Wings let Chelios go

Wings let Chelios go

There are 19 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 22, 2009, titled Wings let Chelios go. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Chris Chelios ' playing days with the Detroit Red Wings are over. General manager Ken Holland met with the defenseman on Monday and thanked him for his 10 years of service with the club.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Pete the Plumber

Lake Zurich, IL

#1 Jun 22, 2009
Sign for a PR gig. He can do TV or something. Just do not have him bring Kid Rock along, although, Kid Rock is one heck of a musician/singer.
LWHJR1

Rockford, IL

#2 Jun 22, 2009
$1 contract, retire as a Hawk.
Doc

Crest Hill, IL

#3 Jun 23, 2009
Pete the Plumber wrote:
Kid Rock is one heck of a musician/singer.
lol.

Hang them up, Cheli. And please don't put him on staff in Chicago. There are enough puppeteers on staff and no one wants to hear Chelios booed when he's introduced during the on-ice ceremony.
oh yes i do

Des Plaines, IL

#4 Jun 23, 2009
booing chelios wood be the only way to go. you say why because this tool brought the stanley cup to wrigley field and he does not play for the blackhawks. no one in chicago wants to see another teams player show the stanley cup to chicago fans we dont care if the red wings won the cup chelios!! when he signed to play for detroit he was no longer a blackhawk and that did not have to be but chelios lied about it and said i will never play for the wings YA RIGHT CHELIOS.
YOU CAN RETIRE NOW .
Tony

Clermont, FL

#5 Jun 23, 2009
Call it a day Chris....
BFM

Wood Dale, IL

#6 Jun 23, 2009
A lot of players on Stanley Cup winning teams take the Cup home with them. Chicago is Chelios's home. He wasn't trying to rub it in or anything. Do you think if the Hawks win the Cup Patrick Kane is going to run around Chicago when he get his turn with it? He'd be dragging the damn thing all over Buffalo. Lighten up people. We sit here as fans and say "I never would have left the Hawks or played for the hated Wings". Truth is, nobody knows what they would do if they were both lucky enough and talented enough to ever have that choice in front of them.
Time has finally caught up with this freak of nature. I would like to see him retire as a Blackhawk if they can manage it without him ever seeing the ice.
MR KENNEDY

Rensselaer, IN

#7 Jun 23, 2009
NO WAY,I never want to see this guy on the ice as a Hawk.Only in a visitor sweater.Look at the tape from last year when he crossed check Kaner about fifty times and nothing called.Forget this guy,go with the kids.
Bubba

Chicago, IL

#8 Jun 23, 2009
Need the cap space for an able body. Sorry Cheli
Chico17

La Crosse, WI

#9 Jun 23, 2009
There are most certainly better D men available than Chelios. Ten years is a long time to be in Detroit. Most young fans would not remember his days with the Hawks anyway. He is a native Chicagoan and a Badger which I personally like, but his days on the ice as an NHLer are certainly over. I don't see how he could be an "ambassador" in the vein of Hull, Mikita, Tony O, Dennis Savard, etc. I don't think the fan base would accept him. Stay away from him for a while. "Honor" him too soon and it will be too publicity driven.
KirkBlackHawk

Campbellton, Canada

#10 Jun 23, 2009
Sign him yes, as an assistant coach/player, to work with the young D and train them how to stick check like the Wangs do. Even as a fourth line forward.
MR KENNEDY

Rensselaer, IN

#11 Jun 23, 2009
Chico is right,the Hawks fans did not care for Chelly running around town with the cup.I would guess that Hawks brass is smarter than this given the fan base is back.Why turn it sour now?This is just the paper trying to stir something up .
scooby

Addison, IL

#12 Jun 23, 2009
wonder if he tramped around in detroit looking for young poon like he did here after the games.
BFM

Wood Dale, IL

#13 Jun 23, 2009
MR KENNEDY wrote:
NO WAY,I never want to see this guy on the ice as a Hawk.Only in a visitor sweater.Look at the tape from last year when he crossed check Kaner about fifty times and nothing called.Forget this guy,go with the kids.
Correct. Chelios has no place on our up and coming team, but not because he'll cross check somebody multiple times. Hell, I'd like to see the Hawks get Pronger for that very reason. Nice guys finish last, especially in hockey.

I agree with Chico. Have one of those two-bit "Heritage Nights" for him in 2012. Then he can also be presented with AARP's "Man of the Year" award.
Dee

Madison, WI

#14 Jun 23, 2009
scooby wrote:
wonder if he tramped around in detroit looking for young poon like he did here after the games.
Dude, don't be jealous, that's the first thing I would do if I made it to the pros in any sport, you know you would too, it's not wrong to admit it.
scooby

Addison, IL

#15 Jun 23, 2009
Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, don't be jealous, that's the first thing I would do if I made it to the pros in any sport, you know you would too, it's not wrong to admit it.
Problem is he was doing this while married with children. Little bit of a difference doncha think??
Disgusted

Calumet City, IL

#16 Jun 24, 2009
scooby wrote:
I hope he was successful. I can't remember the last time young poon wasn't repulsed by me.
KirkBlackHawk

Campbellton, Canada

#17 Jun 24, 2009
Hopefully his family dont read your dribble.
scooby

Addison, IL

#18 Jun 24, 2009
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope he was successful. I can't remember the last time young poon wasn't repulsed by me.
From what I witnessed on 2 different occasions. he was :-)
Michael Hess

Batavia, IL

#19 Jul 1, 2009
BFM wrote:
A lot of players on Stanley Cup winning teams take the Cup home with them. Chicago is Chelios's home. He wasn't trying to rub it in or anything. Do you think if the Hawks win the Cup Patrick Kane is going to run around Chicago when he get his turn with it? He'd be dragging the damn thing all over Buffalo. Lighten up people. We sit here as fans and say "I never would have left the Hawks or played for the hated Wings". Truth is, nobody knows what they would do if they were both lucky enough and talented enough to ever have that choice in front of them.
Time has finally caught up with this freak of nature. I would like to see him retire as a Blackhawk if they can manage it without him ever seeing the ice.
Well said. People forget that Chelios wanted to a contract extension with the Blackhawks when he was still with the team. The team felt he was a the end of his career at 36. Sadly enough, he has officially played more seasons as a Wing than as a Hawk. People forget how loyal he was to this team. He wanted to retire a Blackhawk! These are facts, not opinions. We boo Chris because we loved him. It hurt to see him in the dreaded Dead Things Jersey! It was best for Chris that he went to Detroit. He would have just gotten more burned out playing for a team that was going nowhere til the old man died. I'm a Chris Chelios fan. He gave everything he had to the Blackhawks and to their fans. He loves this town. It's his home, now and forever. We are fortunate that a future NHL hall of famer is home grown right here in Chicago. It's just a shame we couldn't build a winning team around him when we had the chance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Niklas Kronwall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Helene Elliott: Brawl, bizarre goal are black m... (Jan '14) Jan '14 daco grande 3
News Detroit Red Wings' Ian White on commissioner Ga... (Nov '12) Dec '12 KingHockeyMan 5
News NHLers play in charity game, deepen their resol... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Edward Jones 1
News Detroit Red Wings: Johan Franzen's Growing Hate... (Mar '12) Mar '12 stevepicker 2
News Red Wings try to keep up road success in Montreal (Jan '12) Jan '12 nickand99 1
News NHL Predictions: Detroit Red Wings Will Be Soli... (Aug '11) Sep '11 wings fan 2
News Why trade for Brad Stuart has helped Wings' eli... (May '08) Apr '10 Detrocks 7
More from around the web