Michael Arace commentary: Detroit is old, and one win won't change ...

The Detroit Red Wings finally appeared in Game 4 of their Western Conference semifinal. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
stephen

Livonia, MI

#1 May 7, 2010
This guy doesn't know much about hockey.
coldwar

Ann Arbor, MI

#2 May 7, 2010
so. tired.

no, not the wings ...
this stupid stupid cliche bit about their age and energy.

been hearing it for over a decade.
will hear it for another I'm sure.

In fact, did you even write this article? I mean, it's been written by a million different journalists ... what's the chance that you put something new into it?
Scog

Columbus, OH

#3 May 7, 2010
I'm from Michigan and therefore I disagree with what you have to say.
Adam

Tempe, AZ

#4 May 7, 2010
Lazy article dude. It's been written a couple of times before over the past decade. It fails to mention the younger guys like Fillpula, Helm, etc and the fact that the Wings have a pipeline of talent leading from Grand Rapids. It doesn't consider the fact that a young team isn't automatically better or engineered to win for longer - the salary cap makes young talent hard to hold together. The Wings have a mix of ages on their team and the balance in salaries has always been a Ken Holland specialty. Losing Lidstrom will be a blow, no doubt. But a guy named Kronwall will step into his place the same way Zetterberg stepped up when Yzerman left. In addition, when Lidstrom retires, a gaping hole will open up under their salary cap to stock up. You're forgiven for your lack of vision though, I understand a guy writing for the Blue Jackets would have trouble understanding how a perennial winner is developed and maintained. When the Wings miss the playoffs or fail to make the 2nd round for a couple few seasons, then you can declare their dynasty over. Until that happens, keep your pen sharpened by writing about all the potential Rick Nash has wasted in Columbus.
alex

Tuckerton, NJ

#5 May 7, 2010
Perhaps you should stick to something you know, like what time the Blue Jackets tee off while other teams play meaningful hockey.
CBJ44

Clarksville, IN

#6 May 7, 2010
A rookie goal tender is the biggest issue, but overall the Red Wings are on the downside of their hill-they will lose this series and struggle to make the playoffs in an improved central divison next season.

Arace is right, the Red Wings are a dying bird.
PMW

Plano, TX

#7 May 7, 2010
I love how most of the comments that disagree with you were deleted.
MBC

Flint, MI

#8 May 7, 2010
The Red Wings have played a lot of hockey over the past decade. They have aged, but they also have young players being integrated into the lineup (Helm (23), Abdelkader (23), Howard (26), Miller (26), Eaves (26), Ericson (26),Filppula (26), Kronwall (29)are all in their twenties. My thought is the NHL's salary cap and quest for pairity is more of a cause. Look at Pittsburgh, they are a young team, finished 4th in the east and are tied 2-2 in their second round to an 8th seed. Is Pittsburgh washed up and out of gas???
Bryce

Chesterfield, MO

#9 May 7, 2010
Yawn...this is the same drivel we have been hearing in Detroit since 1999. You couldn't come up with anything better to write about than a story that has been repeated over and over for the last decade? How much of this story did you steal from other writers? Did you copy and paste?

Try something original and concentrate on how bad your home town team is...and get a life
Arace is right

Columbus, OH

#10 May 7, 2010
I find it intesting that all the smart people who would agree with Arace were too busy earning a living working today to write in and comment, while all of the unemployed Detroit fans had plenty of time to stay on their bandwagon for another few days. The team is just like their city (old, shitty, lazy, and getting exactly what they deserve). If only obama cared about hockey maybe he could bail u guys out on the ice in addition to life.
a_mackie

Toronto, Canada

#11 May 7, 2010
if they are too old to win, how did they manage to beat you guys last year?aren't the jackets considerably younger?that means they should have a cup or two by now, if we follow your logic
Fanonymous

Columbus, OH

#12 May 7, 2010
Oh look, Detroit let its bandwagon out for the day.
Dougfrom Detorit

Grand Blanc, MI

#13 May 7, 2010
This guy must not know that dynastic teams have been salary capped out of the NHL. Look for Blackhawks to loose many essential parts of their team in the off season. The Red Wings will continue to have the premier organization in Hockey. This organization knows how to win and that won't change. But I think that this article exhibits a bit of resentment. Why don't you write about the Blue Jackets and the winning culture in their dressing room? The Red Wings falling back to join just the front of the NHL pack won't help the Jackets win or even stay in the city of Coumbus
Fanonymous

Columbus, OH

#14 May 7, 2010
It's official. The only people who are allowed to have opinions of Detroit are as follows:

1) People who live in Detroit [sucks to be you]
2) People who were born/grew up in Detroit [Sucks a little less to be you]
3) People who started watching the NHL within the past 3 years and picked Detroit as their team because they win a lot and get 90% of the non-cable TV NHL coverage.[no one cares what you think]
4) People who don't mind the Detroit trash coming into their cities/bars/websites/forums/bl ogs etc and getting their tampons in a bunch because you "talked smack" about them.

Do we really want Columbus littered with their trash? They've already destroyed 1 city, they'll do it again.
Jeff from Detroit

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#16 May 7, 2010
Arace is right wrote:
I find it intesting that all the smart people who would agree with Arace were too busy earning a living working today to write in and comment, while all of the unemployed Detroit fans had plenty of time to stay on their bandwagon for another few days. The team is just like their city (old, shitty, lazy, and getting exactly what they deserve). If only obama cared about hockey maybe he could bail u guys out on the ice in addition to life.
Yet, you commented on it, too. I think it's the Blue Jackets that need a bailout. You guys didn't even make the playoffs, have one good player in Rick Nash, need help from Wings fans to sellout your arena every time they come to town, and got beat down by the Wings in four straight when you actually did make the playoffs last season. At least we don't throw bags of urine at opposing fans, like OSU fans did to Texas fans in Columbus, or smash out windows of cars from Michigan, like OSU fans do every time Michigan plays at the Horseshoe. Stay classy Columbus, Ohio!!
Gokiburi

Big Timber, MT

#17 May 8, 2010
Jeff from Detroit wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet, you commented on it, too. I think it's the Blue Jackets that need a bailout. You guys didn't even make the playoffs, have one good player in Rick Nash, need help from Wings fans to sellout your arena every time they come to town, and got beat down by the Wings in four straight when you actually did make the playoffs last season. At least we don't throw bags of urine at opposing fans, like OSU fans did to Texas fans in Columbus, or smash out windows of cars from Michigan, like OSU fans do every time Michigan plays at the Horseshoe. Stay classy Columbus, Ohio!!
I'll spare you the usual responses to the Wings-beating-Jackets spiel bar one:

You all act like you NEVER EVER EVER EVER had a bad period in your history EVER. That said, it's not like the 70s and 80s and were glowing decades for your team, now was it?

I'm also going to pass on commenting on the OSU fans behavior. I do not give two sh!ts about Ohio State football and the behavior of some of the supporters is absolutely disgusting, usually the drunken jerkholes.

However. If you Wings fans are so saintly at Nationwide, why did a Red Wings fan dump a beer on my thirteen-year-old self at a game for supporting the Jackets? I'd just gotten a Nash sweater (this was 2002 and I was so proud I'd saved up for it myself since sources of income are a bit hard to come by at age 12/13) and managed to get it signed literally the day before and some unknown Wings fan threw a beer on me (security didn't catch it; I was joking around with my dad who'd brought me to a game for a birthday present and suddenly I smelled like cat pee, I was drenched and a cup rolled to a stop in front of me. My dad was absolutely thrilled). At Nationwide, nonetheless.

Dumping beers on tweens is a FINE example of class, of course.

There's a load more I'd rather not get into detail with either (intentionally kicking my sodas over, my dad's beers met the same fate, a box of popcorn a friend and I had at another birthday game a few years later, insults directed at my appearance, etc.). The best part is that this has stopped since I started looking like I'd graduated high school and then they switched focus to younger kids. I've seen a Wings fan curse out a 10 year old in language I wouldn't use around a 30 year old.

Have I had awesome hockey discussions with sober, intelligent, witty Wings fans? Yeah, of course, and I'm sure there's more of the decent kind of fan than the winos (there always are). But your winos are probably the most classless things I've had to interact with at a sporting event.

Pot, I'd like you to meet my friend Mr. Kettle. Keep up the picking on little girls, though. Because it's the epitome of class and manliness.

Oh, wait.
ksmith

United States

#18 May 8, 2010
Arace is right wrote:
I find it intesting that all the smart people who would agree with Arace were too busy earning a living working today to write in and comment, while all of the unemployed Detroit fans had plenty of time to stay on their bandwagon for another few days. The team is just like their city (old, shitty, lazy, and getting exactly what they deserve). If only obama cared about hockey maybe he could bail u guys out on the ice in addition to life.
Apparently you are so ignorant that you do not even know the economy in your own state of Ohio, let alone know hockey. Columbus is not exactly Paris. Your jealousy of the Red Wings is so so sad. Obviously you have never been to Michigan or you would realize how stupid your comment is. Come visit and I will buy you a brain.
gmoore

United States

#19 May 8, 2010
Fanonymous wrote:
It's official. The only people who are allowed to have opinions of Detroit are as follows:
1) People who live in Detroit [sucks to be you]
2) People who were born/grew up in Detroit [Sucks a little less to be you]
3) People who started watching the NHL within the past 3 years and picked Detroit as their team because they win a lot and get 90% of the non-cable TV NHL coverage.[no one cares what you think]
4) People who don't mind the Detroit trash coming into their cities/bars/websites/forums/bl ogs etc and getting their tampons in a bunch because you "talked smack" about them.
Do we really want Columbus littered with their trash? They've already destroyed 1 city, they'll do it again.
Wow you are so clever. I am sorry for you that know one cares about the Columbus Blue Jackets. Do they even care in Columbus? Do the Columbus players even care about Columbus? They probably wish they were Red Wings.
chris

New York, NY

#23 May 8, 2010
or maybe its the fact in the past three years detroit has played more games than any other team in the league.. a columbus fan wouldnt understand that ( that was a jab at arce not fans that arent as ignorant as this tool of a writer.)
chris

New York, NY

#24 May 8, 2010
Gokiburi wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll spare you the usual responses to the Wings-beating-Jackets spiel bar one:
You all act like you NEVER EVER EVER EVER had a bad period in your history EVER. That said, it's not like the 70s and 80s and were glowing decades for your team, now was it?
I'm also going to pass on commenting on the OSU fans behavior. I do not give two sh!ts about Ohio State football and the behavior of some of the supporters is absolutely disgusting, usually the drunken jerkholes.
However. If you Wings fans are so saintly at Nationwide, why did a Red Wings fan dump a beer on my thirteen-year-old self at a game for supporting the Jackets? I'd just gotten a Nash sweater (this was 2002 and I was so proud I'd saved up for it myself since sources of income are a bit hard to come by at age 12/13) and managed to get it signed literally the day before and some unknown Wings fan threw a beer on me (security didn't catch it; I was joking around with my dad who'd brought me to a game for a birthday present and suddenly I smelled like cat pee, I was drenched and a cup rolled to a stop in front of me. My dad was absolutely thrilled). At Nationwide, nonetheless.
Dumping beers on tweens is a FINE example of class, of course.
There's a load more I'd rather not get into detail with either (intentionally kicking my sodas over, my dad's beers met the same fate, a box of popcorn a friend and I had at another birthday game a few years later, insults directed at my appearance, etc.). The best part is that this has stopped since I started looking like I'd graduated high school and then they switched focus to younger kids. I've seen a Wings fan curse out a 10 year old in language I wouldn't use around a 30 year old.
Have I had awesome hockey discussions with sober, intelligent, witty Wings fans? Yeah, of course, and I'm sure there's more of the decent kind of fan than the winos (there always are). But your winos are probably the most classless things I've had to interact with at a sporting event.
Pot, I'd like you to meet my friend Mr. Kettle. Keep up the picking on little girls, though. Because it's the epitome of class and manliness.
Oh, wait.
could not have said it better myself lucky for me i live in columbus ( sarcasim)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Bertuzzi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Players worry if Winter Classic is cut, season ... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Jim beam 1
Sharks Take 2-0 Series Lead With 2-1 Win Over R... (May '11) May '11 Gomer 1
Red Wings' Mike Modano talks about wrist injury... (Nov '10) Nov '10 leave a comment 1
Steve Moore says he's angry over change in his ... (Mar '07) Jul '10 DEV STARR 78
Michael Arace commentary: Detroit is old, and o... (May '10) May '10 Fish 56
Jackets rattled by referees' calls in 4-3 loss ... (Apr '10) Apr '10 feces for jesus 2
Red Wings 3, Blue Jackets 2: Tough loss to take... (Apr '10) Apr '10 sore losers 2
More from around the web