As season slides, discontent brews: G...

As season slides, discontent brews: Gordon's dealing with veter...

There are 48 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 1, 2009, titled As season slides, discontent brews: Gordon's dealing with veter.... In it, Newsday reports that:

For much of this last-place season, several players say, the Islanders have been a team divided by rookie coach Scott Gordon and his focus on developing young players while showing a lack of respect for ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Fran

Trenton, NJ

#42 Mar 1, 2009
"Every time we'd blow a lead, he'd always come in and say,'It wasn't because of the system. Don't tell the media that's how we gave up the lead.' He's said it numerous times."
LOL
Change the system you dumb Gording fisherman, you are not made of Redwing players! its not rocket science.

“Hoping LI moves past the 70's”

Since: Feb 08

Long Island

#43 Mar 2, 2009
Jay wrote:
Ok, so there are no direct comments or quotes linked to players. Do you seriously think players want to be quoted for talking negatively about their coach or management? No, they don't! No player wants to be fined and lose ice time. It'll only happen after a player has been traded.
<quoted text>
A good point- but the guys who have been traded have either said they were disappointed with themselves or how frustrating it was to deal with all the Islanders injuries.
NYRfan

Wallkill, NY

#44 Mar 2, 2009
TheMetalChick wrote:
They are a last place team giving ice time to inexperienced kids. Of COURSE there is going to be some discontent- why in the world wouldnt there be? These guys wanted to win and they arent. If they were happy as pie being in 30th place what would that say about their character?
If these vets were thrilled with this situation they would be branded heartless players looking forward to their paychecks and their golf games. An article like this is not looking at this situation objectively.
BS everybody including the Isles knew this season was to finsih last so they could win the John Tavares sweepstakes. Come on the signs are there. Fired Nolan, Blake leaves, DP sits out the year when he probably could have played the end of the season, etc.
Mike

Bronx, NY

#45 Mar 2, 2009
John wrote:
The last two paragraphs and that last quote says it all. Do not under estimate that quote.
What happens is that word gets around to other veterans around the league during free agency period that are stupid enough to even consider playing in this dump and unstable organization (Plus as if 9 coaches in the last 10 years doesn't tell you about the instability here).
I'm a die hard and an objective fan unlike a lot of the Islanders fans who are blinded with their Islanders "everything is great and dandy" goggles. But if I was a free agent this summer, I would never want to play for this organization with the instability here and now hearing this about Gordon.
No one is going to want to play here.
Gordon has been Mr. Cover-up all season long and the rest of the organization was forced into playing the game because of what Gordon started early in the season with all the stuff about the overrated DiPietro. He's now playing the CYA (cover your ****) game in this piece to protect himself with his continued denials.
Go ahead fans, blast me for being objective, but this is the truth.
Where have you been- It's been 15 years since any decent free agents wanted to come here...this is nothing new- This team has been grossly mis-managed for 15 years and it's well known around the league- They had it right and were on track with Ted Nolan as coach..players would come and play for him- A smart GM who has a clue would realize Ted Nolan's value and would have locked him up to a long term contract to atleast bait some good players into wanting to play here- instead, he fires a great coach, lets free agents sign everywhere else and then hires a minor league coach who should be coaching college- It's a joke-
chris

Charlotte, NC

#46 Mar 2, 2009
who cares, just pick up and move the team already. It is made up of a bunch of loosers. It is owned by a computer geak who never even watched, let alone played hockey (or any other sport); is in a rink that is worse than the little league rink i played in; develops players from poorly located minor league teams; and is located in Nassau County. What else is there to say, but please move them to Kansas where they can go back to the infamous Gordon's Fisherman logo.
Hockey Fan

Stamford, CT

#47 Mar 2, 2009
My guess is there is some truth to the issues in the locker room; just like most stories there are two sides and truth is somewhere in the middle. I am not anti-Gordon, but he needs to realize he is not in the AHL any longer. If he expects his players to be professional, then he better be professional as well. The players also need to act professional. There are growing pains for both sides.

The biggest issue the Islanders organization has, is the lack of a true scorer. They have NO sniper. Until they have added at least two guaranteed 25 goals scorers, they are not going to improve no matter what is going on in the locker room.

“Hoping LI moves past the 70's”

Since: Feb 08

Long Island

#48 Mar 2, 2009
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Where have you been- It's been 15 years since any decent free agents wanted to come here-
Yeah... I mean, who would call one of the top scoring defensemen in the league for two seasons decent? Right?

Give me a ****ing BREAK with this already. Its the same ****, people are so used to typing it that they just say it without even looking at what the hell is going on.
aka

Brooklyn, NY

#49 Mar 2, 2009
TheMetalChick wrote:
<quoted text>
The Islanders are not good this year- wow, really? Thanks for that revelation. Now that you have broken that earth-shattering news, please do the following: Go have a conversation on a Rangers board, with no Islanders fans around at all, and see how many of them honestly agree with you that the Islanders "will not be good." See how much they rag on the Isles current and upcoming prospects. See whether they laugh at the contracts that the Islanders have when compared to those on their own team. See if they still think they won picking Redden over Streit. See which team THEY think is going in a better long term direction with thought of the future. And like I said, please do it when there are only Rangers fans around to talk about it. See, I have lots of Rangers fans friends myself- so I know what many of them will say when they arent posturing as is charactareistically done on Newsday article commentaries.
But you probably know all of this already. This is more than likely just another example of the aforementioned posturing.

Hey MC, wow, aren't you aware that the guy from Bellmore, with hundreds of different names that you replied to is a RANGERS fan?
You would be better off in the future to just ignore his posts, like most everybody else does!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Comrie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Isles' Comrie also recovering from hip surgery (Sep '08) Jan '13 Lisa 10
News Mike Comrie retires from NHL after undergoing t... (Feb '12) Feb '12 candyee 1
News Pittsburgh Penguins Are On Fire: But a Question... (Dec '10) Jan '11 Marissa 2 14
News Hilary Duff engaged to NHL player (Feb '10) Feb '10 soWhat 1
News Pieces falling into place for refreshed Oilers (Oct '09) Oct '09 Jack Tupp 2
News Oilers sign Mike Comrie (Sep '09) Sep '09 Jack Tupp 1
News Heatley? Hell no (Jun '09) Jun '09 Jack Tupp 1
More from around the web