Plane Carrying Hockey Team Crashes North of Moscow, Killing 44 Players and Staff

Sep 7, 2011 Full story: nycaviation.com 10
A jet transporting the KHL's Lokomotiv Yaroslavl hockey team crashed during takeoff in a city north of Moscow on Wednesday, killing all but one of the team's players, including a number of former NHL stars. Read more
Steven Connelly

Wayne, NJ

#1 Sep 7, 2011
Terrible
dodi

Toronto, Canada

#2 Sep 7, 2011
it has been a very bad year for hockey. with all the travelling that sports teams do it's only a matter of time.
NHL Fan

United States

#3 Sep 8, 2011
Where do you apply for a job with one of the teams?
I here there are plenty of openings.
Kind of big

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Sep 8, 2011
2 survivors

Drudge report has not picked up on this yet for what ever reason
joeybagofdonuts

Fredonia, NY

#5 Sep 8, 2011
My heart sank when I read that in the paper this morning.
joeybagofdonuts

Fredonia, NY

#6 Sep 8, 2011
NHL Fan wrote:
Where do you apply for a job with one of the teams?
I here there are plenty of openings.
You call you're self an NHL fan...you are a f#€king idiot!

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#7 Sep 8, 2011
joeybagofdonuts wrote:
My heart sank when I read that in the paper this morning.
I felt the sameway...very sad...:(

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#8 Sep 10, 2011
I won't suggest it's a good thing, but one thing that will make this easier for everyone is that the crash *affected* everyone. Every team, every fanbase, every player in every hockey playing country knew at least one of those who died. In this accident, everyone shared the same experience and is feeling the same hurt. That will make dealing with it a lot easier, and people will be more willing to talk about it, and to each other.

This is a far better situation than it is for someone like German football goalkeeper Markus Miller, who recently went into therapy. He suffered a mental breakdown after the 2009 suicide of his teammate, Robert Enke, because he never received proper counselling after Enke's death.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#9 Sep 10, 2011
P_Smith wrote:
I won't suggest it's a good thing, but one thing that will make this easier for everyone is that the crash *affected* everyone. Every team, every fanbase, every player in every hockey playing country knew at least one of those who died. In this accident, everyone shared the same experience and is feeling the same hurt. That will make dealing with it a lot easier, and people will be more willing to talk about it, and to each other.
This is a far better situation than it is for someone like German football goalkeeper Markus Miller, who recently went into therapy. He suffered a mental breakdown after the 2009 suicide of his teammate, Robert Enke, because he never received proper counselling after Enke's death.
This is an excellant post...very well thought out...yet VERY sad...I do want to say, it's VERY sad, that both Mr. Enke and Mr. Miller, didn't receive the help they both so VERY much needed...what a VERY sad situation...Thanks for this post...no lol
OldCapt

Harbiye, Turkey

#10 Sep 11, 2011
The YAK-40 has one of the worst safety records in the world. It makes the Comet 1 look good. I'm not sure what's up but flying in any of the former USSR states is particularly risky regardless of the type of aircraft.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ruslan Salei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stream online Minnesota Wild vs Colorado Avalanche (Dec '09) Dec '09 Craig T Nelson 1
News Blocking ultimate sacrifice for Panthers (Dec '07) Dec '08 Wait a Minute 18
News Martin's future as Panthers coach, GM in question (Mar '08) Apr '08 Rich in Ann Arbor 65
News Vokoun back in goal for Florida Panthers (Mar '08) Mar '08 Briere 37
News Panthers make deadline deals with Avs, Leafs (Feb '08) Feb '08 Stuu 11
News Panthers suffer biggest loss of season (Feb '08) Feb '08 JimH 78
News Late losses 'getting mental' (Feb '08) Feb '08 Now READ This 36
More from around the web