No ignoring Avery's impact -

Full story: Newsday 31
Warm-ups just aren't as much fun as they used to be. Back in the old days, 10 days ago, it was always worth watching to see what mayhem Sean Avery could cause a half hour before the opening faceoff. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sskier

United States

#22 Nov 20, 2007
Hey Ranger fans, who's your daddy???? King Rick!!!!! Your King Henry is Queen Henry against the Islanders. You can't the Islanders. It must kill you that the one team you hate more than any other you can't beat. And Avery is a puke that the Islnaders swat away like an annoying knat. Try as the loser might to annoy the Islanders doesn;t work.
You can spend all the money Dolan has but it won;t help you beat the Islanders!!!!!!!!!! TOO BAD.
islesfan

Lovelock, NV

#24 Nov 20, 2007
All the time that I spend telling my sons that there is no place in sports for trash talking, and Sean Avery provides the best object lesson. I have great respect for the guy who "pesters" other teams with hard hits (Steve Webb), or highlight reel goals (Al Ovechkin), or even the guy who is always bumping into you or taking the puck no matter what you are doing (Jason Blake). When you have a guy who yaps constantly, then whines about unfair treatment, that's a guy who belongs in the NBA, not the NHL!

I would love to see Brendan Witt drop the gloves with Avery but there are two problems with that:
1. Avery is too much of a coward to go with Witt
2. Witt is so much more valuable that to lose Witt for Avery for 5 is not a fair tradeoff. Kinda' like trading your queen for a pawn.

“Edmonton is still not forgiven”

Since: Jul 07

Albuquerque NM

#25 Nov 20, 2007
amw wrote:
are you kidding me? do you just wake up in the morning and say "hmmmm...how can i tick of islanders fans today?". first the al arbour garbage, then questioning whether the island needs a team, now lauding that lizard rat. get this guy out of newsday
amw
You are way off base here.
First off, Mark Herrmann, had nothing to do with the "Al Arbour" garbage. That was Baumbach.
In fact, Mark wrote a GREAT article about Arbour, pointing out, quite correctly that if it was not for Arbour, we might not be talking about the "ISLANDers" right now.

Secondly, how is this article an "insult" to Islander fans?
Look at the headline of the article and take it for what it's worth.
Simple fact is, there is NO ignoring Avery. For better or worse.
That's a simple fact.

Thank God you don't skate for the Isles, cuz it is clear to see that the mere mention of the word "Avery" has sent you off for 2 minutes.

Which is precisely the gist of Hermann's article.

“Edmonton is still not forgiven”

Since: Jul 07

Albuquerque NM

#26 Nov 20, 2007
islesfan,

"I would love to see Brendan Witt drop the gloves with Avery but there are two problems with that"

Just suffice to say that "No you wouldn't".
That's Avery's game.
And, as we have seen 3X this year already, when the Isles do not play Avery's game, the Isles win.(Although, DP suckered in last night, but the Isles dodged that bullet).

In fact the Isles stayed out of Avery's game so well last night that Avery suckered himself into 8 minutes in the box, and quite possibly killed his own team's chances at a tie or win.

Old saying, that given enough rope, every idiot will hang himself.
Rest assured that at some point this year, Renney will be looking for a tall tree.
Just like every other coach that Avery has played for has done.

It's cute and home crowd pleasing for awhile, but when the losses start piling up because of it....well at some point Avery will find himself spending more time on the Hollywood Red Carpet than on the frozen pond.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
goislesgo105

Wappingers Falls, NY

#27 Nov 20, 2007
So Mark Herrmann thinks that Sean Avery is the "most compelling figure on Garden ice". HUH???? The Rangers have free agents Scott Gomez and Chris Drury, all stars J.Jagr and BrendanShanahan, a great rookie defenseman in one of the Staal brothers, one of the best young goalies in the league and SEAN AVERY is "the most compelling figure on Garden ice"?????? Either Glen Sather doesn't know anything about hockey or Mark, your an idiot, just like Sean Avery!!!!
Islander505

AOL

#28 Nov 20, 2007
goislesgo105

"So Mark Herrmann thinks that Sean Avery is the "most compelling figure on Garden ice". HUH????"

I tend to agree with Mark here, my fellow Islander fan. Except for an occasional prop to Henrik, the only player that bloggers, reporters, Trautwig and Maven ever talk about is Avery.
Heck, with Avery's recent appearance on the Hollywood Red Carpet, his failed love life with Cuthbert and his dismissal by Hilton, as well as his People Magazine Sexy Man award, if your were to ask an 18 year old giggling Volleyball player in West Texas to "name a NY Ranger", she would most definitely be COMPELLED to name Sean Avery.
Now, on the other hand, if you were to ask a middle aged male, standing in the shadow of the Montreal Forum to "name a NY Ranger" he would probably be INCLINED to name Henrik Lundqvist.

But have no fear, Celine Dion is coming to MSG in September 2008, so, at least for an evening, Avery will NOT be the most COMPELLING figure on Garden ice.

And as far as your comment:
"Either Glen Sather doesn't know anything about hockey"
Are you talking about the same Glen Sather that cleaned out an Edmonton team in the early 90's?
Well, I think "either" is the correct answer.
Mike77NY

White Plains, NY

#29 Nov 21, 2007
It's only a matter of time before his team mates are sick of him taking stupid penalties what is going to cost them the game. it happened before.Other then that who cares, every team has a player like that is one way or the other.
Cam Neeley

Medford, NY

#30 Nov 21, 2007
Marcel Hossa wrote:
I dunno what happen. I looky at face-off, I see puck go right by me. I see Fedotenko skate faster than me. I sheet in my pants. I watch Lundqvist get beat five hole. I see Renney drop tear from eye. Jagr spit on me on bench. Gomez steal my taco from lunch box. We blew it.
LOL!!! So true!!!
Avery sucks

Valley Stream, NY

#31 Nov 21, 2007
What an overrated bastard. He only scores goals because he knocks people down illegally and then makes fun of people with cancer. I hope he dies a horrible death.
Jesus H Christ

Medford, NY

#32 Nov 23, 2007
Mike77NY wrote:
It's only a matter of time before his team mates are sick of him taking stupid penalties what is going to cost them the game. it happened before.Other then that who cares, every team has a player like that is one way or the other.
I agree.

“Politically Incorrect ”

Since: Dec 06

Burlington, NC

#33 Nov 26, 2007
Impact? OH! You mean "Influence"! Now I get it.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Radek Martinek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Islanders veteran added to Blue Jackets' blue l... (Jul '11) Jul '11 JakeCBJ 6
Islanders veteran added to Blue Jackets' blue l... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Cincy Blows 5
Blue Jackets sign defenseman Martinek to one-ye... (Jul '11) Jul '11 ramseyjames 10
Dallas Stars at New York Islanders preview (Jan '10) Jan '10 Quirk 1
New York Islanders vs Philadelphia Flyers watch... (Dec '09) Dec '09 Craig T Nelson 2
Live streaming Toronto Maple Leafs vs New York ... (Nov '09) Nov '09 DEV STARR 4
Islanders lose season finale to Boston, 6-2 (Apr '09) Apr '09 Islanders Fan 12

Radek Martinek People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE