Wang encouraged by play from Islander...

Wang encouraged by play from Islanders prospects -- Sports, Lon...

There are 14 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 5, 2008, titled Wang encouraged by play from Islanders prospects -- Sports, Lon.... In it, Newsday reports that:

The Islanders gambled big last season, trading for Ryan Smyth , only to see it blow up in their faces when he and several other free agents walked away from them last July, taking a good chunk of the offense.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Jay

United States

#1 Apr 5, 2008
I would like to be the first NY Islander fan to thank owner Charles Wang and general manager Garth Snow for another disappointing season. Stop unloading and trading away drafts to rebuilding a struggling franchise. Here's my advice for next season.

1. Sign free agents and draft selections who can score goals. Averaging 2.36 GF for the season is pathetic! Highest goal scorer on the team had 23. That's awful! Spending money helps, hint hint!

2. Rick DiPierto is a solid goalie but a below .500 record and 2.82 GAA ain't gunna cut it. Bench time may spark better play. Wade Dubielewicz looks hungry for paying time!

3. Only and I repeat "only" keep players with heart and who want to play for the NY Islander's organization.

4. Bring in talent for Kyle Okposo because this kid has skills and is a future cornerstone for the Islander's franchise.

Patrick

Denver, CO

#2 Apr 5, 2008
Jay wrote:
I would like to be the first NY Islander fan to thank owner Charles Wang and general manager Garth Snow for another disappointing season. Stop unloading and trading away drafts to rebuilding a struggling franchise. Here's my advice for next season.
1. Sign free agents and draft selections who can score goals. Averaging 2.36 GF for the season is pathetic! Highest goal scorer on the team had 23. That's awful! Spending money helps, hint hint!
2. Rick DiPierto is a solid goalie but a below .500 record and 2.82 GAA ain't gunna cut it. Bench time may spark better play. Wade Dubielewicz looks hungry for paying time!
3. Only and I repeat "only" keep players with heart and who want to play for the NY Islander's organization.
4. Bring in talent for Kyle Okposo because this kid has skills and is a future cornerstone for the Islander's franchise.
What the Islanders NEED is to get a player of Ovie or Crosby status, VIA the Draft. When a orginization has that young stud, amazing how alot of the FA then want to go play there.

If I was a player who was about to become a FA I would head straight for The Pens. I think Okposo has been doing great; however we will have to wait and see if he is a great player.

I am and have always been very unimpressed with Dp from the very beggining. I really want to like the Isles Goalie but something keeps me from really liking him. I definitly like Dubie better and He is no number 1.

Here is to 8%!!!
We deserve a top Pick and by that I mean no lower than 2, oh please Hockey Gods do the Islanders a solid.
George Bush

Shanghai, China

#3 Apr 6, 2008
I agree with Patrick!

After being unlucky for so many years, maybe this is the year the Hockey Gods finally smile on the Islanders. Here's hoping the Isles get Steve Stamkos. After trading away so much talent, the cupboard is bare. We need to reload with young talent and then be PATIENT.
SJM

AOL

#4 Apr 6, 2008
Attention WANG & SNOW & COMPANY....if you don't learn from previous mistakes, you're doomed to repeat them...ENOUGH with trading away young players & prospects...it's time to rebuild through the draft. Although we'll need to be patient and probably suffer a few more losing seasons, at least there's a plan in place and you can see it develop. It's the only way the Isles will ever turn around.
Concerned fan

Bronx, NY

#5 Apr 6, 2008
Looks like he's running the team the same way he ran his company, right into the ground
transplanted Islander fan

Mineola, NY

#6 Apr 6, 2008
talk about the blind leading the blind Charlie Tuna and Garth snowman are perfect examples. Neither has a clue of what to do to rebuild this once proud franchise. Maybe Ted should be coach, GM and owner then maybe something positive will happen for a change. Oh yeah BTW get rid of hole in the gpalie DP he syx.!!!!!!!!!
Bobbygarz

AOL

#7 Apr 6, 2008
I am totally confused about Ted Nolan. if he is such a great players coach why did so many free agents leave last summer? He's definately not a super x's and o's coach. More of a rah rah guy. his asst. coaches have never won at any level.
If you're gonna build from the draft, fine. You need a teaching coach and that's not Ted. As far as asst. coaches go there's one guy in that organization who has 7 rings,,3 as an asst. coach..Put Trot's on the bench as an asst. coach PLEEZE!!!
Mad Mike

Hicksville, NY

#9 Apr 6, 2008
This Okposo kid looks solid...I bet we could get a couple of 7th round picks and a player to be named later for him!
Grim Reaper

Glen Cove, NY

#10 Apr 6, 2008
Can this paper kiss the ass of this team any more than they already do? It's absolutely ridiculous! Analysts that actually know what they are talking about on CBC were saying how they would rather be just about any bottom dwelling team but the Islanders. The team sucks...after you guys predict how well they are going to do at the beginning of the season, and you are still trying to blow sunshine up my ass. Get over it! Let's not sugarcoat things, the Islanders totally sucked this season!
Bring Back KJ

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Apr 6, 2008
Once again, Logan drinks up whatever kool-aid the team gives him and spit it back.
Okposo is their ONLY young player considered a real prospect. Bergenheim played 80 games and had 20 points. Comeau played over 50 games and had 8 goals. Tambellini is too good for AHL, not good enough for NHL. Youth movement? Please.
Stop with this already. And stop buying all this PR spin that this somehow should be put on Nolan.
Snow put together a crappy team, took chances on too many guys, signed no sure things to replace all the goals that walked out the door last summer. Ted and DP had them OVERachieving all season until the final month when the injuries were too much to bear.
Tom Evans

New Milford, CT

#12 Apr 6, 2008
Bring Back KJ wrote:
Once again, Logan drinks up whatever kool-aid the team gives him and spit it back.
Okposo is their ONLY young player considered a real prospect. Bergenheim played 80 games and had 20 points. Comeau played over 50 games and had 8 goals. Tambellini is too good for AHL, not good enough for NHL. Youth movement? Please.
Stop with this already. And stop buying all this PR spin that this somehow should be put on Nolan.
Snow put together a crappy team, took chances on too many guys, signed no sure things to replace all the goals that walked out the door last summer. Ted and DP had them OVERachieving all season until the final month when the injuries were too much to bear.
Geez if I remember correctly, this team was in the thick of the playoff race until early March before 5 of there top 6 D were injured and 4 other forwards got injured.

The talk on here makes it seems like they were awful all year like the Lightning or Kings or something.

They 100% need a scorer, somewhere from someone. But I think Bergenheim is going to be a great pest for years to come (Chris Neil, Sean Avery type)+ he's what 21, 22?

Okposo could be another Iginla type, time will only tell, he's 19.

Comeau, is probably a 3rd liner, but again he's 23?

THe team is moving in the right direction a non-playoff year doesn't mean the team has hit rock-bottom! Again a ton of injuries down the stretch wiped them out!

Next year truly is the biggest year this franchise has had in many years though and this regime of SNow and Nolan should be on the clock with another non-playoff year!

Playoffs last year, this year you can use the injury bug, but next year there are no excuses! Lets see what Monday nights lottery and July 1 brings to the Isles fortune.
4 the record

Belmar, NJ

#13 Apr 6, 2008
Comeau just turned 22 and I think hes going to be a 2nd line player. This kid looks good so far.
sskier

AOL

#14 Apr 6, 2008
People. Are you kidding me? What FA is going to come here?????? No one worth a [email protected] is going to come to Long Island for a last place team and a sorry cesspool to play in. Going with youth is fine but these kids can't score. None of them are going to score 10 goals in a season except maybe oksopo. Tambellini is an absolute bust and won't score 5 goals if he played all year.
4 the record

Belmar, NJ

#15 Apr 6, 2008
comeau wont score 10 goals next year?? I think he scores close to 20 along with Okoposo. I think bergenheim wll be in the mid to upper teens range. You might be right about Tambellini but there are late bloomers but we;ll see. As for people not wanting to come here bc of a stadium. If you give someoen enough money or years they will play in your backyard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Comrie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Isles' Comrie also recovering from hip surgery (Sep '08) Jan '13 Lisa 10
News Mike Comrie retires from NHL after undergoing t... (Feb '12) Feb '12 candyee 1
News Pittsburgh Penguins Are On Fire: But a Question... (Dec '10) Jan '11 Marissa 2 14
News Hilary Duff engaged to NHL player (Feb '10) Feb '10 soWhat 1
News Pieces falling into place for refreshed Oilers (Oct '09) Oct '09 Jack Tupp 2
News Oilers sign Mike Comrie (Sep '09) Sep '09 Jack Tupp 1
News Heatley? Hell no (Jun '09) Jun '09 Jack Tupp 1
More from around the web