Vokoun back in goal for Florida Panthers

Vokoun back in goal for Florida Panthers

There are 37 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 7, 2008, titled Vokoun back in goal for Florida Panthers. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Panthers goalie Craig Anderson's shutout streak is gone, now so is his consecutive starts streak.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fire Martin

Pompano Beach, FL

#1 Mar 7, 2008
Vokoun starting... after a 3 game win streak, 2 goals allowed in 3 games., and the starting goaltender in the last 4 wins has been Anderson... I'm speechless...
WIN OR LOSE, FIRE MARTIN - this guy is a trainwreck
The Beezer

New Orleans, LA

#2 Mar 7, 2008
Fire Martin wrote:
Vokoun starting... after a 3 game win streak, 2 goals allowed in 3 games., and the starting goaltender in the last 4 wins has been Anderson... I'm speechless...
WIN OR LOSE, FIRE MARTIN - this guy is a trainwreck
I agree 100%. Vokoun has done a great job and is an NHL All-Star and thanks to Jacques the Joke, he burnt him out. Why didn't he play Anderson more throughout the year? Sure this week off may have rejuvinated Tomas but why not ride a good thing? What did Anderson do to invoke this decision? Only win 3 straight and give up only 2 goals out of about 133 shots on goal. And those 2 goals from arguably the most offensively talented team in the league. I do hope Vokoun has a great game on Saturday, but I cannot understand this decision. Jacques the Joke states that Anderson has done a "good" job." A "good" job?? Good??? How about awesome, great, phenomenal?? Jacques the Joke has about as much personality, enthusiasm, and motivational skills as a rock sitting in my front yard. Put a random inanimate rock on the Panther's bench and you'll have a better coach than what we have now. I agree with your posts....FIRE MARTIN NOW ALAN COHEN!!!!!!!!!!
The Undeniable Truth

Apopka, FL

#3 Mar 7, 2008
You had to know this decision was coming, since it's consistent with all the bad decisions JM has made before. The truth is Vokoun is getting paid to be the starter, and JM needs to continue to make himself look good regarding acquiring him. However, we should expect the leash to be short and if Vokoun struggles tomorrow, Anderson will be back in net for the next game. The only chance this team has is to go 10-2 down the stretch, while beating Carolina and Washington each time in regulation. Yeah, right. Say goodnight...again. Pathetic.
Fire Martin

Pompano Beach, FL

#4 Mar 7, 2008
The Beezer wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree 100%. Vokoun has done a great job and is an NHL All-Star and thanks to Jacques the Joke, he burnt him out. Why didn't he play Anderson more throughout the year? Sure this week off may have rejuvinated Tomas but why not ride a good thing? What did Anderson do to invoke this decision? Only win 3 straight and give up only 2 goals out of about 133 shots on goal. And those 2 goals from arguably the most offensively talented team in the league. I do hope Vokoun has a great game on Saturday, but I cannot understand this decision. Jacques the Joke states that Anderson has done a "good" job." A "good" job?? Good??? How about awesome, great, phenomenal?? Jacques the Joke has about as much personality, enthusiasm, and motivational skills as a rock sitting in my front yard. Put a random inanimate rock on the Panther's bench and you'll have a better coach than what we have now. I agree with your posts....FIRE MARTIN NOW ALAN COHEN!!!!!!!!!!
Another reason to Fire Martin... reports out of Canada are that Kilger will not report at all this year. neither will that 3rd round pick... I hope Vokoun wins as well, he's a great goalie,and a real leader in the locker room (unlike his coach). As far as Cohen goes. I think he got a raw deal with Martin, he's been patient, and I don't think it really matters if he fires him now or after the last game of the season (which will happen unless by some miracle they make the playoffs... which they won't).. What I'm afraid of is that Martin will remain in any capacity, particularly GM. He needs to go. The Kilger trade, the bad signings, and his inability to develop good talent (Horton should score 30 to 40 goals by now).. Martin must go.
Not Sure

Cottage Grove, MN

#5 Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, things are going good so it's time to change it up a bit and bring on another losing streak. Is there a bigger idiot out there than Martin (besides your president that is)?
The Beezer

New Orleans, LA

#6 Mar 7, 2008
Fire Martin wrote:
<quoted text> Another reason to Fire Martin... reports out of Canada are that Kilger will not report at all this year. neither will that 3rd round pick... I hope Vokoun wins as well, he's a great goalie,and a real leader in the locker room (unlike his coach). As far as Cohen goes. I think he got a raw deal with Martin, he's been patient, and I don't think it really matters if he fires him now or after the last game of the season (which will happen unless by some miracle they make the playoffs... which they won't).. What I'm afraid of is that Martin will remain in any capacity, particularly GM. He needs to go. The Kilger trade, the bad signings, and his inability to develop good talent (Horton should score 30 to 40 goals by now).. Martin must go.
When we fail to make the playoffs for the 8th year in a row, I really hope Alan Cohen does not keep Jacques the Joke around in ANY capacity. Not coach, not GM, not waterboy, not BAC toilet scrubber, not BAC parking lot attendant....nothing! Get rid of this dead weight and hire someone with enthusiasm, fire, drive, etc. You can tell Olli is fed up with this slab of concrete as a coach. Look at the Richard Zednik incident....Buffalo's coach Lindsey Ruff showed more emotion toward the incident than did our joke of a coach. He sat there like a cold slab of concrete showing no emotion on his face when interviewed of the incident. Please Alan Cohen, for the sake of this franchise, dump this joke of a coach/GM you hired. Your players have NO MOTIVATION to play for this concrete slab!
bleh

United States

#7 Mar 7, 2008
Bring back Doug MacLean!
Warren Cold Buffet

New Orleans, LA

#8 Mar 8, 2008
I'd like to buy the Panthers, but they have no present and no future.....no dradt picks left...hmmm...NO
RED BARON

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Mar 8, 2008
Why does Martin do the opposite of what the rest of the league does?

Every franchise in the league knows that the GM\coach combo role doesn't work so what does Martin do? He insists on doing it.

Every hockey coach in the world knows that you stay with the hot goaltender until he goes cold. It figures we get stuck with the one idiot in the league who uses his goaltender salary as a decision on who to play. Makes sense right? LOL

Every coach rewards their team with a day off after a hardfought comeback victory. Our coach rewards the team with a day off after blowing critical games they were winning and then decided to lose.

Every GM knows that before you make a trade you check the medical and mental background of the player you are trading for. Our GM doesn't do any due diligence and we lose a 3rd round pick for nothing. If you think it doesn't matter, Detriot has turned a few of their 3rd and 4th round picks into top line players and even All-Stars.

Every coach knows that you play to strengths of your roster. If you have quick players you play an up-tempo game. If you have grinders you play dump-and-chase. If you have a solid defense you play a defense first style of play. We do the exact opposite on all accounts.

Every coach knows that when you find a line that works and has chemistry you don't break it up. Martin insists on juggling lines all season long (even during games) preventing any chance for chemistry to build on ANY line.

Every coach uses their best scorers on a shootout. Martin uses players that don't even have double-digits in points for the season and often can't even get the puck on net. What is the logic behind that?

The more I look at it, the more Martin appears to be totally incompetent. This guy is just clueless and it shows. To add to the frustration, he doesn't interview well, has limited people skills, and appears to have alienated many top players on our roster. His lack of emotion doesn't help either. When I see Tampa's coach and our coach they are as opposite as night and day. What value add is Martin bringing to this team right now? Frankly, I just don't see it. If Cohen holds on to him for next season, I guess it is safe to say that Cohen enjoys having non-performing assets on his payroll.
Mr Obvious

Hollywood, FL

#10 Mar 8, 2008
Martin is GONE at the end of the year. Can't tell ya how I know...just know.

BTW, for all you [email protected] who keep complaining about the "draft pick" we no longer have. We got Vokoun for it. Judging by the way ole Pie Face uses draft picks...This was a way better selection.

BTW, he actually was LUCKY to spin that lousy Bertuzzi deal into Matthias...so, fair is fair. Ya think Detroit would like to have that deal back?!

THAT BEING SAID...Martin is an emotionless loser, who has basically hung his OWN team out to dry. He wanted to dump Jokinen becasue he doesn't "get along with him". He is PATHETIC at choosing players for the shoot out, which is directly responsible for numerous points LOST. He is MORE than resposible for these two goal lead/and lose the game situations..due to the fact he can't lead the team properly in finishing off the opponent.

I've heard Doug McClean, Larry Robinson, Bob Hartley, and Gord Murphy for management roles for this team...YES..ANY or any combination of the above.

Also, don't give me this Joe Niewendyke business. He doesn't want the job, he's happy doing some traveling on the teams doal...I personally wouldn't even keep him around.
Paul

Miami, FL

#12 Mar 8, 2008
Not Sure wrote:
Yeah, things are going good so it's time to change it up a bit and bring on another losing streak. Is there a bigger idiot out there than Martin (besides your president that is)?
Yes, YOU!
Pierce

Cumming, GA

#13 Mar 8, 2008
A start against the Thrashers at home for Vouchon is fine than he can have two more weeks off, I think Anderson has earned his right to start permanently
Pierce

Cumming, GA

#14 Mar 8, 2008
Not Sure wrote:
AMEN!!!!!!!!your right GWB is retarded, Martin does not make any sense
KEEP MARTIN

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Mar 8, 2008
Vokoun's a better goalie than Anderson. He should get the start.

You people kill me. JM comes in w/a 4-5 year plan to build the franchise's back from the gutted shell of an AHL franchise to something resembling respectability and you want to can him before he's even done.

I think we forget exactly how much this team USED to suck... We're not going to turn around that mess in a couple years...
vic b

New Orleans, LA

#16 Mar 8, 2008
I agree totally with the Red Barons comments and I can say little more.Constant line juggling,inappropriate shootout selections,wrong players in at critical moments etc.Martin is not the guy for the job.Mr Pie Face must go!!
Rat Boy

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#18 Mar 8, 2008
Vokoun is the starting goalie. It's a good time to get him back in net. A whole week off is plenty of time for rest for a goalie. Let him get back in there while the team is playing well.
The Beezer

Boca Raton, FL

#19 Mar 8, 2008
KEEP MARTIN wrote:
Vokoun's a better goalie than Anderson. He should get the start.
You people kill me. JM comes in w/a 4-5 year plan to build the franchise's back from the gutted shell of an AHL franchise to something resembling respectability and you want to can him before he's even done.
I think we forget exactly how much this team USED to suck... We're not going to turn around that mess in a couple years...
Oh really? Then tell me something, how bad was Philly last year? Worse record than us, I believe last in the East. After some solid personnel moves in the off-season Philly now currently sits in the 8th and final playoff spot...ahead of Jacques the Joke's team. So don't tell me we can't turn it around in 1 year, Philly did it. They went from last to currently the 8th seed. You sound like you are preaching from Jaques's book of excuses. We are sick of the excuses. Dump Jacques the Joke NOW and bring in someone with fire in his belly. Doug Maclean and Gord Murphy taking over sounds much better than the gutless, emotionless, concrete slab, non-motivating slug of a coach we've got now. Good job Jacques the Joke, just keep inserting Steve Montador and Ville Peltonen in those shoot-outs. They just keep lighting the lamp on those shoot-outs. CLUELESS!!!!
Captain

Pompano Beach, FL

#20 Mar 8, 2008
This should be an interesting game. Does Vokoun get his own shutout streak started? Does he play well? Does he let in a few softies and the team falls apart? Does the team play with the same desire and fire of the last game? The pressure is on Vokoun. I like the Skrastins and Belak moves by Martin... If Martin can show that Leafs knew that Kilger wouldn't show they may have a case against the Leafs but the Canadian papers always play the Leafs as favorites over even other Canadian teams. So don't expect the Toronto based media to be truthful when it comes to the Leafs. Unless they swear in a court of law no one on the Leafs will claim they has any knowledge of Kilger being a no show but bring out lawyers for a deposition and it may be different. Ferguson is free to talk what the Leafs knew and when they knew it.
Captain

Pompano Beach, FL

#21 Mar 8, 2008
Doug Maclean won because the team was set up before him by Roger Nielson. In Columbus he stunk. No Doug Maclean please he would be terrible.
JimH

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#22 Mar 8, 2008
In Columbus he wasn't coach, either (unless on an interim basis). Why he was picked to be a GM after two seasons as a coach is beyond me.

Back to the starting goalie thing: One thing you don't want to do is wait until Anderson loses a game befor putting Vokoun back in. The goal is to not lose at all :)

I think that now is a good time to get him back in the net. He's the better goalie, just lately he wasn't showing it. Whether that's fatigue or the team in front of him I don't know. Still, Anderson had a heck of a run (he got his team back to .500) and that makes Vokoun's leash very short.

The team is playing better in front of the goal. With Weiss, Dvorak, and Allen back, it's good to go back to the starting goalie before he gets mental about how long he's been out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ruslan Salei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stream online Minnesota Wild vs Colorado Avalanche (Dec '09) Dec '09 Craig T Nelson 1
News Blocking ultimate sacrifice for Panthers (Dec '07) Dec '08 Wait a Minute 18
News Martin's future as Panthers coach, GM in question (Mar '08) Apr '08 Rich in Ann Arbor 65
News Panthers make deadline deals with Avs, Leafs (Feb '08) Feb '08 Stuu 11
News Panthers suffer biggest loss of season (Feb '08) Feb '08 JimH 78
News Late losses 'getting mental' (Feb '08) Feb '08 Now READ This 36
News Fight night ends on sour note as Olesz is injured (Jan '08) Jan '08 chyeah 43
More from around the web