Islanders lose lead, but Hunter wins ...

Islanders lose lead, but Hunter wins it in OT

There are 13 comments on the Newsday story from Oct 17, 2008, titled Islanders lose lead, but Hunter wins it in OT. In it, Newsday reports that:

By all rights, it should have been the Islanders' kids who came unglued at the end of a game in which they let Tampa Bay come back twice in the third period.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

phishstyx

United States

#1 Oct 17, 2008
Go Phish!
mike

Bridgeport, CT

#2 Oct 17, 2008
Great Bounce back win. I feel this time off for DP to get into game shape is great for the team.He will be chomping at the bit to get in there.I think we will see Ricky better then he ever has been in the NHL this season
Mike

Wilmington, DE

#3 Oct 17, 2008
GREAT WIN last night-
But lets be honest- Tampa Bay gave this game to the Islanders-
The Lightning played like garbage especially Kolzig- That overtime goal was one of most pathetic laziest plays in hockey I've ever seen-
It was a lucky win and even though a win is a win, you have to be able to hold two goal leads in the third period.....just like baseball, you need a closer-
Busey

Melville, NY

#4 Oct 17, 2008
mike wrote:
I think we will see Ricky better then he ever has been in the NHL this season
That's not difficult to do... he is average at best... and has the body of an 80 year old...

Good Luck.
Rob

United States

#5 Oct 17, 2008
DP was in the top 10 in every statistical category through the All Star break last year. In direct comparison to Lundqvist they basically split the lead in the various categories. It was only after being named to the All-Star team that he began to fall apart.

In the end, he is a far better goaltender than his naysayers would have you believe and he is not nearly as good as his Kool-Aid drinkers would have you believe. He's definitely above average but he has yet to do anything to suggest that he is elite.
Wolf

Houston, TX

#6 Oct 17, 2008
Stop checking out DP 's body you homo.

Since: Jun 07

Oceanside, NY

#7 Oct 17, 2008
...and my team cant win one frickin' game. On to San Jose tonight, that's gonna be a mess. Isles are playing tough!
Busey

Melville, NY

#8 Oct 17, 2008
Wolf wrote:
Stop checking out DP 's body you ****.
good one Wolf.... you humor always has me cracking up...

like DP's hips
esse

Sherman Oaks, CA

#9 Oct 17, 2008
listen vatos, lets c'em get out of the fla high school league tour and maybe fifteen games or so into this season to c if this outfit is worth keeping my center ice account open..any buyers or takers at a discont rate...cheap will also install the dish in a tropical storm or hurricane like wheather...lets go isles....
RRL

Ridgewood, NY

#10 Oct 17, 2008
Thus far DP has been a very average goalie - except for when he's playing the Rangers or Devils, then he's definitely above average.

He will always be average overall unless he can find a way to bring the same level of performance to all or most of the games he plays rather than just when he's playing a rival.

For a butterfly style goalie he lets in way too many shots down low. He really, REALLY needs to stop laying on his back or stomach and flailing his limbs about like a schmuck in a vain attempt to stop the puck. That drives me nuts. It's much easier to stop the thing when you're not sprawled out on the ice.
Mike

Wilmington, DE

#11 Oct 17, 2008
RRL wrote:
Thus far DP has been a very average goalie - except for when he's playing the Rangers or Devils, then he's definitely above average.
He will always be average overall unless he can find a way to bring the same level of performance to all or most of the games he plays rather than just when he's playing a rival.
For a butterfly style goalie he lets in way too many shots down low. He really, REALLY needs to stop laying on his back or stomach and flailing his limbs about like a schmuck in a vain attempt to stop the puck. That drives me nuts. It's much easier to stop the thing when you're not sprawled out on the ice.
Well said- DP's OK...that's it.
He's not better than Brodeur or Lundqvist...just a wee bit better than Dubielwicz.....

He will end up being the downfall of the entire organization. He's all about himself- There's a reason pro sports teams never lock up players for too long- You'll see why after DP brings down an organization that's already sinking-
Islanders Inside Guy

Norwalk, CT

#12 Oct 17, 2008
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said- DP's OK...that's it.
He's not better than Brodeur or Lundqvist...just a wee bit better than Dubielwicz.....
He will end up being the downfall of the entire organization. He's all about himself- There's a reason pro sports teams never lock up players for too long- You'll see why after DP brings down an organization that's already sinking-
I read that and it makes me sad. I think it's because; though I don't agree with "downfall", you are correct in his slightly above average play unfortunately holding them back.
Gordon So Far: I have been to hundreds of hockey games, and seen everybody from Al Arbour to Scott Gordon. This guy impresses me every day. Installing sophisticated systems and effective implementation of them are two words that many find difficulty achieving. I believe this guy can and will be a coach of the year one day, hopefully here.
This ties into Gordon because I believe he will play the best goalie in an Islander uniform, not just Rick for Rick's sake. That being said, he will get a "good look".
Bailey who?
aka

New York, NY

#13 Oct 17, 2008
RRL wrote:

Yeah, also staying in his frigging net, not charging out halfway to the blue line, and have another skater banging into his empty nogging, and sustaining his 3rd concussion, along with 2 hip surgeries, this kid is not meant for a very long career if he does not get his act together.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Comrie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Isles' Comrie also recovering from hip surgery (Sep '08) Jan '13 Lisa 10
News Mike Comrie retires from NHL after undergoing t... (Feb '12) Feb '12 candyee 1
News Pittsburgh Penguins Are On Fire: But a Question... (Dec '10) Jan '11 Marissa 2 14
News Hilary Duff engaged to NHL player (Feb '10) Feb '10 soWhat 1
News Pieces falling into place for refreshed Oilers (Oct '09) Oct '09 Jack Tupp 2
News Oilers sign Mike Comrie (Sep '09) Sep '09 Jack Tupp 1
News Heatley? Hell no (Jun '09) Jun '09 Jack Tupp 1
More from around the web