His kind of town | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

R.J. Umberger stands at the Union Station Arch near Nationwide Arena. "R.J. epitomizes a lot of what we want and like our players to be," said general manager Scott Howson.
Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Oct 28, 2010
Teeth

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Columbus has a hockey team? In the NHL? Really???
Mango Bango Boo 2 U

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Yeah, the Columbus BJ's. They suck.
Mary

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

R.J. is a great guy and player. Thanks for the article. Love the pic of him.
Appreciative

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Good story, Tom Reed. Nicely written, balanced and appropriate. Good read.
Who Who

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Mary wrote:
R.J. is a great guy and player. Thanks for the article. Love the pic of him.
I whole heartedly disagree. The guy runs his bleeping pie hole far more than he ever gave effort on Columbus ice. Just another example of a guy who only runs his mouth and brings nothing else. This guy is supposed to be the heart and sole of this team, and this team still QUIT last year. The team still quit with its leader playing major minutes. What a great example for kids to follow. A quitter!!! Speaks volumes about the Jackets!!!
Bob Probert

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Who Who wrote:
<quoted text> I whole heartedly disagree. The guy runs his bleeping pie hole far more than he ever gave effort on Columbus ice. Just another example of a guy who only runs his mouth and brings nothing else. This guy is supposed to be the heart and sole of this team, and this team still QUIT last year. The team still quit with its leader playing major minutes. What a great example for kids to follow. A quitter!!! Speaks volumes about the Jackets!!!
You are a first rate Jack Ass! I would love to see your sorry arse lace em up, you wouldn't last 10 seconds before I ran your head in the boards. Nice try Loser!
Still a CBJ fan

Maple Heights, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Exactly Bob! Who Who doesn't know what he is talking about. While the rest of the team stopped trying last season, R.J. still played his heart out and he is no quitter. I can only imagine how frustrating that was for him and he deserves all the kudos he gets. The CBJ's are lucky to have him!
9 Dollar Beer

Maineville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Umberger is a nice player and excellent competitor. He makes things happen by keeping his feet moving and grinding out every shift. It's also refreshing to see a player embrace the community that has given him the opportunity to shine.
Roddy M

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Funny, one guy from your entire team stays in columbus? That's pretty sad but a truthful reflection of the fact columbus has nothing going on.
Steelcitytranspl ant

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

I love RJ'S game! He makes fellow Pittsbughers proud, If Rick Nash had RJ'S heart and desire he would be a top 5 NHL player instead of a overated, and underachieving one
TKG

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Maybe it's time for the team to start putting RJ forward as the face of the franshise. The fact that he's embracing the city helps, but he does seem to have more leadership ability. Nash can move over and let RJ be the guy.

That's not without precedent. As great as Gretzky was, Mark Messier was the leader of those Oilers' teams. The Great One was the stick of dynamite who could put up points like nobody's business, but Messier was the spark that lit the fuse.

Nash is clearly more comfortable in a subdued role. You saw that ont he Olympic team. Though much younger, Sydney Crosby seemed to step up. He was the star player but he also embraced the challenge of leadership. Nash followed. RJ seems eager to lead and the CBJ should let that transition occur.

That's not to say Nash is a bad guy, he's just not cut out to have the burden of leasership placed n his shoulders. Far better to admit it and let somebody else take the helm than to steer the ship into troubled waters.
Insecure in Cincy

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Roddy M wrote:
Funny, one guy from your entire team stays in columbus? That's pretty sad but a truthful reflection of the fact columbus has nothing going on.
Why do you post negative comments about Columbus everyday? You're some kind of loser to troll the Dispatch website on a daily basis and post your drivel. Nobody cares what you have to say about Columbus or how great you think Cincinnati is.

RJ has a ton of heart and gives maximum effort every night. So far, he and the Jackets are playing well. Hopefully they can keep it up and get back to the playoffs.

Since: Oct 10

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Roddy M wrote:
It happens in every sport and every city. Get a clue.
HJG

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Great article! Nice to learn more about one of my favorite players.
For those once again bashing Nash - it takes all kinds of leaders to motivate. Some leaders are quiet and some are loud. Last time I checked, we are not in the locker room.
Both of these guys have a lot of class.
queencityhush

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

If the CBJS had a roster that was comprised of players who had the grit, determination and drive that R.J has we would win the Stanley Cup every year.

With all do respect to Rick Nash, RJ should be the Captain. He leads by example and vocally. I think Rick is a world class hockey player who didnt want to say no to being a captain.
Sandy

Elgin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

This is yet just another Cowtown Dispatch story to pimp the BJ's, a team that the Dispatch owns minority share in. I bet R.J. Is a descent fella who is fond of Cowtown but who has bad skid marks in his underpants.
Tribucks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Great and overdue article on RJ. If we had 2 or 3 more Umbergers we'd have a far better team.
ALEX

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Both DISPATCH and Columbus powers-that-be should
be tremendously embarrassed and ashamed still,
for having destroyed UNION STATION decades ago.
Publishing a photo of the pitiful remaining arch
IS sad, sad, sad, indeed!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ken Hitchcock Discussions

Search the Ken Hitchcock Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NHL Predictions 2013: Standings Projections for... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Brian Burke 3
Who will be the Minnesota Wild's next coach? (Apr '11) Apr '11 Janks 8
Jackets' Umberger no longer has a Philadelphia ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Yep 5
Jackets' Umberger no longer has a Philadelphia ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 eli_whitney 2
Blue Jackets: For Upshall, irritation is part o... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Joe_Schmoe 1
Blue Jackets: For Upshall, irritation is part o... (Mar '11) Mar '11 WHS76 1
Michael Arace commentary: Filatov looks too muc... (Oct '10) Nov '10 Real Deal 22
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••