we don't want to look like wrestling... Bettman's fixing is the Rangers biggest problem in the coming year.
A Jay

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jul 16, 2009
As I said before, NO BIG DEFENSEMAN to help and punish in front of the net.
Let's bring back Jeff B. Even at his age he is still better then what we have now.
I'm still not sold on Dubinsky. Yes he is big and fast but he is not a sniper and his goals come in clusters. Just go back and see how many games went by before he scores.
Need more Callahans in Dubinsky bodies.
A Jay

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Jul 16, 2009
PS.
Another missed move by Sather. I guess he couldn't get out of bed to see that a 6-5 defenseman from Philly was available before Carolina signed him. He was too good for our team
He was a plus 6, 133 blocked shots and had a 157 hits.
I guess if we signed him he would make the other defenseman look bad
SuperNintendo Chalmers

Denver, CO

#11 Jul 16, 2009
it tastes like.....burning!
Colin Citra-Florida

Hauppauge, NY

#12 Jul 17, 2009
This is what happens when you BUY a team insted of building one.
JEG

Scottsdale, AZ

#13 Jul 17, 2009
It goes above Sather. Sure, Sather is an anachronism who has cost the Rangers any chance of success for the next few years. But Dolan et. al. employ him. One wonders if winning is even relevant to MSG. There must be other more important priorities.
Rich

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Jul 18, 2009
SatherFeld did address some needs, mostly on the offensive side, but we now have two terrific future D men that are gonna be great in McDonough and MDZ.....only thing we need now is a vet centerman and a big hard hitting d man...but w/the cap, we can't do it all in one off season. Once we move Rosy, it'll open up some cap room to acquire the above mentioned, then after next season we send Redden to Hartford and get well under the new cap- not a bad idea IMO
Rich

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Jul 18, 2009
PS Wally G is about the ONLY logical blogger here aside from myself, all the rest of you simply don't have a clue, and Superintendocharmers, the only thing burning is the Nassau Coliseum, cause why keep an unused building up when it can be used for apt complexes and such....even a new golf course would be better!!!!
z1ny

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Jul 19, 2009
rich: shut up already,'wally G' IS you, you do this on all the friggin rangers boards on a regular basis, and everyone else is sick of your 'multiple personality' BS. Get a life already, willya?
Darcy Tucker

Levittown, NY

#17 Jul 20, 2009
Rich wrote:
SatherFeld did address some needs, mostly on the offensive side, but we now have two terrific future D men that are gonna be great in McDonough and MDZ.....only thing we need now is a vet centerman and a big hard hitting d man...but w/the cap, we can't do it all in one off season. Once we move Rosy, it'll open up some cap room to acquire the above mentioned, then after next season we send Redden to Hartford and get well under the new cap- not a bad idea IMO
As if anyone wants Rosy and his 5 million contract and Sather will throw Redden into Hartford and admit his mistake.... c'mon, be realistic.
Wally G

Harrisburg, PA

#18 Jul 20, 2009
Hay guys

I am not Rich, and I'm writing from Pennsylvania, and kind of laughed with the post from Rich about me. Thanks
A Jay

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Jul 20, 2009
Some of you guys are looking at the future and it's the same story year after year.
Bring in #11 to run the team and let the GM go back to Palm Springs, play Golf and smoke cigars.
Time has past him by.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tom Renney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cranbrook's mythical, multi-generational NHL team (Oct '14) Oct '14 Paddie Faust Ferraro 1
News Oilers president apologizes for 'paying custome... (Apr '13) Apr '13 mr patience 1
News Oilers president Lowe says sorry as Edmonton mo... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Mike 1
Oilers (Mar '13) Mar '13 Mike 1
News New York Rangers: Was Letting Sean Avery Go Was... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Religious Joe 2
News NHL: Rule changes under study take aim at reduc... (Dec '10) Dec '10 Xaivier O Hallihan 1
News NHL: Rule changes under study take aim at reduc... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Tyler 1
More from around the web