Outdoor game special, but Chicago Blackhawks' playoff run remar...

There are 17 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 16, 2009, titled Outdoor game special, but Chicago Blackhawks' playoff run remar.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The New Year's Day game at Wrigley Field , so full of meaning and emotion and fresh air at the time, feels rather small now.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Bryan

Ashland, KY

#1 May 16, 2009
Yes the blackhawks are a up coming team, with a lot of potential. Yet they still don't have what it takes to hang with the wings. They are way to deep, and not to mention all the playoff experience. As for the hawks winning the last two meeting in the season series, who cares, at that point both teams were locked into their playoffs spots, those games were pointless and the wings played soft not to risk injuries. hawk fans sorry but this isn't your year, wings in five.
Feces For Jesus

AOL

#2 May 16, 2009
another fan who thinks they have a crystal ball.
adam

State College, PA

#3 May 16, 2009
I keep hearing about the Hawks solid D. I guess that's the solid D that slowed the powerhouse offenses of Calgary and Vancouver. Oh yeah, they're both average on offense making Chicago look good. I had Duncan Keith on my fantasy team all season and he was a distant 3rd on my depth chart, yet I keep reading he's suddenly become awesome. Nothing like hype and homers.
big blue

Chapel Hill, TN

#4 May 17, 2009
Don"t drink the kool-aid. The blackhawks are just 4 months older. Just be happy they didn"t have to play the Ducks or they would be home watching!!! They are great, but also very young and will have to beat the best to be the best and our a ways off!
Thome the Softball Player

Chicago, IL

#5 May 17, 2009
Let's Go Red Wings!!!
ChiCity

San Diego, CA

#6 May 17, 2009
adam wrote:
I keep hearing about the Hawks solid D. I guess that's the solid D that slowed the powerhouse offenses of Calgary and Vancouver. Oh yeah, they're both average on offense making Chicago look good. I had Duncan Keith on my fantasy team all season and he was a distant 3rd on my depth chart, yet I keep reading he's suddenly become awesome. Nothing like hype and homers.
Hey Adam, Watch Keith,Seabrook and Campbell Hit and skate around that Old, Experienced Wings team. I am keeping your Horrible post till after the series by they way so PLEASE come back.
ChiCity

Chicago, IL

#7 May 17, 2009
First it was Calgary, One of the hottest teams in the NHL, Tough, Great Goaltending. Hawks Cant beat them. Hawks in 6.

Vancouver, Hot team, Vet Prescence, One of the hottest if not best goaltenders in all of Hockey. Hawks in 6.

Now its the wings. Old, Experienced, Decent Goaltending, Home Ice. Hawks In 6.
DetfaninOrlando

Orlando, FL

#8 May 17, 2009
One of the biggest differences between the two teams is that Detroit's primary offensive threats are also shut-down, backchecking, defensive forces-to-be-reconned with. I don't anyone will confuse Kane as a defensive forward. Towes, Havlat, and Sharp are a bit better, but none of them are of the caliber of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, or Franzen.

Not only does Detroit have the better overall defensive core, they have more help from their forwards.
ChiCity

Lewisville, TX

#9 May 17, 2009
Sure the Hawks are young with Kane,Toews,Versteeg,Barker,Lad d etc but they also have Havlat,Keith,Campbell,Seabrook and the Bulin Wall etc etc. This team is too fast, Too Young, has too fresh of legs, Great offensively and very good defensively. The Wings have a couple of shooters some "Hit Men" and Experience.

Last time i looked the Hawks all have At Least 12 Games Experience in the playoffs as well. A series with home Ice and a series without for good measure. Going to be a great series. If anyone thinks the Hawks will get blown out, they are either smoking Crack or dont know the Game.
andy

Downers Grove, IL

#10 May 17, 2009
I totally agree with you. The kids definitely showed us something last game. I thought the hawks would not make it past the second round, but I was wrong. Right now anything is possible. GO HAWKS!
flo

Franklin, IN

#11 May 17, 2009
The Wings are a great team. However,it is NOT impossible to knock them off. If you have been watching the last couple of years, the Hawks have made the case that they are an up and coming Cup contender. A friend of mine recently told me that the Hawks are one year away. I say they are 8 WINS away.......GO HAWKS!!!!
Rowan

United States

#12 May 17, 2009
ChiCity, you’ve got some major revisionist history going there.“First it was Calgary, One of the hottest teams in the NHL, Tough, Great Goaltending.” Calgary finished the season 4-6; speculation was that Kiprusoff was worn out, having played 76 regular-season games; and the Flames had injuries problems, notabley Regehr, Phaneuf, and Sarich on D. Vancouver, okay. But Chicago was better all season than the Canucks. I don’t think their easy series with St. Louis necessarily helped them, and they also got hit by injuries--with Sundin, Salo, and Demitra. Not having to face the Sharks, Ducks, or Wings until the conference final was great luck of the draw for Chicago. Those teams are all better then Calgary or Vancouver. Maybe it won’t matter, or maybe this series will be a startling wake-up call for the Hawks. Who knows?
The Realist

Mountain View, CA

#13 May 17, 2009
Rowan wrote:
ChiCity, you’ve got some major revisionist history going there.“First it was Calgary, One of the hottest teams in the NHL, Tough, Great Goaltending.” Calgary finished the season 4-6; speculation was that Kiprusoff was worn out, having played 76 regular-season games; and the Flames had injuries problems, notabley Regehr, Phaneuf, and Sarich on D. Vancouver, okay. But Chicago was better all season than the Canucks. I don’t think their easy series with St. Louis necessarily helped them, and they also got hit by injuries--with Sundin, Salo, and Demitra. Not having to face the Sharks, Ducks, or Wings until the conference final was great luck of the draw for Chicago. Those teams are all better then Calgary or Vancouver. Maybe it won’t matter, or maybe this series will be a startling wake-up call for the Hawks. Who knows?
Everything you mention was out of the Hawks' control...injuries, tired goalies, first round playoff opponents, etc.

Doesn't diminish the eight wins at all.

You probably think Super Bowl XX was tainted because the Bears didn't play Miami.

Young Hawks over old Wings in six. The torch gets passed.
Jeff

United States

#14 May 17, 2009
If the Hawks couldn't beat Detroit at Wrigley, they can't beat them any where! Red Wings may lose one game in this series--maybe.
Rowan

United States

#15 May 17, 2009
Realist, I'm not diminishing the Hawks; I'm saying they were the better team going into the Calgary series, and they also took advantage of a slightly hobbled team. Heck, I picked Chicago in my hockey pool to come out of the first round. ChiCity was acting like the Hawks were some tragic underdogs who defied everyone's expectations in winning. Not so.

Since: May 09

Las Vegas, NV

#16 May 18, 2009
I agree with you ChiCity!
First it was Calgary, One of the hottest teams in the NHL, Tough, Great Goaltending. Hawks Cant beat them. Hawks in 6.

Vancouver, Hot team, Vet Prescence, One of the hottest if not best goaltenders in all of Hockey. Hawks in 6.

Now its the wings. Old, Experienced, Decent Goaltending, Home Ice. Hawks In 6.

Since: May 09

Las Vegas, NV

#17 May 18, 2009
Bryan? How about Hawks in 4 instead?
We'll see....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pavel Datsyuk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBC Sports Announces This Weekend's NHL Hockey ... Mar '15 stewart scott 2
News NBC hockey broadcaster Mike Emrick excited to c... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Marissa 2 2
News Datsyuk's Russian apartment broken into, $45K w... (Sep '13) Dec '13 Ramunas 3
News Linus Omark: Why Detroit Red Wings Should Aggre... (Dec '12) Dec '12 omark 1
News Life After Niklas Lidstrom: How Will the Detroi... (May '12) May '12 I will miss u 1
News Red Wings try to keep up road success in Montreal (Jan '12) Jan '12 nickand99 1
News Red Wings rout Sabres for 7th straight victory (Dec '11) Dec '11 Andrea Fields 4
More from around the web