Islanders, Rangers brawl at Nassau Coliseum -

Full story: Newsday 172
It would have been better if the first Islanders-Rangers melee of the new season had been set in old Commack Arena because it evoked images of a typical fight night for John Brophy and the Long Island Ducks. Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
transplanted Islander fan

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Sep 25, 2007
let the games begin. Go isles rags S U C K.
Tim

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Sep 25, 2007
"You don't want to see that much fisticuffs in hockey," Isles coach Ted Nolan said.

Everyone does but you Teddy. Stop being such a snizz.
New Season

Radcliff, KY

#4 Sep 25, 2007
Oh baby! Great way to get it started. Gotta love pummeling those rangers. Great game, the way hockey should be all the time. Maybe then their ratings would go up. Hope the Isles continue this action during the reg season.
Fleming

Chesterfield, MO

#5 Sep 25, 2007
Sutton is such a tough guy. What is Callahan about 5'7" and 150 pounds.
Typical Islander crap. No talent so lets give elbows to the head. Should be a long season on the island.
matt potvin

Spring Valley, NY

#6 Sep 25, 2007
cool.
joe s

Pearl River, NY

#7 Sep 25, 2007
Only a white trash franchise like the Islanders would welcome a criminal like Simon onto their team.
larryg

Rego Park, NY

#8 Sep 25, 2007
About time we see some guts on Long Island. I am tired of all the dirty crap, the Strangers get away with. The Strangers and cheap shot artists, who now want to cry, when it's time to pay the piper. Good job Simon, Sutton, and DP. It's payback time, and the best Islander Hockey I've seen in years! You want ratings, go back to this old time hockey and take no crap!!!
Keep up this type of game, and I buy back my season tickets.
Mooooooose

United States

#9 Sep 25, 2007
joe s wrote:
Only a white trash franchise like the Islanders would welcome a criminal like Simon onto their team.
...he played on the rangers before he played on the islanders dumbass
Mooooooose

United States

#10 Sep 25, 2007
Fleming wrote:
Typical Islander crap. No talent so lets give elbows to the head. Should be a long season on the island.
Ohh lets cry because we're a bunch of european sissies who can't take a hit. Everyone was cheap shotting tonight, grow a pair and get over it
Bee

Raleigh, NC

#11 Sep 25, 2007
Fleming wrote:
I guess you haven't watched the Rangers much. They've always picked up scumbags such as Domi, Barnaby, Purinton, Avery, Poeschek You know - all guys that played dirty on a daily basis - always going out of their way to fight a smaller guy like Blake or instead cross-checking a smaller guy in the back of the head. The Rangers have spent so much money b/f the cap they should've won 5 Stanley Cups the past 15 years, but no, they've always had aholes on their team that underachieved. Easily the most classless team in all of sports, only topped by the classless jackasses that are in the upper deck. Every time the Islanders beat the Rangers in the Garden Ranger fans would try to attack us unprovoked. This has happened at least 5 different times. Pathetic all the way around describes the NY Rangers.
Confused

Syosset, NY

#12 Sep 25, 2007
Oh yes, we look like such a civilized society. A picture of two people fighting and a crowd of fans happily cheering them on. I love hockey, but I wish it could just be hockey. The fights are pathetic. No other contact sport has even 10% of the fights that hockey does. Most of the fights are planned/orchestrated for the fans, many of whom seem to eat it up.
NormG

Fremont, CA

#13 Sep 25, 2007
Hockey is no longer a sport, it's a brawl and the players are no longer sportsman they are streetfighters that make millions. Throw away the helmets, hockey sticks & pucks what do you have. A game of fighters. I'm ashamed of hockey anymore, and the whole league should be ashamed also. The game is rough and the refs should be given tasers to break up a fight(s). The players (fighters) should be fined and thrown out of the game, then the sport might clean up.
joe s

Pearl River, NY

#14 Sep 25, 2007
Mooooooose wrote:
<quoted text>
...he played on the rangers before he played on the islanders dumbass
He didn't try to decapitate a player before he joined or while he was on the Rangers genius.

How many games until Nolan starts complaining about refs and you Isles lemmings follow his cry?
Nicky Fotiu

Annandale, VA

#15 Sep 25, 2007
What a great game, and as someone who has HATED the Islanders my entire life, I mist give THEM tons of credit forallowing the game to be televised (albeit with the radio audio) on NHL CenterIce Online!!

Orr beat on Sutton, after Sutton hammered Callahan with a high hit, early in the game... Simon got a huge left in on Orr, after Orr was winning a fight against him, a bit later... Even Thomas Pock got into the action winning a decision against Hillburt...

Brennan won a decision over Strudwick, and Sutton out muscled Brandon Dubinsky in another scrap... DiPietro went down in the fight against Montoya, but then got on top of the Ranger netminder and threw some big punches, while on top...

PreSeason panemonium in Uniondale! The rivalry has the intesity it had about 25 years ago, and that is a GREAT THING!!

Hopefully, it stays that way...

Let's go Rangers!!!
PCR

Elmsford, NY

#16 Sep 25, 2007
Let's hope the Isles can be competitive enough to matter this year. Rangers will finish 1st.
Nicky Fotiu

Annandale, VA

#17 Sep 25, 2007
Oh, and by the way, all of the pansy LIBERALS, crying about the fighting need to stop watching hockey and start watching TENNIS!!! What the heck happened to the state of NY and Long Island (where I grew up)???

Hockey isn't all about fighting, but it is a tough sport and at times the intensity boils over, and players drop the gloves and go at it... It happens... Get over it, and STOP WHINING ABOUT IT!

It's been in the game, and will CONTINUE to be a part of the game!

People that understand the sport of hockey, understand why fighting is tolerated. People that do not, just whine and cry about it!
Hillary Muff

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Sep 25, 2007
so, Norm, hockey WAS a sport when? There is less fighting now than there ever was.
Eddie

United States

#19 Sep 25, 2007
Never watched hockey before 1990 Norm? This is the way the sport always was. Its about time it got back to it's roots. A good night for Gordie Howe was a goal, an assist and a fight. Hockey actually used to have bench clearing brawls on a regular basis before the NHL banned it. Teams stood up for eachother before the Europeans showed up. Good to see some old time hockey

Since: Jun 07

Oceanside, NY

#20 Sep 25, 2007
joe s wrote:
I guess you don't follow the Rangers enough to justify shooting your mouth off. Typical.
LIAM

New Milford, NJ

#21 Sep 25, 2007
Fighting has and always will be a part of the game! Great to see the old style of hockey back last night. Let these guys police themselves. As long as nobody is swinging sticks and just using their hands, nobody gets seriously hurt. Take fighting out of the game and injuries are bound to go up. Real hockey fans realize this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Radek Martinek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Islanders veteran added to Blue Jackets' blue l... (Jul '11) Jul '11 JakeCBJ 6
Islanders veteran added to Blue Jackets' blue l... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Cincy Blows 5
Blue Jackets sign defenseman Martinek to one-ye... (Jul '11) Jul '11 ramseyjames 10
Dallas Stars at New York Islanders preview (Jan '10) Jan '10 Quirk 1
New York Islanders vs Philadelphia Flyers watch... (Dec '09) Dec '09 Craig T Nelson 2
Live streaming Toronto Maple Leafs vs New York ... (Nov '09) Nov '09 DEV STARR 4
Islanders lose season finale to Boston, 6-2 (Apr '09) Apr '09 Islanders Fan 12
More from around the web