Islanders want fans to hurry up and wait

Islanders want fans to hurry up and wait

There are 60 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 21, 2009, titled Islanders want fans to hurry up and wait. In it, Newsday reports that:

By all means, just be patient. This is the message the Islanders keep sending to their fans with trades such as the one they made Friday for a late first-round draft pick who probably won't be in the National ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
DanNOLA

Newport News, VA

#44 Feb 22, 2009
Ugh, well this column was a waste of my time. You speak of patience. Well, I have none for your drivel. We've been as patient as possible over the last few years reguarding the Lighthouse, and now we would like to see the shovels in the ground. Also, we see how the process for success has gone for teams like the Lightning of the years before they won their Stanley Cup or the current Caps and Pens (even though the Pens have underachieved this season), and how it hasn't for teams like Colorado and the Rangers. I will be patient for the Isles on the ice this year. You can't just go out and spend 6mil + for a superdud (or 3) and think it's what you need to do. Then end up potentially miserable for years when the cap stops going up because the economy has gone to Hell and your stuck with the worst D-man in the league on your books for 6.5 for 5 more years.
NYRfan

Wallkill, NY

#45 Feb 22, 2009
Double-standard wrote:
Drury, Gomez and Smyth all got front-loaded contracts.
Rangers just traded a guy last week who was said in the paper he could not wait to get off the team when he got to Minnesota.
Sundin wanted no part of the Rags either.
Newsday and especially Herrmann loves going negative on the Islanders, scared to death of going negative on Dolan or the Rags and he's a card-carrying fans of them.
Look what happened when the lead editor wrote something negative on the Knicks, he almost quit or was fired and was off the job during a presidential inauguration with other staff members who walked out.
Newsday cannot be trusted for honest hockey coverage.
Smyth took less to go to Colorado. Dan Fritsche, the guy who was traded, does not deserve to be in the NHL, he struggles on the fourth line cant play special teams at all. Sundin, well he took 8 million dollars for a team that will not make it out of the first round, had he joined the Rangers his production would have been better and maybe the standings would look different.
NYRfan

Wallkill, NY

#46 Feb 22, 2009
Islander fan in Boston wrote:
Trade Guerin to the Rangers for a 1st or 2nd rd pick in other 2009 or 2010 draft.
That would never happen. Guerin is worth a third rounder at best.
Not exactly

Port Washington, NY

#48 Feb 22, 2009
Kanasas City here I come wrote:
hahaha
pretty funny how Wang took the Japanese and Chienese kids to NYC.
To skate at Wollmen rink and go past MSG.
What's the matter Chuck? Eisenhower park no good ?
lol
Nah, the Asian cuisine is better in the city.
Tavares09

Philadelphia, PA

#49 Feb 22, 2009
Mike wrote:
You guys above me called out Herrman's flaws just as I would have, so I won't repeat what was said to bash this idiot writer.
However, I have my own bone to pick. Herrman says "Comrie for McAmmond is a wash". I say, "Did you watch last night's game??"
McAmmond skated hard, won majority of faceoffs, played physical, was accountable in the defensive zone, wasn't a show off, and put a hard wrist shot on net. All of that puts McAmmond on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from Comrie. Guerin hated Comrie, and already Guerin is praising McAmmond and talking about what a good guy he is in the locker room from playing with him in Edmonton.
This trade looks better and better...suck it Herrman.
He means its a wash because neither of them will be with the team next year and neither have anything to do with the team's plan for the future.
Tavares09

Philadelphia, PA

#50 Feb 22, 2009
Hale wrote:
did you ever think for a second that a high one and the numrous picks in the second round this gives them a chance to move down more in the draft if they like a player at 12 or 15?? you are the mike comrie of "journalists"
Think for a second. If you're a team that owns any pick in the low teens, that means you need that pick to make your team better, unless you're a strong team who got it by trade. What would a team in that position have to gain from trading down by that many spots just to add 2 late first/early second rounders instead of 1 mid first and 1 mid second rounder. Isles are set with San Jose's fate the rest of the season and hopefully they will fall in the standings down the stretch and get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs.

John Tavares or Viktor Hedman will be our cornerstone next season. Kyle Okposo got more ice-time last night than ANY other forward for a reason. He trusts Gordon's system and thrives within it. He's 20 by the way. Bailey is putting up a solid points total for a 19 year old rookie a few months removed from junior hockey. Fran Nielsen is putting up improved numbers as well. However, neither Okposo or Bailey will be a Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin.

As for free agents...make a run at Komisarek and Higgins from Montreal. The fact that they know LI well could supercede the fact that our facilities are a handicap to luring talent.

There are exciting possibilities out there for the fans looking towards rebuilding
David Volek

United States

#51 Feb 23, 2009
Tavares09 wrote:
<quoted text>
Think for a second. If you're a team that owns any pick in the low teens, that means you need that pick to make your team better, unless you're a strong team who got it by trade. What would a team in that position have to gain from trading down by that many spots just to add 2 late first/early second rounders instead of 1 mid first and 1 mid second rounder. Isles are set with San Jose's fate the rest of the season and hopefully they will fall in the standings down the stretch and get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs.
John Tavares or Viktor Hedman will be our cornerstone next season. Kyle Okposo got more ice-time last night than ANY other forward for a reason. He trusts Gordon's system and thrives within it. He's 20 by the way. Bailey is putting up a solid points total for a 19 year old rookie a few months removed from junior hockey. Fran Nielsen is putting up improved numbers as well. However, neither Okposo or Bailey will be a Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin.
As for free agents...make a run at Komisarek and Higgins from Montreal. The fact that they know LI well could supercede the fact that our facilities are a handicap to luring talent.
There are exciting possibilities out there for the fans looking towards rebuilding
I agree with you on going after Komisarek and Higgins......both are great, and SHOULD be playing for the isles.

I heard Butch Goring on TV say that the isles have good young talent up front and he thinks they should go after Victor Hedman. He said that he felt every team needs that "anchor". He makes sense, but the isles havent had an elite sniper since Palffy. On the flip side, they said this Hedman kid is a cross between Lidstrom and Pronger.......which definately doesnt suck.

Has anyone else noticed the pure talent that Okposo has been displaying? This kid is 20 years old and makes a difference EVERY TIME he is on the ice. Still not sold on him playing the point on the PP, but thats another story. Also Frans Nielson has been looking great this year......pleasant surprise. Who would have thought three years ago that he was gonna be more of an asset than Jeff Tambaweeny???
David Volek

United States

#52 Feb 23, 2009
NYRfan wrote:
<quoted text>
That would never happen. Guerin is worth a third rounder at best.
I read people talk about Guerin all the time as if he is washed up?? Bill Guerin was never a 50 goal scorer. He's a 25-30 goal guy, who is the best Captain the isles have had for over 10 years. As a Ranger fan, surely you remember what it used to mean to be a captain/leader, and the importance of it.

Isles will not trade Guerin or Weight. Both will return next year (in my opinion).
Hale

Bristol, CT

#53 Feb 23, 2009
Tavares09 wrote:
<quoted text>
Think for a second. If you're a team that owns any pick in the low teens, that means you need that pick to make your team better, unless you're a strong team who got it by trade. What would a team in that position have to gain from trading down by that many spots just to add 2 late first/early second rounders instead of 1 mid first and 1 mid second rounder. Isles are set with San Jose's fate the rest of the season and hopefully they will fall in the standings down the stretch and get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs.
John Tavares or Viktor Hedman will be our cornerstone next season. Kyle Okposo got more ice-time last night than ANY other forward for a reason. He trusts Gordon's system and thrives within it. He's 20 by the way. Bailey is putting up a solid points total for a 19 year old rookie a few months removed from junior hockey. Fran Nielsen is putting up improved numbers as well. However, neither Okposo or Bailey will be a Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin.
As for free agents...make a run at Komisarek and Higgins from Montreal. The fact that they know LI well could supercede the fact that our facilities are a handicap to luring talent.
There are exciting possibilities out there for the fans looking towards rebuilding
look at the past drafts...its not hard to move down 10 spots
Dump Kate Murray

New York, NY

#54 Feb 23, 2009
Great job by the fans booing Murray the Kate when her pre-taped message went on the scoreboard.There was so much swearing and cursing at her in my section,that for a minute I thought I was in Clancy's pool room rather than an Islander's game.The only thing missing would have been for the song"Evil Woman" by ELO to be played on the loudspeakers after they took her face off the scoreboard.

“she may be a murderer, but....”

Since: Dec 07

she'll ensure U cant prove it

#55 Feb 23, 2009
remember when Bryan Berard was a rookie after Milbury obtained him for Wade Redden ? after winning the Calder, he was destroyed by Rick Bowness. Getting the first pick is one thing, how he fits into your system is another.
kallur

Andes, NY

#56 Feb 23, 2009
Herman's right. Let's do some math: last year we had six picks in the first two rounds? That has to yield four NHLers over the next three years, correct? We have this year's number one, a very low pick, that's guaranteed to be a legitimate NHLer, if not a bonafide star. We have Nielsen, Comeau, Okposo, Bailey (I believe that's three former #1 picks), we have Richard Park, Trent Hunter and even Andy Hilbert as a valuable fourth-liner. Jury's out on Tambellini, but let's put him into the mix. And let's say for argument's sake Bergenheim is traded somewhere down the road. That still leaves us with 12-13 young forwards, not counting the unrestricted free agents we could sign. And we're trading Campoli, age 25, for a #1 pick? To wait three years for someone who almost certainly won't be better? If there's not room for Campoli in your system, then something in your system is wrong.
DR NO

Savannah, GA

#57 Feb 23, 2009
Mark a broken clock is at least right twice a day.
What's your excuse..
Clem

AOL

#58 Feb 23, 2009
4CUPS80S wrote:
<quoted text>Why did the TOH schedule this hearing in the morning when most of us have a job to attend to? I'd love to attend but who can afford to take off from work these days? Scheduling hearings at these times is a LIRR or LIPA ploy. Whenever there is a proposed rate or fare increase that has to be discussed and put to the public, they schedule these hearings in the middle of a work day knowing most people are working and will not be able to have their say or right to argue against it. I can see the TOH arguing against this project by the lack of people in attendence to support it 'cause people are at work. This project is too big of an issue and should be scheduled at 8pm so the majority of people can attend and support it.
I agree 110%
Clem

AOL

#59 Feb 23, 2009
OnlyAsGoodAsYour LastCup wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea and then Gretzky will make a comeback and Potvin, Smitty, Nystrom, Arbour behind the bench, Henning will leave the booth.
Hahaha you fool !
Get out of here Troll!
Tavares09

Philadelphia, PA

#60 Feb 23, 2009
kallur wrote:
Herman's right. Let's do some math: last year we had six picks in the first two rounds? That has to yield four NHLers over the next three years, correct? We have this year's number one, a very low pick, that's guaranteed to be a legitimate NHLer, if not a bonafide star. We have Nielsen, Comeau, Okposo, Bailey (I believe that's three former #1 picks), we have Richard Park, Trent Hunter and even Andy Hilbert as a valuable fourth-liner. Jury's out on Tambellini, but let's put him into the mix. And let's say for argument's sake Bergenheim is traded somewhere down the road. That still leaves us with 12-13 young forwards, not counting the unrestricted free agents we could sign. And we're trading Campoli, age 25, for a #1 pick? To wait three years for someone who almost certainly won't be better? If there's not room for Campoli in your system, then something in your system is wrong.
The Islanders DO have 2 things that a contender needs. A great 4th line (Park-Hilbert-Bergenheim) and some great young players. They just them to develop and they HAVE to add at least ONE free agent that can make an immediate difference. Garth proved this off-season that it doesn't have to be a big name. Streit has been lighting it up this year for us and is on pace to score the same pts for a last-place team as he did for a playoff team last year.
Tavares09

Philadelphia, PA

#61 Feb 23, 2009
kallur wrote:
Herman's right. Let's do some math: last year we had six picks in the first two rounds? That has to yield four NHLers over the next three years, correct? We have this year's number one, a very low pick, that's guaranteed to be a legitimate NHLer, if not a bonafide star. We have Nielsen, Comeau, Okposo, Bailey (I believe that's three former #1 picks), we have Richard Park, Trent Hunter and even Andy Hilbert as a valuable fourth-liner. Jury's out on Tambellini, but let's put him into the mix. And let's say for argument's sake Bergenheim is traded somewhere down the road. That still leaves us with 12-13 young forwards, not counting the unrestricted free agents we could sign. And we're trading Campoli, age 25, for a #1 pick? To wait three years for someone who almost certainly won't be better? If there's not room for Campoli in your system, then something in your system is wrong.
Campoli was a defenseman who couldn't play defense. Being 25 has nothing to do with how good he is or could be. Plus, if you want to look at it another way...we traded a 7th round pick who can't play D and plays a role that is already filled on the team for a 1st round pick.

I don't buy the "didn't fit into the system crap" though. Every system can win if the players are willing to work within it. Campoli, himself, was not willing to work within it so I say dump him. At least this way the team we have is headed in one direction instead of several like in past years.
kallur

Andes, NY

#62 Feb 24, 2009
Tavares09 wrote:
<quoted text>
we traded a 7th round pick who can't play D and plays a role that is already filled on the team for a 1st round pick.
I don't buy the "didn't fit into the system **** " though. Every system can win if the players are willing to work within it. Campoli, himself, was not willing to work within it so I say dump him. At least this way the team we have is headed in one direction instead of several like in past years.
I still say, just watch: Campoli will be an excellent offensive D-man in the NHL in a year or two, just like Streit. As for the trade, constantly getting number ones: at some point you stop. Or all you have is prospects. I'm reminded of the scene in the Beatles HELP, with the Beatles reviewing the receiving line at some airport, and after every person on line shakes the Beatles hands, he waits a second, then ducks down, peels off behind the receiving line, pops up at the end, and shakes the Beatles hands again. I.E: the receiving line never ends. What's the plan? Trade Neilsen in a year for a number one pick? Gervais? I understand not all trades/draft picks work out. But if you do your homework, you make your picks, make some clever trades (John LeClair jumps to mind (at least I didn't say Rick Middleton)) and ANY team that's on the bottom should within four years be able to get to the Stanley Cupt semi-finals. See Chicago.
kallur

Andes, NY

#63 Feb 24, 2009
Tavares09 wrote:
<quoted text>
we traded a 7th round pick
I do not buy that argument. Luc Robitaille (and I think Zetterberg as well) was something like 250 overall. You don't trade either, as a 25-year-old, with the explanation we just got a first-rounder for a seventh.
Confused in Nasau

Stratford, CT

#64 Feb 24, 2009
Taking all things into account, the Islanders are headed in the right direction (granted they can't get much lower?!?). Much like the other readers, I grew up with Bossy, Trots, Jethro, Potvin and Smitty. I was in the building when Nystrom beat Peeters for the Cup, when Bossy scored his 50th in 50, when the Islanders won their 15th in a row, when the Isles swept the Oilers for number 4... I would love to be able to continue to add to these memories, but the Town of Hempstead is making it impossible.

Considering they are not asking for help rebuilding the Coliseum, it is time to let Wang modernize central Nassau and create a dearth of desperately needed jobs to revitalize this aging community. Although I have issues with creating this much more retail space with the glut of vacant commercial real estate along Hempstead TPKE, 107, and the glut of major bankruptcies accuring, LI, the first true major suburban community is getting stale and dated(much like the Islanders.) We need to renovate this community to move into the 21st Century (Hello, we are already there!!!). I could go on ad infinitum, but Wang has both the Islanders and Long Island's best interests at heart. The Lighthouse project has always seemed like a phenomenal idea for LI. I am sad to see that they have already nixed the potentailly iconical centerpiece of this project, but the freaking politicians of LI need to stop dragging their feet on a project that will revitalize this area in so many ways. Free agents may even see it as an attractive place to play. Further, MSG loves the revenue the Islanders provide. Under any other name in any other city, this team would never generate a $35 million tv deal. And who wants to kill the Islander -Ranger rivalry?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Comrie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Isles' Comrie also recovering from hip surgery (Sep '08) Jan '13 Lisa 10
News Mike Comrie retires from NHL after undergoing t... (Feb '12) Feb '12 candyee 1
News Pittsburgh Penguins Are On Fire: But a Question... (Dec '10) Jan '11 Marissa 2 14
News Hilary Duff engaged to NHL player (Feb '10) Feb '10 soWhat 1
News Pieces falling into place for refreshed Oilers (Oct '09) Oct '09 Jack Tupp 2
News Oilers sign Mike Comrie (Sep '09) Sep '09 Jack Tupp 1
News Heatley? Hell no (Jun '09) Jun '09 Jack Tupp 1
More from around the web