NHL Free Agency: Why Patrick Marleau ...

NHL Free Agency: Why Patrick Marleau Isn't the Answer for the Maple Leafs

There are 27 comments on the BleacherReport story from May 24, 2010, titled NHL Free Agency: Why Patrick Marleau Isn't the Answer for the Maple Leafs. In it, BleacherReport reports that:

Now that the San Jose Sharks have been eliminated from the NHL playoffs, let the Patrick Marleau rumor train run wild.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BleacherReport.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Homosa

London, Canada

#1 May 24, 2010
I agree that atrick Marleau, great player that he is, will not be signing with the Leafs. For the reasons mentioned and I don't think Marleau wants to be on a Team that may be a fews away from being a contender.

Look for the Leafs to add young talented RFA players by route of trade (Ben Eager will be high on the list along with Bobby Ryan and James Neil)from teams with Cap or Financial issues.

Look for the Leafs to lock up Kulemin and Hanson long term or move then at the Draft. Package Kaberle, Mitchell,++. Demote Finger to minors

Next year's team should contend and may look like this:

Kulemin / Bozak / Kessel
Neil / Kadri / Ryan
Irwin / Grabovski / Eager
Sjostrom / Wallin / Orr

Phaneuf / Schenn
Gunnarsson / Komisarek
Oreskovic / Beauchemin

Gustavsson
Giguere
DEV STARR

Moose Jaw, Canada

#2 May 24, 2010
Homosa wrote:
I agree that atrick Marleau, great player that he is, will not be signing with the Leafs. For the reasons mentioned and I don't think Marleau wants to be on a Team that may be a fews away from being a contender.
Look for the Leafs to add young talented RFA players by route of trade (Ben Eager will be high on the list along with Bobby Ryan and James Neil)from teams with Cap or Financial issues.
Look for the Leafs to lock up Kulemin and Hanson long term or move then at the Draft. Package Kaberle, Mitchell,++. Demote Finger to minors
Kulemin / Bozak / Kessel
Neil / Kadri / Ryan
Sjostrom / Wallin / Orr
Phaneuf / Schenn
Gunnarsson / Komisarek
Oreskovic / Beauchemin
Gustavsson
Giguere
What are you going to do with Stalburg ? I thought he played good enough to be with the leafs next year..How about capputti ? They have high hopes for him too.. I think Grabovski is gone if they get a half decent offer and as far as Marleau goes I dont think He likes Wilson at all...I think it would be a bad idea to get him anyways..

“Authentic jerseys”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#3 May 25, 2010
Well,thanks.no more ideas.

“Authentic jerseys”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#4 May 25, 2010
Flyers advance to Stanley Cup finals

The Philadelphia Flyers have rekindled some of their old “Broad Street Bullies” championship days and are back in the Stanley Cup finals for the first time in 13 years.
DEV STARR

Moose Jaw, Canada

#5 May 25, 2010
The flys have done well,but the fun is over.. chicago will open up weaknessess that the flys didnt even know they had....
Khalid

Edmonton, Canada

#6 May 25, 2010
Homosa wrote:
Look for the Leafs to lock up Kulemin and Hanson long term or move then at the Draft. Package Kaberle, Mitchell,++. Demote Finger to minors Next year's team should contend and may look like this:
Kulemin / Bozak / Kessel
Neil / Kadri / Ryan
Sjostrom / Wallin / Orr
Phaneuf / Schenn
Gunnarsson / Komisarek
Oreskovic / Beauchemin
Gustavsson
Giguere
ya man like i agree with u on a lot of the things specially the bobby ryan deal.Like come on its not a pipe dream burke will go after him wheter or not he gets him is anybodys game but ya we'll c i also think grabo should be moved...we'll c

dmc

“NHL fan on strike ”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#7 Jun 7, 2010
Homosa wrote:
Kulemin / Bozak / Kessel
Neil / Kadri / Ryan
Sjostrom / Wallin / Orr
Phaneuf / Schenn
Gunnarsson / Komisarek
Oreskovic / Beauchemin
Gustavsson
Giguere
Kulemin will not be resigned. I just read an article on tsn saying that Burke has NOT spoke to his agent in a few weeks because he was asking for 3 million. He is a decent player, but he is NOT worth 3 million bucks and I do not think that he will be resigned if he keeps asking for that.

dmc

“NHL fan on strike ”

Location hidden

#8 Jun 7, 2010
DEV STARR

Moose Jaw, Canada

#9 Jun 7, 2010
dmc wrote:
<quoted text>
Kulemin will not be resigned. I just read an article on tsn saying that Burke has NOT spoke to his agent in a few weeks because he was asking for 3 million. He is a decent player, but he is NOT worth 3 million bucks and I do not think that he will be resigned if he keeps asking for that.
Hey dmc where have you been ??? How do you like the way the leafs are shaping up for the 2011 season ?? Kulemin might still get signed if he gets his head screwed on right and realizes his flashes of brilliance dont warrant three million... Make it more consistant and he will get the money..Nice to see you back.

dmc

“NHL fan on strike ”

Location hidden

#10 Jun 8, 2010
DEV STARR wrote:
<quoted text>Hey dmc where have you been ??? How do you like the way the leafs are shaping up for the 2011 season ?? Kulemin might still get signed if he gets his head screwed on right and realizes his flashes of brilliance dont warrant three million... Make it more consistant and he will get the money..Nice to see you back.
Kulemin needs too go out and score 20 -25 goals before he gets 3 million. If he can prove that he can do that, then he'll eventually get it if he stays on. As for the Leafs, I really wasn't too happy with them the past year. I'd like to see them get rid of Komi and Beauschamin cause I felt for a lot of times out there they were more a liability (when Komi was healthy) then an asset. I like the Phaneuf and Gigeure deals. Sucks that we had to give up Hagman and White though. Kessel is a good player but we gave up a steep price for him. As for where I've been, well, when I left, it seemed like there was NOBODY on here (you or anyone) and it kind of felt like I was just talking to myself out here so I left. A day or two a go was basically the first time I had come back in about a year. However, I was still following the team and watching the games. Hahaha, I see "The Flash" came back after being laughed out of the forum lol. Doesn't seem like anything has changed with that guy, his rants make him look like a retard and I'm still laughing at him lol. Although last year was pretty brutal. How you been lately?
DEV STARR

Moose Jaw, Canada

#11 Jun 8, 2010
I thought beauch played pretty good after about half the season was over,and komi never did get my approval.. didnt impress me a bit. And i was really disapointed that white was in the deal,since he was our best defenseman up to the point of the trade.. Hagman was a surprise in the deal also,but he wasnt as consistant as he had been,seemed like his effort was getting more and more sporatic..
san jose sharks FINatic

San Jose, CA

#12 Jun 8, 2010
keep patty keep patty

dmc

“NHL fan on strike ”

Location hidden

#13 Jun 8, 2010
DEV STARR wrote:
I thought beauch played pretty good after about half the season was over,and komi never did get my approval.. didnt impress me a bit. And i was really disapointed that white was in the deal,since he was our best defenseman up to the point of the trade.. Hagman was a surprise in the deal also,but he wasnt as consistant as he had been,seemed like his effort was getting more and more sporatic..
I think he was our top scorer (Hagman) or one of our leading point earners. Yeah, I hated Komi, was never good on defence, and always took dumb penalties when we had a terrible penalty kill. Wouldn't hurt to buy him out. I thought that Gustavsson got better as the year went on. I also don't think it really affected us getting rid of Ponikarovsky either. He was a healthy scratch quite a bit during the playoffs for Pittsburgh.
DEV STARR

Moose Jaw, Canada

#14 Jun 8, 2010
Gustavson got real steady at the end of the year and impressed me.. I think he has bought into his coaches teaching.. He could be a real good one.. Pony should have been gone a long time ago.. When the tough games were on the line ,he disapeared as pitts found out.. He wont go to the difficult places to play are.. that is why he was scratched a couple of times in the playoffs. Hopefully kommie will get traded so we dont have to eat anymore salarie like we are doing with tucker..

dmc

“NHL fan on strike ”

Location hidden

#15 Jun 8, 2010
DEV STARR wrote:
Gustavson got real steady at the end of the year and impressed me.. I think he has bought into his coaches teaching.. He could be a real good one.. Pony should have been gone a long time ago.. When the tough games were on the line ,he disapeared as pitts found out.. He wont go to the difficult places to play are.. that is why he was scratched a couple of times in the playoffs. Hopefully kommie will get traded so we dont have to eat anymore salarie like we are doing with tucker..
Yeah that would be a better option then buying him out. Lets just hope that someone will take his contract. Agreed with Poni, I'd like to see this team start performing better under pressure. Every time they get a chance to jump into a playoff spot (and they did have a chance to at least around Dec/Jan) it's like they think "Oh, we can't have that, better pull a dud this game!" It's quite frusterating to see that the past few years....
DEV STARR

Moose Jaw, Canada

#16 Jun 9, 2010
I wonder if Wilson isnt part of the problem too. I think some of the players get sick of his aspie type personality and just quit playing the way they should.. You look at stempniak after he went to phoenix.. went on a real scoring spree.. We expected him to do a lot better than he did in toronto.. I think ron wilson is a good coach,but his personality may be a detriment to long term success.

dmc

“NHL fan on strike ”

Location hidden

#17 Jun 9, 2010
DEV STARR wrote:
I wonder if Wilson isnt part of the problem too. I think some of the players get sick of his aspie type personality and just quit playing the way they should.. You look at stempniak after he went to phoenix.. went on a real scoring spree.. We expected him to do a lot better than he did in toronto.. I think ron wilson is a good coach,but his personality may be a detriment to long term success.
Yeah but I think it's more then just coaching. A coach can only do so much, and we've had 3 coaches since 2006 and NONE of them have taken us to the playoffs since the post lockout.
DEV STARR

Moose Jaw, Canada

#18 Jun 9, 2010
I agree dmc,there is more to the losing than wilson,like not very good players,or not tough enough players or floaters like antro and pony for so many years..

dmc

“NHL fan on strike ”

Location hidden

#19 Jun 10, 2010
DEV STARR wrote:
I agree dmc,there is more to the losing than wilson,like not very good players,or not tough enough players or floaters like antro and pony for so many years..
Just think, if we didn't trade all our draft picks before the lockout began, then they prolly wouldn't have been in this mess to begin with. For one thing, we would've had Brad Boyes if we didn't trade for Nolan. Wouldn't that have been nice?
DEV STARR

Moose Jaw, Canada

#20 Jun 10, 2010
Absolutly we would have been better off keeping our draft picks,rather then trading them for older players that just didnt pan out. This has been a sore spot for years... we could have had niedermeyer in our fold too except for a draft pick trade.. A quick fix always seems to really fix us........in a bad way. Even now burke came into the leafs saying he was going to build slow but surely......now he is getting a little antsie and talking about building a little quicker.......that could be a big mistake.....we will see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Luke Schenn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News James van Riemsdyk, Luke Schenn Swap Working Ou... (Feb '13) Feb '13 frghkl 1
News NHL Flyers pushing forward while waiting for NH... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Sharon 1
News Luke Schenn's Upside (Jul '12) Oct '12 Barney 3
News Toronto Maple Leafs Trade Rumors: 5 Reasons Tor... (Jun '12) Jul '12 loyalblue 2
News Will the Leafs trade Luke Schenn? (Jun '12) Jun '12 i_m_watching 2
News Leafs Talk: Sorry to Say It, but the Toronto Ma... (Jan '12) Feb '12 dmc 4
News Ovechkin's hat-trick lifts Caps past Leafs (Feb '11) Feb '11 Dev Starr 3
More from around the web